GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

V1 & remote display install guide for 3GS (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-06, 01:05 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SlothGS
Great writeup... thanks for sharing. I am curious as to why you did not tap the power from one of the fuse boxes?? I just hardwired mine and tapped the power from the fuse to the sunroof. Works fine but its not a switched circuit.
Thanks, I tapped the cig lighter because I had to remove the center console anyways for the iPod adapter install. Also, I don't know how to tap into the fuse box.
Old 07-19-07, 12:36 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tapped into the overhead console? Thats what I did for my BMW 3-series (E46). This would avoid running wires down the A-pillar, etc.
Old 07-21-07, 10:30 PM
phattbam
Lead Lap

subscribing for later
Old 12-05-07, 01:47 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SlothGS
Great writeup... thanks for sharing. I am curious as to why you did not tap the power from one of the fuse boxes?? I just hardwired mine and tapped the power from the fuse to the sunroof. Works fine but its not a switched circuit.
any pictures of your install or perhaps a quick write up on how you did yours?

i don't want to remove my center console for this too. please help
Old 12-05-07, 02:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i don't have the consealed display as stated. but on my cars (is300 and gs400), i just tapped off the power from the moonroof / dome light, that's a very short wire to run. to run the conseal, then pretty much you just need to run a power line from a source to anywhere you like
Old 12-05-07, 04:28 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not recommend powering up from moonroof/dome light. I followed SGT instructions a year ago when I installed my x50. During the year, which happened twice, suction cups let it go and radar "fell down". I mean, it was handing by a wire and safely landed on a dashboard. If that would have been wired to dim light, it could of ripped the wire off because of it being short. Those suction cups are good, but still it happened twice (one time during extreme heat, and just recently when it got cold). So running your power wire all around adds an extra safety
Old 12-05-07, 05:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by twister
I would not recommend powering up from moonroof/dome light. I followed SGT instructions a year ago when I installed my x50. During the year, which happened twice, suction cups let it go and radar "fell down". I mean, it was handing by a wire and safely landed on a dashboard. If that would have been wired to dim light, it could of ripped the wire off because of it being short. Those suction cups are good, but still it happened twice (one time during extreme heat, and just recently when it got cold). So running your power wire all around adds an extra safety
then i have proved it wouldn't matter, because mine also fell several times over the past YEARS and the connection was just like day one when i took it apart.

the roof lining has a very tight fit with the windshield. when i installed mine, i actually had a tough time getting the phone wire to go through the lining edge. moreover, if you worry about it falling, just stick a longer wire up in the roof lining right?
Old 10-15-10, 07:54 PM
GSLEX0586
Driver

Help! I jus did this mod and now my car wont start. I dc the battery and retried but no go. Im wondering if my batt is jus weak? I had my door open the entire time i did this....about an hour and now my car wont turn on. The farthest it will go is acc mode
Old 10-15-10, 08:20 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't believe someone on this forum was recommending rocky mountain radar.
http://www.youtube.com/user/radarroy#p/u/5/tnN5jq1AhaE
Old 10-16-10, 12:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

lol, funny link batman

this thread is old, can't even see the pics.

GSLEX0586, when you try to start the car, does it even crank? i guess you can always try to jump the car and see what's up
Old 10-16-10, 08:16 AM
GSLEX0586
Driver

yea my HIDs were left on for too long and the car needed a jump. never seen a car with HIDs die so fast :/
Old 10-16-10, 09:29 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSLEX0586
yea my HIDs were left on for too long and the car needed a jump. never seen a car with HIDs die so fast :/
Was it just your interior lights on for an hour or interior and exterior lights on for an hour. If the latter I can see the battery dying. If it was the former, then I would say you have a battery problem.

I've got to say - I'm not impressed with Lexus batteries. I'm on my third one and my car is 17 months old and has only 9700 miles on the clock. My previous car was a BMW which I drove less and whose battery lasted 5 years.
Old 10-16-10, 09:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

for GSLEX0586, i can just say the battery is weak to begin with. for batman, i can't understand, something must be very wrong, seems like a constant drain (could it be the radar system?) it doesn't make sense you are on 3rd battery in 17 months

my car has been 3 yr old and battery is still very strong. and i don't hear often from 3gs people having battery problems
Old 10-16-10, 09:54 AM
GSLEX0586
Driver

i had the door open while working on the car and i didnt notice my 8000K hid's were also on (since i was under the dash/around the center console most of the time.

still not impressed with the battery. i've had HIDs on almost all my cars and never had a problem. even ran 8000k HIDs on my R1 and never had an issue with it being on for a long period of time
Old 10-16-10, 11:35 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSLEX0586
i had the door open while working on the car and i didnt notice my 8000K hid's were also on (since i was under the dash/around the center console most of the time.

still not impressed with the battery. i've had HIDs on almost all my cars and never had a problem. even ran 8000k HIDs on my R1 and never had an issue with it being on for a long period of time
Yeah but the combination of HID main beam, fogs, parking lights, tail lights, map lights, door lights, footwell lights, nav screen, bright instrument lights, and AC is a lot of a draw on the car. All of those are on if the car is powered with engine off.

Quick Reply: V1 & remote display install guide for 3GS (PICS)