GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS 450h with Gen 5 NAVI system...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-06, 03:44 PM
acerfan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the link doesn't work for me...

however, I did find these:

I have a question, though. Does this mean that the backup camera will improve in quality as well?

here is a picture under the GS350 section:

but I can't determine the quality is compared to the previous gen in this pic.
Old 09-27-06, 04:51 PM
hendjaz
Pole Position

It is the improved screen quality that shows the back up camera information noticeably brighter and clearer. We have had gen 4 and now have gen 5 and the camera information on the Nav screen is much improved with gen 5 imho.
Old 10-01-06, 02:02 PM
acerfan
Rookie

Just thought I'd share these for those interested.

Old 10-31-06, 12:07 PM
nyjklein
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone please clarify? Is the V6.1 DVD for Gen 5 Systems available for purchase yet from Lexus? I've called two local dealers and both told me not yet, one said late November, the other December.
Old 10-31-06, 12:52 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Two questions...
Is the screen still 7"? That's pretty tiny IMO considering the less expensive Acura TL has had an 8" screen for 3 years now.

I think the LS is a 9" screen and it looks nice and big - ideal in size. The 7" screen in the 06 GS I sat in just looked pathetic by comparison. But I understand it's also a standard screen - not optional, so they probably have to keep the costs down on it.

Also is there a way to make the rear view camera come on when you aren't in reverse? I think it'd be a cool way to see what's going on behind you if you can't tell in the rear view mirror (or don't want to look through the mirror).
Old 10-31-06, 12:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Two questions...
Is the screen still 7"? That's pretty tiny IMO considering the less expensive Acura TL has had an 8" screen for 3 years now.

I think the LS is a 9" screen and it looks nice and big - ideal in size. The 7" screen in the 06 GS I sat in just looked pathetic by comparison. But I understand it's also a standard screen - not optional, so they probably have to keep the costs down on it.

Also is there a way to make the rear view camera come on when you aren't in reverse? I think it'd be a cool way to see what's going on behind you if you can't tell in the rear view mirror (or don't want to look through the mirror).
LS has 8"... interesting that 7" is "pathetic".
Old 10-31-06, 01:24 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
LS has 8"... interesting that 7" is "pathetic".
When I can get a 2003 Accord for 24-32k w/ a 6.5" screen or a 2004 TL for 32-34k w/ an 8" screen, it seems pathetic that a Lexus GS350/430/450h for 45k up to 62k has a 7" screen that up until the 2007 models was also lower resolution.

Granted Lexus is far from bad - most Audi and Mercedes nav screens are ridiculously antiquated looking and smallish in size.

But Lexus is so interior-focused and technology-focused that it's embarrassing when my friend goes to the Lexus dealer with me in his 04 TL w/ navi and finds that the 06 GS450h he's checking out has a 1" smaller lower res screen than his current car does despite the GS being a 2 year newer design and twice the price.

As for the 8" in the LS.. well, it looked bigger than the one in his TL. A google search shows a couple articles mentioning it having a 9" nav screen but several more calling it an 8" nav screen so I have to assume the articles calling it a 9" screen got the info mixed up with the rear seat entertainment system screen (which is 9")
Old 10-31-06, 10:22 PM
rainforest
Rookie

Where can I find the exact software instructions for the NAV override without taking apart my dash and cutting wires?
Old 10-31-06, 10:30 PM
wavesonic
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rainforest
Where can I find the exact software instructions for the NAV override without taking apart my dash and cutting wires?
PRESS IN SEQUENCE :
«MENU»
«Volume"«
touching the top left corner
bottomn left corner
top left corner
bottomn left corner
«Over Ride» for five second (until it come dark bleu)
«back»

But u gotta do this every time after u start the car.
Old 11-01-06, 06:24 AM
rainforest
Rookie

Thanks Wave. I'm going to try the software override today. I'm still nervous about cutting all those wires.
Old 11-01-06, 10:34 AM
wavesonic
Rookie

Thanks Wave. I'm going to try the software override today. I'm still nervous about cutting all those wires.
Don't be nervous, the process can be reversed by reconnecting all the 3 wires back. I used to perform this software bypass every time when i start up my Rx330, but sometimes you ended up forget about it and had the urge begging for permanent solution.
Old 11-01-06, 01:29 PM
rainforest
Rookie

Wave: I tried the software bypass and it doesn't work. I have the DVD version 6.1. Unfortunately, the only way is the hardware bypass.
Old 11-01-06, 01:37 PM
wavesonic
Rookie

Wave: I tried the software bypass and it doesn't work. I have the DVD version 6.1. Unfortunately, the only way is the hardware bypass.
Sigh, I guess I am on 6.1 too then. If u need a hand with bypass, let me know, I will help u out.
Old 11-01-06, 06:48 PM
rainforest
Rookie

Is it hard to open up the dash to access the wires?
Old 11-01-06, 07:28 PM
wavesonic
Rookie

Is it hard to open up the dash to access the wires?

Nope, not hard at all, it's the same exact steps as VVT-i illustrated in the DIY thread. Very simple, once the NAV is out, the wiring harness can be accessed easily at the back.

Quick Reply: GS 450h with Gen 5 NAVI system...