GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Another SLI/iPod install (with pics this time)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-05, 11:12 AM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is CD emulation mode?
Old 12-22-05, 12:09 PM
BosGS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are two modes you can set up the device to use: MD (minidisk changer) or CD (CD changer). The manufacturer recommends to use CD mode for the 2006 GS.
Old 12-22-05, 02:55 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you buy the SLI?
Old 12-22-05, 03:12 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS4fun
Where did you buy the SLI?
http://www.vaistech.com/sli.html
Old 12-22-05, 11:18 PM
Dman
Driver School Candidate

I changed my wiring so my SLI now connects with my Ipod in the center console. The directions are pretty straightforward:
As you can see below, in the center console, there is a square cutout which is removable. It takes some jiggling, but it will come out cleanly from the center console.
Attached Thumbnails Another SLI/iPod install (with pics this time)-ipod-001.jpg  
Old 12-22-05, 11:20 PM
Dman
Driver School Candidate

Then run the wire through the felt and up through the console.
Attached Thumbnails Another SLI/iPod install (with pics this time)-ipod-003.jpg  
Old 12-22-05, 11:22 PM
Dman
Driver School Candidate

Then put it all back together. As you can see from the first picture, I cut a small piece off of the corner. If you have a drill bit, you can probably do this a bit cleaner than I did, but it still works; you get the idea. Just put everything back together and voila!

Also, one of my concerns was that there wouldn't be enough cable to fiddle with the ipod while the car is running... there is still enough cable with this setup to have the ipod sit comfortably outside the console, on the dash and still fiddle with the playlist... although, my preference is to use the playlist option in the advanced mode. As Mike mentioned, this configuration is with the SLI mounted above the tire pressure sensor in the head unit.

Last edited by Dman; 12-22-05 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-23-05, 10:01 AM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took apart my nav unit last week to do the override, guess i'll have to take it apart again.
Old 12-23-05, 05:32 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Installed the SLI but there's NO audio! I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. I programmed it for CD emulation, ensured that all the cables were properly connected, turned off the EQ on the Ipod and turned on the 'sound check' option on the Ipod. Everything else works fine and I can see the artist/title screen and the run time of the song progressing, but I don't hear any sound. I also adjusted the Ipod volume to 25 (31 being the highest) but still nothing. Tried calling Vaistech but nobody answered. Anyone have any idea? Could it be a bad unit or cable they supplied me?
Old 12-23-05, 05:45 PM
JDMstuff
Driver School Candidate

DMAN,
I did the exact same thing on my install. I ground away the un-flocked part of the console (lip around the opening) and notched the corner of the cover with a small dremel bit so I didn't have a huge hole in the cover. If you move the SLI under the rear duct you can get an extra foot or two to comfortably hold the IPOD in your hand without having to worry about putting extra stress on the connector. The excess cable tucks neatly back in through the hole when I don't need it. With this setup, I can even mount an OEM Apple IPOD dock.
Old 12-23-05, 05:47 PM
JDMstuff
Driver School Candidate

SGT,
Which IPOD do you have? I remember seeing something in the manual about a setting that needs to be changed on the 3G Ipods.
Old 12-23-05, 05:54 PM
Dman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDMstuff
SGT,
Which IPOD do you have? I remember seeing something in the manual about a setting that needs to be changed on the 3G Ipods.
I have a 3G and I had to restart mine. You press the menu and play buttons together and you'll see the apple icon. after doing this, everything worked fine.
Old 12-23-05, 07:30 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDMstuff
SGT,
I'm using the Ipod Nano.
Old 12-23-05, 07:32 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dman
I have a 3G and I had to restart mine. You press the menu and play buttons together and you'll see the apple icon. after doing this, everything worked fine.
Prior to restarting it, was there sound? I wonder if that applies for my Nano as well. I'll have to check next time because I already took out the SLI and put the head unit back on.
Old 12-23-05, 07:38 PM
Dman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SGT
Prior to restarting it, was there sound? I wonder if that applies for my Nano as well. I'll have to check next time because I already took out the SLI and put the head unit back on.
Yeah. I didn't have sound... then re-booted and all was well. I don't know if it is the same with a Nano though.

Quick Reply: Another SLI/iPod install (with pics this time)