GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

ECT : have you used it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-06, 08:55 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECT : have you used it?

I tried it the other day and man does it wake up the car...i remember on my 02 Tacoma had the same button and i kept it on all the time without any discernable depreciation to my gas mileage. Has anyone driven around with it on on their GS? Did you notice any degradation with their gas mileage?
Old 01-16-06, 09:12 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Al that does is make the engine rev higher right? Instead of it shifting earlier it shifts later?
Old 01-16-06, 10:06 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

i believe it does move the shift point higher...maybe something else i dont know about
Old 01-17-06, 10:27 PM
JDMstuff
Driver School Candidate

I used it for the first time today. Made my GS300 feel like a totally different car. It was so much fun, I got a speeding ticket.
Old 01-18-06, 06:17 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

i guess the caveat is that you have to be careful w/ the right foot it is deceptive as the car is quiet and smooth that you dont know that you've broken the law.
Old 01-18-06, 07:10 PM
Raptor.1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I leave mine in the ECT position all of the time. Yeah, it makes the car more aggressive by higher revs when shifting gears.
Old 01-18-06, 08:30 PM
akim47
Driver

Originally Posted by JDMstuff
I used it for the first time today. Made my GS300 feel like a totally different car. It was so much fun, I got a speeding ticket.

sorry bout the ticket... our car ain't the fastest, but its still fun to open up on it....
Old 01-18-06, 09:46 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Raptor.1
I leave mine in the ECT position all of the time. Yeah, it makes the car more aggressive by higher revs when shifting gears.
notice any difference in gas comsumption? Not that it matters just curious
Old 01-18-06, 10:45 PM
Raptor.1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foofighter
notice any difference in gas comsumption? Not that it matters just curious

Actually no. It does effect your gas milage if your in the higher rpms a lot but if your just doing everyday driving it wont be any diferent. "At least I think so~"

For me my driving is mostly on the freeways so I am getting mid 20's MPG, it is just when I drive hard that the MPG in ECT mode decline.
Old 01-19-06, 05:07 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got to try out ECT. I'll let you guys know if it affects my gas mileage.
Old 01-19-06, 06:24 AM
GS4_LEX
Driver School Candidate

Default ect.

I have always driven with all the Lexus's that I have owned with ECT on. I never turn it off. I have tried it off but it doesn't change my MPG by more than .5 unless I get on it often. But the trade off is not enough for me to turn it off.
Old 01-19-06, 06:37 AM
costanza
Pole Position

The thing that I really notice about the ECT is that is causes your tranmission to shift into a lower gear sooner as you deccelerate.
Most standard trannys hold their gearing for awhile as you deccelerate, and when you press the throttle to accelerate, you can feel it drop down a gear. With the ECT on, it has already dropped on it's own before you press the throttle. At least that's what it fells like to me, which would makes since because it is a "sport" mode.
Old 01-19-06, 06:13 PM
scotts
Driver School Candidate

Default Ect

I drove home using the power mode. The car felt like a different car,much quicker shifts and much faster.The car just wanted to go fast I dont see a reason for a gs350. All that power and 21 mpg around town. I love this car and I forgot it ever had any rattles.
Old 01-19-06, 07:03 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

i swear, Lexus/Toyota should really call ECT "sport" mode because that's what it really is doing...holding the revs longer, more aggressive shifts (not as smooth) and a hell of a lot of fun.

I also notice when i'm in the "manual" mode it's crazy fun...
Old 01-19-06, 07:56 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Foo its funny you bring this up cuz yesterday i had one of my buddy with me and we were driving on the 91 and we had another coworker following us in the company van....well my buddy tells me to GUN it (to **** of the van behind us) so i turn on the ECT and dropped the foot on the gas HOLY SHIZNIT!!!!! i swear i went to 120mph in i have no idea how fast but the color of my buddy's face changed from one to the other...we did not even see where the van went because i could not see it in my rear view mirror ....on top of that for some odd reason we had a E500 try to race with us i guess thinking we were trying to be cool.........the ECT REALLY DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!

Last edited by NYlexus; 01-19-06 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: ECT : have you used it?