GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Decisions, decisions..... Which to buy? RL or GS AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-05, 08:38 AM
bearbrick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions, decisions..... Which to buy? RL or GS AWD?

hi.... first time poster here. I am looking to trade in my 2003 G35 Coupe for either a 2006 RL (w/o tech package) or a 2006 GS300 AWD. Love the G, but my family needs more practicality, so we're switching to a sedan. Was looking at M45, but the dealers in my area are whack. Also looked at 5 series (great handling car), but was too rich for my blood. So it comes down to these two.

'06 RL: 2.9% APR with $500 over invoice price. (with out tech package)

'06 GS: 3.9% APR (lowest possible according to the dealer) with $500 over invoice price as well.
(Was quoted $46,322 for invoice price with Mark Levinson, Nav, Spoiler, Rain Sensing wipers, Sunroof, Park Assist and Ventilated Seats.)

On Edmunds, when I looked at invoice price with all these options, the invoice that I calculated came out to $45,642.

I also know that they make 2% (of total MSRP) roll back from the manufacturer.

I want the GS, but tempted to get the RL. (would wait for the GS350, but we need the car now)

Am I getting a good deal for the GS? Can I get a better deal than this?

Also, when I go to the dealership, what are some strategies to take note of?
Old 12-27-05, 09:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome to CL.

You might be able to pick up the RL for a little less than the GS.....even though it lists for more.....some $49,000. The RL has not been selling well and I understand there are some incentives on it. The RL also has more power and a more sophisticated AWD system that transfers torque left and right as well as front-to-back. However, while both are excellent cars quality-wise, it is hard to beat the build quality and refinement of a Lexus...particularly the new GS. I did a review of the 2006 GS300AWD last spring and found it a superlative car...the only snags were a slightly low roofline and the little flip-down box under the left vent that holds the power-mirror controls...that little box, when open, tends to hit your left knee.
Old 12-27-05, 09:29 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tough call. Although the RL hasn't been a great seller, it's a pretty appealing package. Lots of technology for a relatively low price.

I would usually say the GS is the better choice, but with the impending engine change, it may make sense to seriously consider the RL. Can you live with the fact that the engine is scheduled to change within a years time?

You should try and find an alternative Infiniti dealer, as the M45 is a very good option as well. However, it's not really a fair comparison if you are comparing the M45 to the RL and GS300.
Old 12-27-05, 09:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Sounds like he wants AWD, INHOC. That would rule out the M45 and the regular M35 or G35.
He would have to go to the AWD G35X / M35X.

( I did a review on the M35X, too)
Old 12-27-05, 10:34 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sounds like he wants AWD, INHOC. That would rule out the M45 and the regular M35 or G35.
He would have to go to the AWD G35X / M35X.

( I did a review on the M35X, too)
mmarshall, poster originally says he was looking at the M45. But you're right, from the choices he's listed, looks like AWD is important to him.

Oh, I and remember your M35 review...very informative
Old 12-27-05, 10:44 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Well as you know both cars are very well put together... I've sat in both at the car show here in Orlando a few weeks ago and boy it is a hard choice.. Both cars are very very nice... I guess it all depends what features you want and if you want to stay with the lexus name... I beleive the RL had a slightly better interior than the GS but not buy much... Good Luck my friend in your search...

Tony
Old 12-27-05, 11:06 AM
bearbrick
Driver School Candidate

I'm leaning towards buying the RL and getting the GS Hybrid in the spring. Yes, the GS350 is very tempting, but I need something right now.

Also, would they charge luxury tax on any of these cars?

What can one do about getting the best deals? What are some good strategies?

I test drove the M45 and the GS430 as well, but not the 35. Both nice cars, but the V8 will break my pockets in terms of gas so I'm opting for the V6.

Thanks,
Old 12-27-05, 11:17 AM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

Interior wise, the RL is pretty nice ( besides the center console ). Exterior wise, it doesn't look like a $50,000 car. I personally would never buy an Acura. Acura went downhill after the Legend. Lexus is ages beyond Acura in quality and customer service. Sure, I have a 2005 Acura TL w/ Navigation, but it was a gift because I needed a "beater" for college. Lexus GS all the way ( if you don't mind the engine change in the fall of 2006 ).
Old 12-27-05, 12:02 PM
bearbrick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by S L I C K
Interior wise, the RL is pretty nice ( besides the center console ). Exterior wise, it doesn't look like a $50,000 car. I personally would never buy an Acura. Acura went downhill after the Legend. Lexus is ages beyond Acura in quality and customer service. Sure, I have a 2005 Acura TL w/ Navigation, but it was a gift because I needed a "beater" for college. Lexus GS all the way ( if you don't mind the engine change in the fall of 2006 ).
Wow, a 2005 TL as a beater car. Lucky guy!
Old 12-27-05, 12:13 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am probably a little biased since I chose the GS300AWD, but I never seriously
considered the RL. Acura went way too conservative with the RL (even more so
than Lexus or Infiniti). As a result, it just feels like a lesser car (perhaps unjustly)
and I think the sales numbers reflect that. Acura quality has also been fairly
mediocre of late.

The GS is much more fuel efficient than the RL, since that seems to be a concern.
It is also much better build than any Acura and just about ANY car for that matter.
(although I have had some first model year fit and finish issues). On the downside,
the coupelike profile of the GS makes it not feel as roomy as some other cars like the
M and they are also about to upgrade the engine to a powerful 3.5L.

Good luck with your choice!
Old 12-27-05, 12:27 PM
bearbrick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by marshmallo
I am probably a little biased since I chose the GS300AWD, but I never seriously
considered the RL. Acura went way too conservative with the RL (even more so
than Lexus or Infiniti). As a result, it just feels like a lesser car (perhaps unjustly)
and I think the sales numbers reflect that. Acura quality has also been fairly
mediocre of late.

The GS is much more fuel efficient than the RL, since that seems to be a concern.
It is also much better build than any Acura and just about ANY car for that matter.
(although I have had some first model year fit and finish issues). On the downside,
the coupelike profile of the GS makes it not feel as roomy as some other cars like the
M and they are also about to upgrade the engine to a powerful 3.5L.

Good luck with your choice!
Thanks for your replies. I'm going to the dealer tonight or tomorrow. I need my questions answered quick!
Old 12-27-05, 01:00 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

I'm surprised that you're not looking at the Infiniti M35x since you're looking at it's competitors, the GS300 AWD and RL, and you're also currently in a G35 coupe, The Infiniti dealer might give you more on a trade for your coupe than the Lexus or Acura dealer. You should also be able to get the M35x for about $500 over invoice. I also believe the interest rates through Infiniti Financial Services are pretty good right now.
Old 12-27-05, 01:12 PM
bearbrick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sam Khoury
I'm surprised that you're not looking at the Infiniti M35x since you're looking at it's competitors, the GS300 AWD and RL, and you're also currently in a G35 coupe, The Infiniti dealer might give you more on a trade for your coupe than the Lexus or Acura dealer. You should also be able to get the M35x for about $500 over invoice. I also believe the interest rates through Infiniti Financial Services are pretty good right now.
I would have considered another Infiniti, but because of problems with the dealers in my area and also the fact that they are complete idiots that don't know what they are doing, I will not buy another Infiniti unless I move. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.
Old 12-27-05, 01:25 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bearbrick
I would have considered another Infiniti, but because of problems with the dealers in my area and also the fact that they are complete idiots that don't know what they are doing, I will not buy another Infiniti unless I move. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.
OK, when you said they were "whack", I wasn't sure if you meant that they weren't discounting the price or what. Thanks for the clarification.

In my search for my Infiniti, the first salesman I spoke to at Ramsey Infiniti didn't even know there was a such thing as an M35 Sport (the original car I was interested in). I had to tell him to look in the brochure if he didn't believe me. I ended up in an M45 Sport through a different salesman at the same dealership.
Old 12-27-05, 01:56 PM
bearbrick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sam Khoury
OK, when you said they were "whack", I wasn't sure if you meant that they weren't discounting the price or what. Thanks for the clarification.

In my search for my Infiniti, the first salesman I spoke to at Ramsey Infiniti didn't even know there was a such thing as an M35 Sport (the original car I was interested in). I had to tell him to look in the brochure if he didn't believe me. I ended up in an M45 Sport through a different salesman at the same dealership.
Their service techs are not skilled at all. The last time I took my car to Ramsey Infiniti for service they messed up my ECU and the SES light came on. From then on, my car is never the same. The service personell are nice tho. Don't ever go to Park Ave. They have the worst service EVER! They scam people really well. Especially that service mgr. Brian.

Quick Reply: Decisions, decisions..... Which to buy? RL or GS AWD?