GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Loud Cracking noise when making an UTurn and an immediate right turn

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-05, 12:54 AM
gsrocks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Cracking noise when making an UTurn and an immediate right turn

Hello,

I am new to this forum and got my GS300 RWD last week. It has been superb so far. One minor issue.

Sometimes when I make a UTurn and immediately make a right turn for example entering a gas station after making a UTurn, I hear a very loud cracking noise which appears to be coming from the roof area (or from the bottom of the vehicle not very sure). It happens when the block you are entering is slightly higher than the road (like any regular gas station or any other block).

I was able to reproduce this a few times. The noise was as though something just broke.

I am very sure the bottom of the vehicle did not rub against the floor as the vehicle is pretty high and noise would have been more like scratching.

Before I contact the dealer, has anyone experienced this noise and is there a TSB for this problem?
Old 12-21-05, 05:32 AM
jwaters
Pole Position

I have had this happen twice, but have not been able to reproduce it. The first time it happened was at low speeds with the stereo off and the noise startled me....it's that loud! It obviously is related to the body flexing, but I wish I knew what caused it (i.e. sunroof, windshield, etc.). On the bright side, at least I've only had it happen twice in 6 months.

Good luck finding the source of this disconcerting noise!
Old 12-21-05, 02:50 PM
gsrocks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jwaters
I have had this happen twice, but have not been able to reproduce it. The first time it happened was at low speeds with the stereo off and the noise startled me....it's that loud! It obviously is related to the body flexing, but I wish I knew what caused it (i.e. sunroof, windshield, etc.). On the bright side, at least I've only had it happen twice in 6 months.

Good luck finding the source of this disconcerting noise!
This noise definitely is scary. It was as if someone dropped a huge stone on the top of the car (or bottom??). I am able to reproduce it at a specific location. I will check with the dealer and make sure they fix it. I am surprised not many people found this problem. Could it be something to do with the differential as when I made the right turn immediately after the UTurn, it was quit sharp?
Old 12-24-05, 09:39 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just had this happen to me for the first time as I was making a right turn into the Dunkin Donuts parking lot. As my front right wheel went up the raised sidewalk, I heard a loud crack right under the driver's seat. At first I thought it rock hit my car but that's impossible since there were no other cars around me. Very strange.

gsrocks, have you contacted the dealer about this yet?
Old 12-24-05, 10:44 PM
oliveiraej
Rookie

Anything loose in the trunck area? Spare, jack kit?
Old 12-24-05, 11:17 PM
gsrocks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SGT
Just had this happen to me for the first time as I was making a right turn into the Dunkin Donuts parking lot. As my front right wheel went up the raised sidewalk, I heard a loud crack right under the driver's seat. At first I thought it rock hit my car but that's impossible since there were no other cars around me. Very strange.

gsrocks, have you contacted the dealer about this yet?
Exactly!!! I haven't contacted the dealer yet. I am planning to get a digital voice recorder and see if I can record the noise before I go to them. I have a strong feeling, there will be a TSB on this soon.
Old 12-26-05, 10:28 AM
JDMstuff
Driver School Candidate

i had the same thing happen to me when I pulled into my drivieway after lowering it. Let us know what is going on. I'm sure if I bring my lowered car into the dealer, they're going to blame the lowering springs. At least I'll know what it is and maybe fix it myself if the dealer denies me any warranty work.