GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS430/IS350 What should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-05, 12:05 AM
ocangelfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS430/IS350 What should I get?

OK, I'm looking for some opinions here to help me figure out what to do. I previously owned a GS300. My current baby is a 2003 GS430, fully loaded, but stock. I love this car, best I've every driven.

My lease is up next month. This is a "company" car, so I need to get a new lease. Problem is, I'm not sure what I should get.

The '06 GS430 exterior styling, honestly, is not as clean ad the 2nd Gen GS exteriors. A 2ndGen GS400/430 with the spoiler just looks *fast*. The '06 430 to me just doesn't have that look. I don't know if it's just something that I will grow into, or what. When the first 2nd Gen GS came out, it really stood out to me -- it had a very unique look. I don't feel the same with this current model. Plus, it looks to me like the 430 is going to be the middle of the road model, with the hybrid and the 460 coming out.

I looked at the IS350, and wow, for performance, that seems like the car for the moment. It's got better performance than my current GS430, and the '06 430. My concern with the IS is the size of the car -- I like the roominess and luxury of the GS. How realistic is it to haul kids around in the back of the IS versus the GS? My kids love the ride in the GS, in the IS I don't know...

I get the feeling that right *now* is a bad time for me to be trading cars, with new GS models clearly on the horizon, but I have no choice. If only I could defer this for another year or two...

So, please, any thought on the GS or IS would be valued!

Thanks!

- Scott
Old 12-16-05, 12:12 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've driven both...get the GS. The IS is super fun to drive and haul around but like you said, your kids may not like the cramped space in the rear seat. The GS430 is no slouch by the way. Just heavier/bigger 8cly version of the IS.

How many younguns do you plan to drive around and how often do they ride in the car with you?
Old 12-16-05, 12:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if it has to be between the 06 gs430 and 06 is350? the gs430 for me
Old 12-16-05, 07:50 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2IS is nice and all but it just doesn't suit me as well as the 3GS does.
Old 12-16-05, 08:22 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ocangelfan
OK, I'm looking for some opinions here to help me figure out what to do. I previously owned a GS300. My current baby is a 2003 GS430, fully loaded, but stock. I love this car, best I've every driven.

My lease is up next month. This is a "company" car, so I need to get a new lease. Problem is, I'm not sure what I should get.

The '06 GS430 exterior styling, honestly, is not as clean ad the 2nd Gen GS exteriors. A 2ndGen GS400/430 with the spoiler just looks *fast*. The '06 430 to me just doesn't have that look. I don't know if it's just something that I will grow into, or what. When the first 2nd Gen GS came out, it really stood out to me -- it had a very unique look. I don't feel the same with this current model. Plus, it looks to me like the 430 is going to be the middle of the road model, with the hybrid and the 460 coming out.

I looked at the IS350, and wow, for performance, that seems like the car for the moment. It's got better performance than my current GS430, and the '06 430. My concern with the IS is the size of the car -- I like the roominess and luxury of the GS. How realistic is it to haul kids around in the back of the IS versus the GS? My kids love the ride in the GS, in the IS I don't know...

I get the feeling that right *now* is a bad time for me to be trading cars, with new GS models clearly on the horizon, but I have no choice. If only I could defer this for another year or two...

Thanks!

- Scott
You didn't say how many kids you have or how old they are. The IS's rear can comfotably seat 2 average-sized people (5'7"-170lb and under). The GS has a bit more room in the back seat, although I don't think anyone would want to sit over the middle hump in the GS, either. Up front, the room is not that different. Feature for feature, the IS has just about everything the GS has, plus a more youthful appeal, a larger trunk (13 vs 12 cubic feet), wider rear wheel/tires (8.5" wheels and 255/40 tires), and is more fun to drive (easily out-accelerates the GS). It also has bixenon and Gen 5 NAV. The GS has adjustable suspension (I don't know how good or useful it is), a "safer" (more intrusive) VDIM (imagine that, critics already cry foul over IS350's VDIM), is higher on Lexus's "pecking order," and has a little more leather/wood with a more mature overtone. For that, you pay AT LEAST a $10k premium for a comparably equipped GS430. The 2007 GS460 may reestablish its performance edge--but at what price?! Both are great cars to own, which one is better for you depends on your need/desire--same argument/comparison between IS350 and 330i, an GS430 vs 545.

Last edited by jlin101; 12-16-05 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-16-05, 09:43 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks!

- Scott
Hi Scott, if the upcoming GS engine change is a concern, can't you just do a two year lease (since it's on your company's dime)?

If your priority is straight performance, the IS350 on paper is a better choice. But if your priority is size and luxury, the GS is for you. I think the new IS is fantastic, but I prefer the larger size of the GS.
Old 12-16-05, 10:27 AM
ocangelfan
Driver School Candidate

I've got three kids, but the oldest is 10, so it's not like driving adults around. I've got one I take to school every day, but I don't usually have all three with me.

I do take customers out to lunch occasionally, and that I feel could be an issue with the IS. Although it could be a pretty short journey with 306hp in that size of car

How quiet is the IS350 on the freeway/highway, anyone know how it compares to the GS? Does it also have Bluetooth for cell phone integration?

I think what is really bothering me about the new GS is I'm just not liking the body style like the gen 2 cars. My opinion, the Gen 2 cars gotta have the rear spoiler, and at least 17" wheels to look right, and with that they look awesome. I don't have the same feeling with the Gen 3 cars -- anyone else feel this way?

Maybe I just need to get used to it though...

Thanks for the input!
Old 12-16-05, 10:55 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

I think what is really bothering me about the new GS is I'm just not liking the body style like the gen 2 cars. My opinion, the Gen 2 cars gotta have the rear spoiler, and at least 17" wheels to look right, and with that they look awesome. I don't have the same feeling with the Gen 3 cars -- anyone else feel this way?
As a previous 2nd Gen GS owner who loved his GS (since '98), I would say it's a stretch saying a stock 2nd gen GS looks "awesome." IMHO, a stock 2nd gen GS is somewhat boring. However, a modded 2nd gen can look fantastic though. That's why I added some subtle mods (body kit, suspension, wheels).

Put a stock 3rd gen GS next to a stock 2nd gen GS and it's apparent how modern the new GS is. But that's to be expected since the 2nd gen is about 8 years old in design. As much as I liked the 2nd gen GS, I really love the L-Finesse design style Lexus has adopted. The GS and IS look great, and the new LS looks very promising.
Old 12-16-05, 11:03 AM
ocangelfan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
As a previous 2nd Gen GS owner who loved his GS (since '98), I would say it's a stretch saying a stock 2nd gen GS looks "awesome." IMHO, a stock 2nd gen GS is somewhat boring. However, a modded 2nd gen can look fantastic though. That's why I added some subtle mods (body kit, suspension, wheels).
You're probably right, that's a bit of a stretch, but about the only thing I ever thought my 2nd Gen needed was something like the L-tuned suspension to tighten it up and lower it a bit. Aside from that, even with the stock wheels it's a fantastic looking car.

Are there L-tuned mods available for the 3rd Gen GS or 2nd Gen IS? If I do make any mods, it seems like L-tuned is the safest way to go on a lease vehicle.
Old 12-16-05, 11:32 AM
ocangelfan
Driver School Candidate

Answered my own question I think about L-tuned, I found the website. It doesn't look like there's much available for the 06 models yet...
Old 12-16-05, 11:58 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got three kids, but the oldest is 10, so it's not like driving adults around. I've got one I take to school every day, but I don't usually have all three with me.

I do take customers out to lunch occasionally, and that I feel could be an issue with the IS. Although it could be a pretty short journey with 306hp in that size of car

How quiet is the IS350 on the freeway/highway, anyone know how it compares to the GS? Does it also have Bluetooth for cell phone integration?

Thanks for the input!
I think many adults would not be comfortable in the backseat of the IS. I am about
5'10'' 165lb and my legs just would not fit there. The GS is quite a bit better for me (though
not fantastic either).

I also had a 2GS (01 GS430) and I absolutely loved the car. It was badass for its time.
I am not entirely fond of the 3GS styling either, but the AWD made me get it. A lot of
people have told me that they love the way it looks, though.

I still think that for luxury V8 is better than any V6's I have driven (although I have not
driven the IS350 yet).
Old 12-16-05, 12:48 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the input!
I am 5'8" and 170lb, and I can sit behind myself in the IS with relative comfort (knees not touching the seatback, or the head touching the headliner). I've sat in the back of a GS, and althouth it is roomier, it's nowhere near an LS. So I would rate the IS's back seat a 6 and the GS 7(LS would be a 9). Lexus has significantly improved the quality of materials used in the IS, so I don't think the GS is any more luxurious than the IS, other than having some additional leather and wood. Subjectively the IS is as quiet as the GS on the freeway, even with 18" wheels/tires. And yes, the IS does have NAV (gen 5) with Bluetooth. You also get MP3 capability and Aux input for MP3 player (both features not available in the GS yet). On top of all this there is bixenon. Even if Lexus sells IS350 and GS430 at similar prices, I would still have a tough time choosing a GS430 over IS350, let alone at a 14k difference. No offense to the GS owners; I went to Lexus in the spring with the intention of buying the new GS, but left disappointed because it lost the performance edge over the previous generation. Happily I found the "oomph" in the new IS350.
Old 12-16-05, 12:52 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the input!
I agree with you. As a former 2nd gen GS owner, I just don't think the new GS has the road presence of the car it replaced. My black '03 GS3 with L-tuned kit and 18" BBS rims was a beauty. The new one is "pretty" and modern, but IMHO not very sport looking. I really liked it when it first came out but now that I've seen a few on the road it no longer interests me. Just my personal opinion.

As someone who is totally objective, if I ever decided to trade my M for a Lexus I would go for the IS350 over the GS430 in a heartbeat. I think it looks really slick.
Old 12-16-05, 02:11 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Are there L-tuned mods available for the 3rd Gen GS or 2nd Gen IS? If I do make any mods, it seems like L-tuned is the safest way to go on a lease vehicle.
L-Tuned no longer exists, but it looks like there are OEM aftermarket parts available from the ever dependable Steve Ganz.. The body kit looks pretty nice. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187530
Old 12-16-05, 06:46 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
As a previous 2nd Gen GS owner who loved his GS (since '98), I would say it's a stretch saying a stock 2nd gen GS looks "awesome."
Agreed. The 2GS looks very dated these days. Stock vs. stock unbiased people (non 2GS owners )
would think the 3GS is more sporty.

The 3GS is slowly winning me over, especially after seeing some of the mods in this forum.
What is missing is a classy, yet agressive grill. I think that would improve its road presence.

Quick Reply: GS430/IS350 What should I get?