GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

"Snap, crackle & pop" goes into shop tomorrow :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-06, 10:48 PM
LexFather

FYI, even though the 3GS just won most reliable, there is always room for improvement and 1st year models do have the most lil issues. Same thing happened in 1998 qwith the 2GS having more TSBs than the newer models.

COmes with the territory with any carmaker when it comes to 1st year runs. Lexus just has the least amount percentage wise.
Old 02-24-06, 05:30 AM
yon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, for what it's worth, the insulate-the-cowl-mountings procedure seems to have completely cured it. Two days of driving and I haven't heard a single problem.

BTW, this was done completely by the dealer, I only had to intervene on my ES-300 four years ago when I first got it. And to be fair, I was one of the first kids on the block to have the redesign, so they probably hadn't quite nailed down where the rattle was with the new model and/or how to fix it.
Old 02-27-06, 04:13 PM
pianovt
Rookie

Originally Posted by yon
Well, for what it's worth, the insulate-the-cowl-mountings procedure seems to have completely cured it. Two days of driving and I haven't heard a single problem.
Yon,

Any details on what exactly they did to insulate the cowl? If there is a TSB, I would really like to see it.

I know I am on the wrong forum, but one of the really annoying rattles on my 2002 GS 300 comes exactly from the same place as what you all descibe on the 2006 model. The dealer was useless, even after I tapped on the cowl to show them where the rattle comes from. The technician decided to trim some plastic piece under the cowl, which had nothing to do with the rattle. The noise seems to come from the contact surface between the cowl and the window. I can stop it by temporarily taping the cowl to the window with some masking tape. It's worst in cold weather.

I went through all the trouble to find out where the rattle comes from because I didn't want the dealer to take out the dashboard if that's not where the noise comes from. I was so relieved that it was just the cheap plastic cowl! I figured they knew exactly what to do - wrong!

Anyway, since you all seem to be tuned into the rattle problems, can you help me with some advice about a squeak/clonk/rattle that comes from the front suspension? It's not the stabilizer bar bolts, I have tightened those. The car has only 29,000 miles on it. The rubber bushings are all fine, the car is stock (incl. wheels), and it was never driven roughly. The closest I can describe the noise is like a loose shock mount. It comes from the front driver's side and sounds louder inside the passenger compartment than when I try to listen through the open window. The upper A-arm bolts were a bit loose so I tightened them up a little, but that didn't change things much. The ball joints are solid, no play at all. The noise is loudest on small bumps, which makes me wonder if it has to do with some plastic parts in the wheel well / front bumper area...

I also have creaks and groans coming from the back. That is covered in a TSB and the repair amounts to taking the rear struts out and apart to replace and properly center the rubber cushion that sits on top of the spring. If anyone has done this, could you tell me if you ran into any problems doing this job?

Thanks, all!

VT
Old 03-01-06, 01:01 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car went in today to take care of the rattle as well. I should have it back in 1 hour...hope the problem has been resolved.
Old 03-01-06, 03:08 PM
drck1000
Driver

Mine is getting checked out at Lexus service today as well. They are (hopefully) taking care of the pulsing noise when braking and rattles in the driver and passenger door. Took a technician on a road test the second day I had the car and when he heard the noise, he guessed it was rust on the rotor. There is some rust on the rotors and it had been going away as time goes on (I assume from the brake pads wearing the rust away). I asked them to clean the rotors regardless if they could reproduce the braking noise as it has almost gone away.

Regarding the rattles, I am hoping it was due to the tint shop not putting the door panel back on. The rattle in the passenger door is quite loud and sound like there is a marble in the door. It rattles on rough roads or on the white lane dividers. You can also hear something move from side to side as you take 90 degress turns. There are two other softer vibration rattles that you can hear only if the audio is off. I heard them when trying to located the loud "marble" rattle.

I hope they take care of all of these noises.
Old 03-01-06, 03:30 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by drck1000
Mine is getting checked out at Lexus service today as well. They are (hopefully) taking care of the pulsing noise when braking and rattles in the driver and passenger door. Took a technician on a road test the second day I had the car and when he heard the noise, he guessed it was rust on the rotor. There is some rust on the rotors and it had been going away as time goes on (I assume from the brake pads wearing the rust away). I asked them to clean the rotors regardless if they could reproduce the braking noise as it has almost gone away.

Regarding the rattles, I am hoping it was due to the tint shop not putting the door panel back on. The rattle in the passenger door is quite loud and sound like there is a marble in the door. It rattles on rough roads or on the white lane dividers. You can also hear something move from side to side as you take 90 degress turns. There are two other softer vibration rattles that you can hear only if the audio is off. I heard them when trying to located the loud "marble" rattle.

I hope they take care of all of these noises.
That marble sound is exactly what I have as well in my rear passenger door. I only noticed it after I got my windows tinted and had the door panels removed. Please let me know if they get down to the bottom of it when you get your car back.
Old 03-01-06, 07:40 PM
drck1000
Driver

Originally Posted by SGT
That marble sound is exactly what I have as well in my rear passenger door. I only noticed it after I got my windows tinted and had the door panels removed. Please let me know if they get down to the bottom of it when you get your car back.
SGT - The service consultant just called and said that they will need to keep my car overnight. NOT because they couldn't find what what causing the rattling, but they just didn't get any work done on my car since the tech that had done two road tests with me fell behind and had to leave early to go to a doctor's appointment!!! Not sure if that's the truth or what the truth is, but in any case it's BS. On top of that, they offer me a service loaner for April 10th! My car is only two weeks old and this problems (rust on the rotors) should have been taken care of before I took delivery. Perhaps it's my fault for not checking for rust on the rotors. It's always the first think I would look for! The service consultant wasnt helpful at all.

So then I call my salesperson, who is a family friend, and he arranged for a service loaner for me! One big plus for the salesperson and one HUGE minus for the service department. I will have to talk to the salespeople about this one! It's a brand new car. I had to wait almost two weeks to get this looked at (noticed the problem the second day) and then they want me to wait almost two months to take care of this! I understand getting back logged and their commitment to their other customers whom they have to service, but that was ridiculous. Just didn't have time to get to my car! Well, guess what, that's what you get paid to do!

Ok, end of rant.

But I will get back to you when I do finally get my car back.
Old 03-02-06, 04:40 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS4fun
My car went in today to take care of the rattle as well. I should have it back in 1 hour...hope the problem has been resolved.
Got it back....much much better....the report stated something about windshield pins used for installation were removed...or something like that.

I'm a happy camper again.
Old 03-02-06, 06:06 AM
costanza
Pole Position

Can anyone post a picture of these pins?
Old 03-03-06, 11:02 PM
DrComputer
Pole Position

Good news and bad news. After having my car for two weeks to fix the creaking from the dash around the NAV screen and from the windshield area, Longo said my car was done and returned it to me via flat bed. They replaced the front windshield, center arm rest and put foam behind the console around the NAV screen. I went to drive the car home from the office that night when I noticed that all of the lights in the center console were dark and the NAV screen didn't switch to night mode. The creak, however, seamed to be gone.

So I called back the dealer and they apologized and picked the car back up the next day. I figured they just had forgotten to plug back in a cable when they took apart the dash and it would be a simple fix....or so I thought.

I got a call the next morning saying they found a lose cable and that should fix the problem. They then called later saying that when they plugged back in the cable a fuse would blow and that they needed it another day to figure it out. The following afternoon I got a call from my service writer and the senior engineer saying they can't figure it out and that they are contacting Lexus support for further assistance.

So they will now have had my car for almost three weeks to perform a 10K service and fix a squeak. I'm not angry. I just find the situation amusing. I'm sure they will figure out what they did and how to fix it. In the meantime it gives me an excuse to drive my Mazda RX-8....or the boring ES330 loaner I have. I'll post what the problem was once they figure it out.
Old 03-04-06, 07:08 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrComputer
Good news and bad news. After having my car for two weeks to fix the creaking from the dash around the NAV screen and from the windshield area, Longo said my car was done and returned it to me via flat bed. They replaced the front windshield, center arm rest and put foam behind the console around the NAV screen. I went to drive the car home from the office that night when I noticed that all of the lights in the center console were dark and the NAV screen didn't switch to night mode. The creak, however, seamed to be gone.

So I called back the dealer and they apologized and picked the car back up the next day. I figured they just had forgotten to plug back in a cable when they took apart the dash and it would be a simple fix....or so I thought.

I got a call the next morning saying they found a lose cable and that should fix the problem. They then called later saying that when they plugged back in the cable a fuse would blow and that they needed it another day to figure it out. The following afternoon I got a call from my service writer and the senior engineer saying they can't figure it out and that they are contacting Lexus support for further assistance.

So they will now have had my car for almost three weeks to perform a 10K service and fix a squeak. I'm not angry. I just find the situation amusing. I'm sure they will figure out what they did and how to fix it. In the meantime it gives me an excuse to drive my Mazda RX-8....or the boring ES330 loaner I have. I'll post what the problem was once they figure it out.
That sucks...i would be pissed off.
Old 03-04-06, 09:55 AM
scottmyers
Pole Position

I went through this crap with the dealer trying to fix this issue so long that I finally lost my patience. Basically no matter what they did, it was never fixed.They ended replacing the vehicle for me. The new GS's since December seem to have that issue resolved.
Old 03-06-06, 08:45 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by drck1000
SGT - The service consultant just called and said that they will need to keep my car overnight. NOT because they couldn't find what what causing the rattling, but they just didn't get any work done on my car since the tech that had done two road tests with me fell behind and had to leave early to go to a doctor's appointment!!! Not sure if that's the truth or what the truth is, but in any case it's BS. On top of that, they offer me a service loaner for April 10th! My car is only two weeks old and this problems (rust on the rotors) should have been taken care of before I took delivery. Perhaps it's my fault for not checking for rust on the rotors. It's always the first think I would look for! The service consultant wasnt helpful at all.

So then I call my salesperson, who is a family friend, and he arranged for a service loaner for me! One big plus for the salesperson and one HUGE minus for the service department. I will have to talk to the salespeople about this one! It's a brand new car. I had to wait almost two weeks to get this looked at (noticed the problem the second day) and then they want me to wait almost two months to take care of this! I understand getting back logged and their commitment to their other customers whom they have to service, but that was ridiculous. Just didn't have time to get to my car! Well, guess what, that's what you get paid to do!

Ok, end of rant.

But I will get back to you when I do finally get my car back.
drck1000, have you gotten your car back? If so, what are the results? I'm taking my car in this Saturday for the 5k mile service and will mention the windshield squeaking and rear passenger door rattle to them. I also have a rattle in the moonroof which I will be letting them know about.
Old 03-06-06, 10:13 AM
costanza
Pole Position

Can anyone post a pic of these "pins"?
Old 03-06-06, 10:29 AM
drck1000
Driver

Originally Posted by SGT
drck1000, have you gotten your car back? If so, what are the results? I'm taking my car in this Saturday for the 5k mile service and will mention the windshield squeaking and rear passenger door rattle to them. I also have a rattle in the moonroof which I will be letting them know about.
SGT - Hey man. Nope, I still have to loaner. I called (I had to call them to check-up on status) on Friday afternoon and they requested that they keep it Saturday and will let me know today (Monday) on the status. On Friday, they reported that the tech had the door panels off and was trying to locate the source of the rattles and were taping up wiring and such to secure them. They were supposed to move on to the brakes next. I should find out more later on today. Still 8am here (Hawaii). Will post and let you know.

On a side note, I called and talked to the Lexus service manager about my car. The first day they had it, they reported that they didn't even take a look at it. The appt scheduler said that it should take no more than a full day and said that I didn't need to request a service loaner. So when they didn't even take a look at the car, my options were to find a ride home (last minute) or come back another day. BS, I waited 2 weeks to get this appointment after picking up my BRAND NEW car! I don't think I am more important than other service customers, but why have me come in and not even get my car looked at? Then the second day, they reported that they replaced the interior trim for the driver's B-pillar (my friend gouged the panel with his key) and that's it! A 30 minute procedure is all that got accomplished on a second day. And this is after the service manager got involved, he agreed with my assessment of the situation and said that he would make sure that I was taken care of. Haven't heard from him since last week Thursday. My patience is getting very short with this situation. I am also very disappointed with the service (or lack thereof) that I am receiving and the lip service that I am getting from the service consultant and the manager. Will be asking for an explaination for why this took so long and WHY my car wasn't even looked at on the day that I took it in. I ended up getting a service loaner, but I had to pursue that with my sales agent.

Quick Reply: "Snap, crackle & pop" goes into shop tomorrow :(