GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Why a GS over an M35/45/Nissan Fuga?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-05, 08:51 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottmyers
How many years did you lease? Even with an extremely good money factor and a discount of 10k, it doesn't provide a lease payment under $700 a month... and that's for 48 months.

What gives?
Here are the numbers so that you can do the calculation.

MSRP $57,990.00
Cap Cost $52,785.63
Residual Percentage 59%
Residual Value $34,214.10
Money Factor 0.00177
Term 39 months
Sales Tax 8.625%

Now I'll admit when I put these numbers in some of the online lease calculators, it comes out to a few dollars off from $695.00. These are the numbers right from my Infiniti Financial Services lease agreement.

Originally Posted by S L I C K
I think Lexus needs to step it up and put the new engines and new navigation system into the GS as soon as possible. If these aren't included for the 2007 make year, Lexus will be in trouble. Once these changes are made, I think the clear choice will be the GS in the "GS vs. M" debates.
I agree that Lexus needs to step it up but I'm not sure the new engines and navigation system will make the GS the "clear choice". They will also need to include more factory options like satellite radio rather than have them dealer installed. They will also need to be more willing to give price discounts and they will need to improve their leasing terms. I think the leasing terms will improve once the new engines come out, specifically the lease residual values. I think the reason the residual percentages are so bad right now on a GS lease through LFS is because Lexus knows that the new engines are coming next year and they're expecting the value of the 2006 models to drop quickly once the better engines are available in the 2007 model. Let's put it this way. If you're looking to get a used GS in a few years, which one are you going to want, a GS300 or GS350? a GS430 or GS450h/GS460?

Last edited by Sam Khoury; 12-20-05 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-21-05, 12:11 AM
LexFather

I think Lexus needs to step it up and put the new engines and new navigation system into the GS as soon as possible. If these aren't included for the 2007 make year, Lexus will be in trouble. Once these changes are made, I think the clear choice will be the GS in the "GS vs. M" debates.
Lexus is a business. They are sellng more GSs than EVER and the 3GS is more expensive than the 2GS. That says a lot.
The GS, is a hit, even if God forbid Motor Trend's flunkies don't like it.
It has also fared well in Europe in comparisons.

There is no clear choice. Lexus sells aboug 3500 GSs a month, Infinti about 2500 Ms a month. Both good cars and finally good compeittion from Japan, not just from Germany

Old 12-21-05, 12:12 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by flipside909
Incorrect, disable the VSC/TRAC functions aka Dyno mode.
My bad, I keep messing this up

Old 12-21-05, 04:51 AM
HemantS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why get two mid sized sedans? When you need room, take the M, if you're going your own ways, then you don't need the room.

Get a smaller car like a G35 Coupe or Audi S4, or even the IS350.
Old 12-21-05, 06:46 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HemantS
Why get two mid sized sedans? When you need room, take the M, if you're going your own ways, then you don't need the room.

Get a smaller car like a G35 Coupe or Audi S4, or even the IS350.

I think that's the best advise yet. I consider the IS350 to be the "perfect" Lexus at the moment. I would certainly buy one if rear passeneger room were not an object.
Old 12-21-05, 07:04 PM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gs430jw
The 430 just seemed more luxurious and the interior is incredible. On the other hand the m45 was sportier yet the interior is horrible, but 333 (???) horses make up for that.
I disagree, I'll have to take some pics of my Stone Leather Interior w/Aluminum trim in the M45 I got. Very nice and I felt it was better or at least equal to the Lexus interior with a less "cramped" feeling (for me). Even had an 06 GS 300 for a loaner car for a day before I ultimately decided on the M45. Now that I am also getting more familiar with the controls, the layout of the dash along with the steering wheel controls make sense ergonomically. Although I will admit, due to the advanced technologies in the M45 it takes some time to get used to it.

As someone else mentioned, I am/was partial to the setup on my 02 GS430, but know that the M is the start of the wave of the future.

http://www.fototime.com/inv/96FE3465C3DC967

Some comparative pics (02 GS/ 06 M45). I'll try to post some interior pics later. The exterior color is Diamond Graphite, looks great in the sunlight and I think the window tint really added some definition to the car.
Old 12-21-05, 08:41 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WhiteTiger
I disagree, I'll have to take some pics of my Stone Leather Interior w/Aluminum trim in the M45 I got. Very nice and I felt it was better or at least equal to the Lexus interior with a less "cramped" feeling (for me). Even had an 06 GS 300 for a loaner car for a day before I ultimately decided on the M45. Now that I am also getting more familiar with the controls, the layout of the dash along with the steering wheel controls make sense ergonomically. Although I will admit, due to the advanced technologies in the M45 it takes some time to get used to it.

As someone else mentioned, I am/was partial to the setup on my 02 GS430, but know that the M is the start of the wave of the future.

Some comparative pics (02 GS/ 06 M45). I'll try to post some interior pics later. The exterior color is Diamond Graphite, looks great in the sunlight and I think the window tint really added some definition to the car.
Ed, it looks like you and I have the same options in our M45s. The Diamond Graphite exterior color was my second choice to Black Obsidian. I thought the Diamond Graphite might match the color of the 19" wheels really well so that's why I considered it. I never saw it up close to confirm that so maybe you can because I can't really tell from the pictures you put up. I have to admit I'm concerned about the keeping the Stone leather interior clean and I'm questioning whether or not I should have searched for one with the Graphite (i.e. black) leather interior but I like the fact that the Stone interior is only available on the Sport versions. I hope you're right about it just taking time to learn the controls because I've only had my M45 for 3 weeks so I'm still not used to them but I still think the ergonomics could be better. I have to give Lexus credit because there is no confusion in their controls and it doesn't take long to learn them.
Old 12-22-05, 05:14 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Ed,
Nice pick up you got there. I'm a big fan of the M35/45 although I think it looks better without the kit...no offense, jmo. Looks great as is but you know us, gotta stick some wheels on it. Already looks pretty low so I wouldn't bother that.
Congrats on the purchase.
Old 12-22-05, 09:22 AM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

The M does look better w/o the areo kit. The kit adds too much "rice" to the car. I'm not a big fan of Infiniti's decklid spoiler either. I think the GS has the nicest decklid spoiler I've ever seen. It flows so well with the car. Just my two cents.
Old 12-22-05, 12:19 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

The M does look better w/o the areo kit. The kit adds too much "rice" to the car. I'm not a big fan of Infiniti's decklid spoiler either. I think the GS has the nicest decklid spoiler I've ever seen. It flows so well with the car. Just my two cents.
My reasons for getting the aero kit was that I just wanted it to look a little different from the majority of M's on the road. I thought it made the car look even more aggresive. The aero kit option was only $1390 on the window sticker so it didn't add much more to the monthly payment on the lease.
Old 12-22-05, 12:44 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Khoury
My reasons for getting the aero kit was that I just wanted it to look a little different from the majority of M's on the road. I thought it made the car look even more aggresive. The aero kit option was only $1390 on the window sticker so it didn't add much more to the monthly payment on the lease.
Sam, I agree with you, the kit is quite nice IMO. $1390 is downright cheap for the kit. I see the GS OEM kit is ~$2300.
Old 12-22-05, 02:25 PM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by reggiek
Hey Ed,
Nice pick up you got there. I'm a big fan of the M35/45 although I think it looks better without the kit...no offense, jmo. Looks great as is but you know us, gotta stick some wheels on it. Already looks pretty low so I wouldn't bother that.
Congrats on the purchase.
Thanks Reggie, no problem on the kit opinion, to each their own.

I liked it because it is slightly different thant he base version and I, like Sam, thinks it adds to the aggressive look. The side skirts have a bit more of an angle and the deck lid is very slight.

And soon enough I will be doing new rims probably at the 1st time I need to replace tires. Probably next week I am going to replace the back tires with some wider ones. The ones on the car are 245/40/19 and I would like to go with at least a 275 or 285 for the width with a 35 tall.

For those that think it looks "ricey" apparently haven't seen some of the trash out on the road these days. IMO, this is nothing like rice. But of course, to each their own.

Sam, yes the current rims match the color very well (sorry the pics weren't better)
Old 12-22-05, 03:39 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Sam, yes the current rims match the color very well (sorry the pics weren't better)
No need to apologize. I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I was putting down your pictures. The pictures are great. It was just hard to tell how close the color of the wheels matches the Diamond Graphite.
Old 12-22-05, 04:21 PM
merlin70
Driver

One knock on the M45 vs. GS430 is the trans. 5sp vs. 6 sp on the GS. I think the GS turns somewhere around 600 rpm less on the highway. Personally I like to cruise at a lower RPM on long road trips.

Nice pics, now sell that GS so you can put on a new roof! Major shingle damage bro!
Old 12-23-05, 12:11 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Reggie, no problem on the kit opinion, to each their own.

I liked it because it is slightly different thant he base version and I, like Sam, thinks it adds to the aggressive look. The side skirts have a bit more of an angle and the deck lid is very slight.

And soon enough I will be doing new rims probably at the 1st time I need to replace tires. Probably next week I am going to replace the back tires with some wider ones. The ones on the car are 245/40/19 and I would like to go with at least a 275 or 285 for the width with a 35 tall.

For those that think it looks "ricey" apparently haven't seen some of the trash out on the road these days. IMO, this is nothing like rice. But of course, to each their own.

BTW, I have the same car as you... M45 Sport in Diamond Graphite w/ aero kit and Stone interior. The Stone/aluminum interior is exceptional. Doesn't give anything up to any Lexus I've ever owned, so I guess "horrible" is in the eye of the beholder. And I think the aero kit is so subtle in person you can barely tell the difference. It just emphasizes the car's lines.

Re: the GS, Lexus has hit the nail on the head with the typical luxury car buyer as their sales have proven. The GS is a decent balance of luxury and sport, with more emphasis on luxury. They have also built great brand loyalty that keeps their clients coming back. With that said, I'm not the typical luxury car buyer and I want a little more sport than Lexus has to offer. Everyone seems to think that upgrading the engine is suddenly going to put the GS in a different league, but I'm not so sure. In my test drives of the GS430, I thought the engine pulled strong. The reason I didn't buy one was because of the isolated feeling I got from the car and the fact that the handling wasn't as crisp as the M45. There was also more throttle lag. A new engine won't change that. From my perspective, Lexus needs to add a Sport package that offers more road feel and better handling and eliminate some of the throttle lag as they did with the LS430. That should help broaden the appeal. A new engine alone won't do it... plus, I doubt most of the mainstream buyers of the GS will care whether they're driving a 430 or a 460.

Quick Reply: Why a GS over an M35/45/Nissan Fuga?