GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Another SLI/iPod install (with pics this time)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-05, 09:19 PM
mike-ibp03
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another SLI/iPod install (with pics this time)

DMan and I installed his SLI tonight. Took maybe 35-45 minutes, but half of that was a combination of 1)trying to figure out where to place the cable (we went with the driver's side of the console again) and 2)forgetting to program the thing before replacing the HU in the dash, so we had to pull it a second time!!

In this first picture, this is all you will need:
1) a nice thick drop cloth or towel so you don't smash your HU into the shifter rod
2) a screw driver
3) some electrical tape
4) some velcro
5) a 10mm socket
Attached Thumbnails Another SLI/iPod install (with pics this time)-cimg0092b.jpg  
Old 12-20-05, 09:21 PM
mike-ibp03
Rookie

Remove the shift ****. Cover the rod with your drop cloth!! Pull the HU (do a search). In the picture, you can see that I had to disconnect several of the wire harnesses from the top to give me enough room to take the pic. The important one is at the bottom of the HU. It's the middle harness that you'll need to disconnect and attach to the SLI cable. The other end of the SLI cable will go into the 20 pin port, the third end of the cable should already be connected to the SLI.
Attached Thumbnails Another SLI/iPod install (with pics this time)-cimg0093b.jpg  

Last edited by mike-ibp03; 12-20-05 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-20-05, 09:22 PM
mike-ibp03
Rookie

Here you can see the SLI cable before I attach it to the HU and harness
Attached Thumbnails Another SLI/iPod install (with pics this time)-cimg0094b.jpg  

Last edited by mike-ibp03; 12-20-05 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-20-05, 09:24 PM
mike-ibp03
Rookie

The SLI fits quite nicely on top of the tire pressure receiver at the top of the HU. Use the velcro to attach. Use some electrical tape to bundle up the wires.

**Important** Now is a good time to program the unit (I recommend CD emulator mode) according to the manual p.6. Attach your iPod and test everything. Once done, reseat the HU in the dash.
Attached Thumbnails Another SLI/iPod install (with pics this time)-cimg0096b.jpg  

Last edited by mike-ibp03; 12-20-05 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-20-05, 09:26 PM
mike-ibp03
Rookie

The last thing to do is determine where you want to have the iPod sit when it's attached. We debated on having it in the center console, but that can be problematic if you want to be able to fiddle with it when you're driving. Secure the cable with some electrical tape inside the console so it won't pull out, then button up the console and replace your shift ****. All done.
Attached Thumbnails Another SLI/iPod install (with pics this time)-cimg0099b.jpg  

Last edited by mike-ibp03; 12-20-05 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-21-05, 06:16 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Great writeup and walkthrough with the pics! Thanks for taking your time to show us how it's done. I'll be following this guide when I do the install (hopefully) this weekend. For those that don't know how to remove the head unit, go here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156160
Old 12-21-05, 09:46 AM
Dman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again, Mike!!! My Ipod works great. For those of you who were wondering: Yes. It is totally worth the $300
Old 12-21-05, 09:52 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Mike, care to fly over to NY and help me with the install?
Old 12-21-05, 03:09 PM
Dman
Driver School Candidate

I've been driving pretty much all day and I can say that the CD Emulation mode is excellent. No problems with it at all. I'd recommend setting it up in CD emulation rather than MD emulation.
Old 12-21-05, 03:12 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dman
I've been driving pretty much all day and I can say that the CD Emulation mode is excellent. No problems with it at all. I'd recommend setting it up in CD emulation rather than MD emulation.
Cool, I'll be sure to use CD emulation. Mike, did you change yours from MD to CD emu?
Old 12-21-05, 04:42 PM
mike-ibp03
Rookie

Originally Posted by SGT
Mike, care to fly over to NY and help me with the install?
Set me up with a plane ticket and a place to crash the weekend and I'll be right over!

No, I haven't gotten around to switching to CD emulation mode... it works "well enough" in md emulation mode that it's not yet worth the 20 minutes it would take to remove, reprogram and put back together. Once I get over the thrill of using my iPod and start using the other modes (radio, dvd, etc), it will probably drive me nuts enough to do it. Until then, all I listen to is my iPod!
Old 12-21-05, 08:05 PM
JDMstuff
Driver School Candidate

I just installed mine last night. It took me about an hour to do but only because I wanted the cable to be hidden inside the center console. If you feel around the bottom of the console, there's actually a cover in there. It's pretty well camoflauged with the flocking. I notched the corner of the cover and ran the cable through that instead. There's plenty of room inside there to work and looks great. I also installed the SLI under the ducting for the rear vent instead of the back of the HU. This makes it a lot easier to get to incase I either have to pull it or make adjustments. It deforms the duct slightly, but I don't have to go through the trouble of taking the entire dash apart to get to the unit. I set if up for MD mode, but found that it won't cycle into CD mode. It's a good thing I put the SLI where I did, it will only take me about 10 minutes to get to the unit to switch it back to CD mode. I'll try to post pics of my install when I get a chance.
Old 12-21-05, 08:08 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDMstuff
I just installed mine last night. It took me about an hour to do but only because I wanted the cable to be hidden inside the center console. If you feel around the bottom of the console, there's actually a cover in there. It's pretty well camoflauged with the flocking. I notched the corner of the cover and ran the cable through that instead. There's plenty of room inside there to work and looks great. I also installed the SLI under the ducting for the rear vent instead of the back of the HU. This makes it a lot easier to get to incase I either have to pull it or make adjustments. It deforms the duct slightly, but I don't have to go through the trouble of taking the entire dash apart to get to the unit. I set if up for MD mode, but found that it won't cycle into CD mode. It's a good thing I put the SLI where I did, it will only take me about 10 minutes to get to the unit to switch it back to CD mode. I'll try to post pics of my install when I get a chance.
Definitely interested in how you routed the cable into the center console. Pics and more detailed instructions would be great!
Old 12-22-05, 06:05 AM
BosGS430
Driver School Candidate

What's the difference between the MD and CD modes? I've set my up for MD mode at the moment. Thanks
Old 12-22-05, 10:29 AM
BosGS430
Driver School Candidate

I asked VAIS about CD vs MD mode. They said for the 2006 GS we have to use the CD emulation mode.

Quick Reply: Another SLI/iPod install (with pics this time)