GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My 02 GS430 lease is coming to an end

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-05 | 10:17 AM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Default My 02 GS430 lease is coming to an end

Goodbye cruel world....LOL! Just kidding!

I've read thru some of the past threads that are out here and understand many of the items that I am debating in my decision of which new car to get. Most of these cars have the features I am looking for but wanted to get some additional input from the great base of knowledge that is Club Lexus . In the end, it will probably come down to who is willing to give me the best deal and some fine tuning on which specific options that available vehicles have.

I could extend my lease 6 months, but typically the best deals are given in December and I would like to access these specials that won't exist come June.

Cars that I am considering include: (all cars will come with most or all options, (bluetooth, Levinson or comparable option from other dealers, navigation, etc. ...although I am trying to avoid any upgraded rims since this will be one of the 1st things I buy for any vehicle.)

06 GS 430 (Blue Onyx Pearl)
06 C55 AMG (Black )
06 Cadillac CTS-V (Black)
06 Infinity M45 (Black)
06 Jaguar XKR (Black) (probably a little on the high side, price wise, for me, but I really like the looks)
02 911 Carrera Coupe (Lapis Blue)(always wanted one, but probably not practical at this point since I have a 400 plus HP Z28 as well)

Probably my decision wil come down to the GS 430, C55 AMG, or the Infinity M45. I have seen and read the reviews on these cars and done some research out at Edmunds.

After such great success with my 1st Lexus I would have not even considered the other vehicles if it weren't for the lack of power in the new GS. I am very disappointed that they didn't increase the HP to the high 300's or 400's, or at least offer this as an option. The AMG has 362hp and the Infinity 340 hp I believe and the CTS-V has 400hp.

I know of GM's quality issues (although GM's that I have owned in the past have been very reliable for me) and this may impact any decision on the CTS-V, plus I wasn't extremely impressed with the CTS-V's interior (my friend has an one, I think an '04 not sure if they have improved the '06 models). Although the new interior of the Lexus is nice (the various leather packages) they seem like a downgrade from my '02 (strange as that may sound). But my '02 interior seems more plush than any of the GS's I drove or sat in while at the dealer. But I do like many of the new features in the new GS, I just wish they put more power in it.

Anyway, thoughts, comments, suggestions, flaming is all appreciated. Well maybe not the flaming part! Thanks in advance.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 12-12-05 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-12-05 | 11:34 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by WhiteTiger
Probably my decision wil come down to the GS 430, C55 AMG, or the Infinity M45. I have seen and read the reviews on these cars and done some research out at Edmunds.
06 C55 AMG (Black ) - the C-class doesn't do much for me, but the AMG badge sure does. Serious performance, but not sure I'd spend that kind of money on a C.

06 Infinity M45 (Black) - a car I seriously considered before ending up with my GS. I think it looks great in black. Performance wise, it's a blast to drive. However, I just couldn't get over the interior of the M, from the orange lighting, to the busy ATM like dash, it just didn't do it for me. But if they could clean up the interior, I'd gladly buy the M with no regrets. Price wise, you can probably get a better deal on a M than the GS430.

06 GS 430 (Blue Onyx Pearl) - coming from a 2nd gen GS, you know exactly what to expect from Lexus and the GS. The technological advancements are great on the GS, but if the lack of power is bothersome to you, I'd pass on the GS430. If you can hold off until the GS460 or 450H makes it to the States, then by all means do so.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 12-12-05 | 04:56 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
06 C55 AMG (Black ) - the C-class doesn't do much for me, but the AMG badge sure does. Serious performance, but not sure I'd spend that kind of money on a C.

06 Infinity M45 (Black) - a car I seriously considered before ending up with my GS. I think it looks great in black. Performance wise, it's a blast to drive. However, I just couldn't get over the interior of the M, from the orange lighting, to the busy ATM like dash, it just didn't do it for me. But if they could clean up the interior, I'd gladly buy the M with no regrets. Price wise, you can probably get a better deal on a M than the GS430.

06 GS 430 (Blue Onyx Pearl) - coming from a 2nd gen GS, you know exactly what to expect from Lexus and the GS. The technological advancements are great on the GS, but if the lack of power is bothersome to you, I'd pass on the GS430. If you can hold off until the GS460 or 450H makes it to the States, then by all means do so.

Good luck with your purchase.
That was my only issue as well when i visited the infiniti dealer....the dash layout is just plain WRONG!
Good luck in your decision.
Old 12-12-05 | 06:40 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS4fun
That was my only issue as well when i visited the infiniti dealer....the dash layout is just plain WRONG!
Good luck in your decision.
I agree, the M45 is a great car but the center screen in the dash reminds me of looking at an ATM machine....I wouldn't mind it if I could stick my bank card in and get instant cash while I drive
Old 12-12-05 | 06:50 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Goodbye cruel world....LOL! Just kidding!

Thanks in advance.
For pure performance, the C55 is a beast but then you have the MB quality issues. If you dump the car on or before the warranty ends, then you don't have to worry about forking out big repair $$$$'s

M45 is great except for the interior...just can stand that ATM machine look.

GS430 - Great car but since you seem to want performance, you'll probably wish you waited for the GS460. decisions, decisions, decisions...good luck
Old 12-12-05 | 07:09 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

the AMG would be sweet as long as it doesn't break down. if you only plan to keep it as long as warranty and the $ is not an issue, go for the benz.

otherwise, I'd hold out for the GS460.
Old 12-12-05 | 07:11 PM
4thone
Intermediate

I wanted a 430 but my winters call for the AWD300.I wish the 300 had the 305hp IS engen,that would have ben a perfect match.I do like my GS,wait for the 460.
Old 12-13-05 | 07:22 AM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the responses! Much appreciated.

Last night I checked out the M45 and C55 AMG in person.

The M45 and GS430 are both more technologically enabled than the AMG, this disappointed me re: the AMG. And sadly the bluetooh option is not yet available from MB.

I agree with you guys on the M45, that center dash is funky, almost like an ATM, and the orange dash lighting takes getting used to. Otherwise a very nice car with some nice power 335 hp/340 tq. Not much less than the AMG at 362 hp. Also the M45 colors didn't impress me. The black wasn't like the AMG black and the Twilight Blue was ok, but nothing awe striking like the Black Onyx Pearl of my 02 GS 430.

Unfortunately the guy I'm working with at Lexus can't find a GS 430 with Levinson/NAV, WTF is that all about? He stated that they don't get many 430's to begin with and then to find one with Levinson/NAV is even harder. He plans to check his allotments later this week for one but I'm not holding out hope, let alone get one that is Blue Onyx Pearl.

I would love to wait for the 460, but they will only extend my lease 6 months and unfortunately the December lease deals won't be around come June.

And I do understand the MB quality issues, but having a 36/39 month lease I won't have to worry since I don't plan to keep the car. On an interesting side note, both Randy McMichael (Dolphins starting TE) and the Rock were in to the MB dealership that same day. Unfortunately I missed them by a few hours.

Anyway, keep the comments coming (where's mmarshall? hmm?) and I plan to hit a few more dealers after work tonight. Shopping thru the internet is great, saves lots of time at the dealership and dealing with car salesman....LOL!
Old 12-13-05 | 02:46 PM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

This afternoon I checked out and test drove the Cadillac CTS. To be honest, I was impressed with the car. Most technology options except Bluetooth and it comes with 400 hp and a 6 spd manual transmission.

Checking out another Infinity Dealer tonight. Waiting to hear from 2 more MB dealers.

Sadly enough JM Lexus also couldn't find a GS430 with Levinson/NAV.
Old 12-13-05 | 04:17 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

This afternoon I checked out and test drove the Cadillac CTS. To be honest, I was impressed with the car. Most technology options except Bluetooth and it comes with 400 hp and a 6 spd manual transmission.

Checking out another Infinity Dealer tonight. Waiting to hear from 2 more MB dealers.

That's interesting, when I was shopping for my GS430, every one I saw had the Nav/ML package (but no PCS).

The CTS is pretty powerful...exterior doesn't do much for me. Who knows about long term reliability, but that isn't an issue since you're leasing.
Old 12-13-05 | 04:54 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

I remember reading in C&D about the CTS-V they tested about a year ago. It was fast but is suffered from axle hop. According to them, one too many hard launches + axle hop will result in premature failure of the rear diff unit. Did GM ever improve this or does the CTS-V still exhibit axle hop when launched hard
Old 12-14-05 | 09:58 AM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Very disappointed in Lexus, stopped back by JM Lexus last night and the guy I have been working with re-affirmed that it is almost impossible to find a 430 with Lev/NAV. The car is the best ergonomically for me, but interesting enough I think it is less ergonomic for me than my 2002.

Originally Posted by rheiy
I remember reading in C&D about the CTS-V they tested about a year ago. It was fast but is suffered from axle hop. According to them, one too many hard launches + axle hop will result in premature failure of the rear diff unit. Did GM ever improve this or does the CTS-V still exhibit axle hop when launched hard
It's called driving ability. I have a 500hp Z28 with a 5 speed and it's all about knowing how to launch, you don't need to drop a clutch at 4000 rpm to launch. Although with a lease, this would be covered under warranty. They have also improved the suspension and I confirmed that with Consumer Reports.

Right now I am down to the M45 and the CTS-V. But may not do either.

When I leased my '02 the only things I didn't like about the car were the coin box and the rear hangers for my suitcoat. Which are minor, any of the cars that I look at have more important items that I tend to dislike.

GS430 - not enough power and steering and handling leaves something to be desired.
C55 AMG - interior not technologically advanced enough and reliability issues/price.
M45 - Orange Dash lights and that ATM feel (although Consumer Reports praises this for ease of use) I plan to go back and play with the dash w/o the salesman in the car
CTS-V - Nervous about reliabilty but interesting enough Consumer Reports grades the car very well. And having driven it, the car seems good but no Bluetooth (which I can probably live w/o). CR knocks the dash a bi, but I think this is a personal thing. So I also plan to test it w/o the salesperson around.
Old 12-14-05 | 10:05 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

for the caddy's credit, I must admit 400hp and a 6spd manual stock sound VERY enticing.

what kind of 1/4 mile times does it run and what is the governed top speed?
Old 12-14-05 | 10:34 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

GS430 - not enough power and steering and handling leaves something to be desired.
C55 AMG - interior not technologically advanced enough and reliability issues/price.
M45 - Orange Dash lights and that ATM feel (although Consumer Reports praises this for ease of use) I plan to go back and play with the dash w/o the salesman in the car
CTS-V - Nervous about reliabilty but interesting enough Consumer Reports grades the car very well. And having driven it, the car seems good but no Bluetooth (which I can probably live w/o). CR knocks the dash a bi, but I think this is a personal thing. So I also plan to test it w/o the salesperson around.
Sorry to hear about the troubles finding the GS430. Have you checked out the possibility of buying from a CA dealer and shipping to you? I know most dealers here price aggressively, so it may be cost feasible.

But if the GS is off the list, I'd go with the M45. Although I have a few issues with the interior, it offers the most bang for the buck. And it has all the technological bells and whistles you seem to like.
Old 12-14-05 | 10:39 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rheiy

It's called driving ability. I have a 500hp Z28 with a 5 speed and it's all about knowing how to launch, you don't need to drop a clutch at 4000 rpm to launch. .

I disagree. if a car is prone to wheel hop, it's going to do it anytime you spin the tires. if you have a 400hp mt, I'm sure you can roast the tires at will in 1st or 2nd. you should be able to do that without wheel hop.

now if you're saying driver skill as in not spinning the tires, yes that will help. like I said though,you should be able to leave a strip or two without wheel hop.

Quick Reply: My 02 GS430 lease is coming to an end