GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Why a GS over an M35/45/Nissan Fuga?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-05, 01:45 PM
LexFather

As for those worried about sport, now that we can disable the VDIM, I wonder how the GS performs with it turned off in comparison to the M35/45 now.

Even with it on, its not like 99% of the people here even drive it that hard.

You can't go wrong with either car. Though remember, a M35/45 is a Nissan Fuga with Inifniti badges, while the Lexus is a now a Lexus and this company further creates its legacy and has clearly shown it has a FULL understanding of luxury. The GS 450h coming further shows the advanced thought of this company.

Its hard to ignore that the M45 sport is cheaper than a GS 430 to start, its an attractive price.

"God is in the details"

Old 12-19-05, 02:14 PM
gs430jw
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can afford it, get a CLS500, now to your question. It all depends on what you’re looking for. I drove both cars before I made my choice. The 430 just seemed more luxurious and the interior is incredible. On the other hand the m45 was sportier yet the interior is horrible, but 333 (???) horses make up for that.

If you already own a M, Go with the GS430! But get a good color like 1) black 2) silver 3) white. Trust me, people will probably flame me for this but it's the truth
Old 12-19-05, 07:57 PM
GSKING430
Driver

All These People Posting About Infinits And Bmw's Because They Want To Know From The Best (lexus) Because They Have Insequrities When We Roll Up To There Fugas
Old 12-19-05, 08:26 PM
nopcbs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Neither

Originally Posted by Scott in H
My wife currently owns an M35, and I'm in the market to get a new sedan as well.

We LOOOVE the M35. I almost want another one, but the thought of having 2 of the same sedan is pretty boring to me. But that being said, I may get another Infiniti.

I'm evaluating it vs. the GS300/430. I'll likely get a the V8 of either make btw.

Anyway, I'd like this board's input on why the GS over the Infiniti.

I'll list what I think it's better and not as good and you can add or feed off of my list:

Lexus pros:
I like the styling better.
Prefer the color options of the Lexus
The ultra luxury is nicer (less sporty but that's ok for this car purchase)
Lexus Service
Interior lighting and layout is better looking IMO
Resale
Rear shade

Lexus Cons:
No MP3 CD possibility
No Aux input in the arm rest
GS350/460 coming soon...
The screen placement looks like it would be hard to see in certain lights of day for NAV and/or DVD viewing (Yes, I'd do the hack so my wife could view DVDs and use Nav while moving)
The Screen doesn't loo as good as Infiniti's

Infiniti Pros:
More HP / Lesser cost by a little
MP3 CD's in all 6 CD slots and possible on DVD
Rear DVD screen from factory is an option
The Nav screen seems superior and I like the 'bird's eye' view option
Speakers in driver and passenger seat's shoulders, sounds great w/ surround sound

Infiniti Cons:
I have one already
Color choices interior and exterior aren't as nice
The navigation ergonomics aren't as good (no touch screen)

This is a tough choice!

I think you'd be foolish to get either since they are so close and you already have one. Why not something really special, like an E46 M3 with a manual tranny. Those things are the most fun you can have in a sedan. Way more fun than any GS or M-series Infiniti. And they hold their value much better than either. If I had an extra 50k rattling around, that's exactly what I'd get (already have a 330i zhp 6-sp and even that is more fun than the Lexus/Infiniti pair can ever hope to be).

- GRL
Old 12-19-05, 09:30 PM
carminesc
Rookie

the only differences i noticed were power(infiniti) interior(lexus) exterior(lexus) navigation (tied infiniti-nice images even though birdseye view is highly overrated lexus-touchscreen) and slight cost advantage(infiniti). i chose a gs but you really cant go wrong with either.

gotta say though, that interior is tacky on the infiniti. fit and finish on lexus is unmatched. oh and you also commented saying the stereo system is better on the m. i'm curious if you've listened to the ml system in the lexus. i have been blown away by that system which is a lot more than i can say for the bose system i listened to in the m. i really thought it was no contest, just my opinion though.

sorry but jealous that you have such a terrible task ahead of you.
Old 12-19-05, 11:18 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
As for those worried about sport, now that we can disable the VDIM, I wonder how the GS performs with it turned off in comparison to the M35/45 now.
Incorrect, disable the VSC/TRAC functions aka Dyno mode.
Old 12-20-05, 01:14 AM
Raptor.1
Pole Position

If you already own a M, Go with the GS430! But get a good color like 1) black 2) silver 3) white. Trust me, people will probably flame me for this but it's the truth [/QUOTE]

Contraire mo frare. LOL
Matador Red makes this car. I had two 2nd gen Black GS’s and felt it was truly the best color for the design, but seeing the 3rd gen wth Matador Red won my heart away from black. It makes the car eye candy with out having to try. Black would still be my second pick but not this time, when I saw the red I totally fell in love with it. As for the other colors you mentioned, not my style, too conservative for my taste. I was really happy to see Lexus put a really nice color on this car, good move on their part.
Old 12-20-05, 04:54 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder if you guys that disapprove would say the same thing if someone wanted to own 2 of the same lexus cars. I believe we have at least one member who does and everyone gave him props.
Old 12-20-05, 08:14 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

I'd give them props AFTER they' ve already got both Lexus, but not before, when they asked whether they should.
I personally will not own 2 of the same Lexus model & certainly will not encourage others.
Old 12-20-05, 08:53 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

I'd probably not own 2 GS's.

Either IS, LS or SC for me.
Old 12-20-05, 10:22 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
I wonder if you guys that disapprove would say the same thing if someone wanted to own 2 of the same lexus cars. I believe we have at least one member who does and everyone gave him props.
My opinion would stay the same if the indiviudal asked whether he should buy a two GSs. I just feel that having two of the same model is redundant.

If I had to add another car to my stable, it wouldn't be another GS.
Old 12-20-05, 01:14 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

I chose the M over the GS for several reasons.

1) Exterior styling. I found the M to be more aggresssive looking especially with the 19" wheels that are on the sport version.
2) Tons of available factory installed/port installed options. They usually cost less than dealer installed options and because they are in the window sticker, they will be residualized if you lease. My M45 Sport included the technology package with Sirius satellite radio and a full factory aero kit.
3) For the 2007 model year (or maybe 2008), the GS engines will probably be upgraded to the GS350, GS450h and probably the GS460. I didn't want to get a car knowing that a better engine was coming.
4) Current GS has the 4th generation navigation. Most likely in the 2007 model year it will get the 5th generation navigation that's already in the 2006 IS and after seeing it in the IS, I'd rather have that one.
5) Leasing costs. I got my almost loaded M45 Sport ($58K sticker price) for $695/month with no money down and that payment amount includes taxes of 8.625% (i.e. I didn't pay the taxes up front). The money factors and residual percentages on the M35/M45 are much better from Infiniti Financial Services than what Lexus Financial Services is offering on the GS. I also think you get more "bang for your buck" in the M. Infiniti dealers are willing to go between $500 and $1000 over invoice especially if you take a car they have in stock or a car they have coming into the dealership.

I will admit that I think the dashboard of the Infiniti M is a little cluttered with too many buttons and the functions of the buttons aren't that intuitive to me. I also miss the Lexus touch screen navigation that I had in my 2002 GS300. I also think it had faster response than the navigation system in my M.
Old 12-20-05, 04:00 PM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sam Khoury
I chose the M over the GS for several reasons.

1) Exterior styling. I found the M to be more aggresssive looking especially with the 19" wheels that are on the sport version.
2) Tons of available factory installed/port installed options. They usually cost less than dealer installed options and because they are in the window sticker, they will be residualized if you lease. My M45 Sport included the technology package with Sirius satellite radio and a full factory aero kit.
3) For the 2007 model year (or maybe 2008), the GS engines will probably be upgraded to the GS350, GS450h and probably the GS460. I didn't want to get a car knowing that a better engine was coming.
4) Current GS has the 4th generation navigation. Most likely in the 2007 model year it will get the 5th generation navigation that's already in the 2006 IS and after seeing it in the IS, I'd rather have that one.
5) Leasing costs. I got my almost loaded M45 Sport ($58K sticker price) for $695/month with no money down and that payment amount includes taxes of 8.625% (i.e. I didn't pay the taxes up front). The money factors and residual percentages on the M35/M45 are much better from Infiniti Financial Services than what Lexus Financial Services is offering on the GS. I also think you get more "bang for your buck" in the M. Infiniti dealers are willing to go between $500 and $1000 over invoice especially if you take a car they have in stock or a car they have coming into the dealership.

I will admit that I think the dashboard of the Infiniti M is a little cluttered with too many buttons and the functions of the buttons aren't that intuitive to me. I also miss the Lexus touch screen navigation that I had in my 2002 GS300. I also think it had faster response than the navigation system in my M.

How many years did you lease? Even with an extremely good money factor and a discount of 10k, it doesn't provide a lease payment under $700 a month... and that's for 48 months.

What gives?

Last edited by scottmyers; 12-20-05 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-20-05, 06:55 PM
Firstlps
Driver

Default Why GS over an M35/45

I am facing the same problem, well almost I can't make up my mind between the cars. Although
the GS is my first choice because of my experence with my 2000 Avalon XLS (114,000mi) which only has 2 repairs for a battery because of the heat here in Texas. The tech package is better on the
M and they are willing to deal on the price. The GS is smooth and luxurious and the service is pretty good. So if I can get a good deal this last week of December like 1000.00 over invoice for GS
it will be a December to remeber
Old 12-20-05, 08:51 PM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

I think Lexus needs to step it up and put the new engines and new navigation system into the GS as soon as possible. If these aren't included for the 2007 make year, Lexus will be in trouble. Once these changes are made, I think the clear choice will be the GS in the "GS vs. M" debates.

Quick Reply: Why a GS over an M35/45/Nissan Fuga?