GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Mercedes E500 or Lexus GS430 - Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-05, 01:08 PM
jdr1000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercedes E500 or Lexus GS430 - Pros and Cons

I am in the middle of desicion meaking for a purchase. Although this forum might be biased towards Lexus, I will ask anyway

What are the pros and cons for each of these cars based on your experience?

I will post on a MB forum the same question and see what we all come up with.

The only thing that is making me wait a little longer is that the GS is comming with a new engine next year GS450 and the E with a facelift.

My research tells me to go with Lexus because it is a problem free brand and service centers are staffed well.

The MB E500 will only be 10% more than the GS430. I have always been a Mercedes owner and was happy with them until I read the E has had a lot of problems.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-28-05, 03:07 PM
LexFather

Smile

First off welcome to Clublexus. I am a member of MBWorld as well and ignore most of the bashing, as I've met quite a few of the owners in person and they are a top notch, classy bunch.

I recently drove an E500 at the Lexus Taste of Luxury Event. Pros, I still love how the E-looks, its just a beautiful sedan. Most reviews have complained about the cheap materials in the interior but to me, they were okay, not glaring at all. It does have stature and Image, its an E-class Benz. There is a solid aftermarket if your into modding. You can option the car almost anyway you want. The E500 has a very powerful engine, with 2 more hp than the GS but only a tick or two behind it, pretty negligible. The interior was quiet to me. The leather felt great.

Negatives, this car has pretty much been a quality nightmare. Benz just cannot control these issues sadly. IMO, the handling was not on par with the GS 430 and while quick, is slower. It costs way more base, let alone when you add some options.

In Europe, the GS has won comparisons against not just the E-class but the CLS as well. That speaks VOLUMES, especially since they are super German biased. The interior is top notch in quality and ergonomics. It is a faster car and handles as good if not better than the E. Its a newer car, just recently designed, while the E, while aging VERY well, is based on older technology. The GS has been the top quality car in its class for sometime now, this will likely not change since its still built in Tahara, Japan, the top car plant in the world. Lexus dealer service is top notch as well.

Negatives, you can get options with the E the GS does not offer, like the panaramic roof. Some have complained about the headroom in the GS. You may not like the fact you have to get a wood steering wheel.

Both are top in safety ratings and both are beautiful to look at.

Good luck, clearly I recommened the GS 430!
Old 12-28-05, 04:43 PM
619brick
Driver School Candidate

I don't think you are going to find a more knowledgable post than the one by SICKLEX. That was right on. I too have been waiting anxiously for months now, going back in forth between the GS and LS, and just last week decided to drive a E500. I liked the sport mode a lot, and thought it felt slightly faster than the GS.....not sure why, I just did.

With the interior, the sound system, the quality of car, and service of a Lexus, MB does not even come close!! They're asking $ 68,000 for 06 E5 with AMG package and a lot of goodies, minus the pano roof. To make a long story short, you can get a loaded GS for roughly $ 200.00 less a month than the E500. The lease payment was $ 925 a month, without taxes. I told the salesman and his manager "you're high!" and walked out. They both called later and said "what can we do to get you in this car?" I sent him an offer I have on the table right now for a new GS or LS at $ 200.00 less a month. I told them to meet it or beat it.

They say they will get back to me ASAP. That was yesterday, and I have not heard anything yet. Good luck in your search!
Old 12-28-05, 08:48 PM
soflGSguy
Rookie

the new E class 2006 has no armrest infront just wood not as nice as the 2004's
and no blue tooth u have to get one of there phones that are 2 years old or older for it to work
Old 12-28-05, 11:03 PM
03LX470
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the e500 & have test driven it for a few hours. its really nice. However, it costs a lot more now than it did in 2003 and that too with fewer options. For instance, where i live (in the UAE), you could get a e500 back in 2003 for $59,000 with everything panoramic roof, distronic, etc. For 2006, the sticker is $79,000 and say after discounts, one could get it between $70-$75k.

I have just purchased the GS430 for $56k with everything. i live in a place where all car brands are monopolies (i.e. sole distributorships) and therefore all figures i have mentioned may seem higher to you, if compared to US prices.

For me, not going for e-class comprised of the following factors:

1. the premium taxi / limo service operate stripped down versions of e-class (E240); so its not worth it to buy an E500 that costs an arm & a leg but still looks like an airport drop-off limo

2. navigation & interor is dull; not bright like Lexus

3. price

4. they now offer distronic only on S-class in this market

5. inteior beige color is too light, almost whitish

What i miss not having, by not purchasing e-class:

1. mercedes name - it still carries prestige

2. feeling safe in the vehicle. even though theyve gone down in quality, they are safer & have that feel safe factor (in comparison, if i see a wrecked Japanese toyota/lexus/nissan, it looks like it was made out of card board)

3. lower insurance. for some reason, lexus is more expensive to insure here than mercedes

While my experiences & views may not be valid for the US market, I have learnt so much on this forum that i just thought id share my experience & give something back to the community.

Thanks
Old 12-29-05, 12:14 PM
ocangelfan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 03LX470
2. feeling safe in the vehicle. even though theyve gone down in quality, they are safer & have that feel safe factor (in comparison, if i see a wrecked Japanese toyota/lexus/nissan, it looks like it was made out of card board)
I have to disagree with you on safety of the GS versus the E-class, they really are on par. As I recall, the Mercedes may have a slight edge in rear collisions, but not by much. In front-end collisions they are both top rated. I got this from the IIHS test site.

The quality issues on the Mercedes are huge. Not only is it a major inconvience to always have your E-class in the shop, but a breakdown or malfunction of your car could put you at risk. I've seen plenty of Mercedes, hazard lights flashing, on the side of a busy freeway in Southern California. Not a very safe place to be...