GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Another SLI/iPod install (with pics this time)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-05, 07:40 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting... resetting the Nano didn't occur to me before, but I'll be sure to try it next time and let you guys know if it works. Did you reset it while the car was on or off?
Old 12-23-05, 07:58 PM
Dman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SGT
Did you reset it while the car was on or off?
I think the battery was on, but I'm not postiive. Mike, do you remember?

It shouldn't make a difference, though. You're resetting the Ipod, not the car.
Old 12-30-05, 06:58 AM
shimmers
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the SLI Ipod adapter and it works great with my Ipod Nano.

I thought about making a hole in the center console for the cable, but decided on routing it to the glovebox instead. There is an opening with a plastic cover at the back of the glovebox (which is how they get to the air filter) so it was easy to route the cable through there. Now my Ipod Nano is plugged in to the cable and stored away in the glovebox. What's great about this is that when I valet my car, I can simply lock the glovebox - much better than the center console.

I'm using the MD Changer emulation and it works great as well. I'd recommend this over the CD Changer emulation since it seems to allow more playlists to be recognized.

I'm also using the Aux inputs for the my PSP and others, it works great.

This is definitely worth the investment!
Old 12-30-05, 07:39 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shimmers
I just installed the SLI Ipod adapter and it works great with my Ipod Nano.

I thought about making a hole in the center console for the cable, but decided on routing it to the glovebox instead. There is an opening with a plastic cover at the back of the glovebox (which is how they get to the air filter) so it was easy to route the cable through there. Now my Ipod Nano is plugged in to the cable and stored away in the glovebox. What's great about this is that when I valet my car, I can simply lock the glovebox - much better than the center console.

I'm using the MD Changer emulation and it works great as well. I'd recommend this over the CD Changer emulation since it seems to allow more playlists to be recognized.

I'm also using the Aux inputs for the my PSP and others, it works great.

This is definitely worth the investment!
That's awesome, I didn't think there was a way to route the cable into the glovebox without drilling a hole, but since you can just remove a cover, I'll do that instead of putting it in the center console.
Old 01-04-06, 11:38 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

For those of you who installed this are any of you near the SF Bay Area. I have installed car audio systems in my older car but I am scared to start prying off center console and plastic parts off my two week old car that doesn't even have 200 miles on it. The wrenching is no problem but it's the prying off clips, are they difficult to pry off. I am assuming they're really tight. If you're in the area can you halp me out? Or do you know any shops that have experience with the GS audio system? Being that the satellite radio is a dealer installed option would a Lexus dealer install this ipod unit that works with satellite?
Old 01-04-06, 07:15 PM
JDMstuff
Driver School Candidate

The panels pop off like any other car's. Don't worry about it. Just grab hold of the area surrounding the seat heater dials and pull up. The clips are pretty tight, but they will release. I would avoid using any tools in this area. For the small black plastic piece above the ashtray, you can use a pick instead of a screwdriver. Being an installer, you should already have one. The satellite radio option that the dealer installs does not require the removal of the headunit. The wiring is already in the trunk and the only thing the dealer needs to worry about is installing and running the antenna wire. The Lexus dealer I spoke to will not install any non-Lexus authorized parts on your car. This includes the SLI.
Old 01-05-06, 03:47 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDMstuff
The panels pop off like any other car's. Don't worry about it. Just grab hold of the area surrounding the seat heater dials and pull up. The clips are pretty tight, but they will release. I would avoid using any tools in this area. For the small black plastic piece above the ashtray, you can use a pick instead of a screwdriver. Being an installer, you should already have one. The satellite radio option that the dealer installs does not require the removal of the headunit. The wiring is already in the trunk and the only thing the dealer needs to worry about is installing and running the antenna wire. The Lexus dealer I spoke to will not install any non-Lexus authorized parts on your car. This includes the SLI.
I'm not an installer, I just use to hook up my own car and help friends. A "pick", what's that? I just use to pry things off by trial and error.
Old 01-08-06, 10:58 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Guys, I just took out my head unit again and I'm trying to program the SLI in CD emulation mode but no luck. Been at this for almost an hour already. Stuck on the part where I'm supposed to hear a long beep followed by a few short beeps. I made sure the right dip switch is down while the left one is up, turned the car on (also tried just ACC on), but no beeps! What am I doing wrong here?
Old 01-08-06, 06:32 PM
JDMstuff
Driver School Candidate

When I programmed mine I didn't have my IPOD connected. Are you trying to do this with it connected? Have you tried to set the SLI to MD mode again? Maybe you can also try disconnecting it from the car for about 5 minutes and trying again.
Old 01-08-06, 07:52 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDMstuff
When I programmed mine I didn't have my IPOD connected. Are you trying to do this with it connected? Have you tried to set the SLI to MD mode again? Maybe you can also try disconnecting it from the car for about 5 minutes and trying again.
I left it alone for the rest of the afternoon and I just got back home from my friends house so I decided to try it one more time. The first time I had the Ipod plugged in and didn't get any beeps. Then I unplugged the Ipod and when I pressed the button twice to ACC-ON mode, I got the long beep followed by three short beeps, turned off the car, waited 10 seconds, and then turned the engine on and it worked!

It's weird though because I got it to work in the afternoon earlier today but when I tried to switch my Ipods (from a 4th gen to a nano) it wouldn't recognize the SLI unit anymore and I couldn't get it to program again. That's when I left it alone for the rest of the day until I just got back home.

Just to make sure it was working, I turned off my car and turned it back on and it still recognizes the Ipod (back to the 4th gen since that's staying in my car), albeit sometimes it takes a while for it to populate with playlists on the audio screen. Does anyone else experience this lag? Also, the DISC RAND feature doesn't seem to work. Isn't that supposed to shuffle playlists? It doesn't do anything when I have it on. Another thing is I only have 7 playlists on my Ipod but on the screen it shows 8.

Last edited by SGT; 01-08-06 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-09-06, 03:56 AM
scottmyers
Pole Position

A few questions for you guys with the SLI adapter.

• Does this work if you have the Lexus XM installed in the ML system.
• Does it allow more than just the 10 characters for the song title, like the Lexus XM limitation.
• Does it work if you have done the Nav/Bluetooth wiring mod.

I appreciate your feedback. Sounds like a great product.
Old 01-09-06, 05:45 AM
BosGS430
Driver School Candidate

It works fine with ML/Nav/XM radio and does not have the character limit on song names. I haven't done the Nav/Bluetooth mod so can't answer that one.
Old 01-09-06, 09:24 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Questions I was hoping you guys with the SLI could answer:

1) Do you experience lag when switching sources (from FM2) to the CD Changer emulation mode? Mine appears to take 10-15 seconds for it to initialize the Ipod.

2) Do you experience lag when switching between playlists (5-10 second delay)?

3) Does the screen show one more playlist than you actually have on the Ipod?

4) Does the CD Changer emulation mode still show up on the screen if the Ipod is disconnected? If not, does it reappear when the Ipod is plugged back in?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to figure out if something is wrong with my unit.