GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GPS upgrade for 2006 GS300

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-06, 07:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by michaeltan
Unfortunately, the Mark Levinson Navigation is using the Harman International mapping system, and I have enquired, they are unable to get rights for the mapping data for Singapore and Malaysia.
Hmm interesting. Navigation maps that Toyota/Lexus use including interface and mapping is directly from Fujitusu-Ten & Denso. Here in the states, Nav is only available in North America. The outlying US territorial islands including the state of HI is not mapped due to the fact Fujitsu-Ten/Denso does not have the mapping rights to those areas. However Navteq does. Navteq supplies the navigation mapping for Garmin and many other makes/ manufacturers.

Mark Levinson is owned by Harman International but they only deal with the speakers and amplifiers on Lexus audio. They have nothing to do with the navigation or the interfaces.
Old 01-25-06, 07:53 PM
michaeltan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Hmm interesting. Navigation maps that Toyota/Lexus use including interface and mapping is directly from Fujitusu-Ten & Denso. Here in the states, Nav is only available in North America. The outlying US territorial islands including the state of HI is not mapped due to the fact Fujitsu-Ten/Denso does not have the mapping rights to those areas. However Navteq does. Navteq supplies the navigation mapping for Garmin and many other makes/ manufacturers.

Mark Levinson is owned by Harman International but they only deal with the speakers and amplifiers on Lexus audio. They have nothing to do with the navigation or the interfaces.
Thanks flipside for the definitive. I'm now attempting to source a 3rd party solution based on the Garmin mapping interface, and I do not need to use the touchscreen for input, but would like to see the map on the screen.

This question has been asked before, I'm sure, but in this context, is there a digital interface standard which the screen adheres to so that I can patch in the video output of the 3rd party device?
Old 01-25-06, 07:58 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Thanks flipside for the definitive. I'm now attempting to source a 3rd party solution based on the Garmin mapping interface, and I do not need to use the touchscreen for input, but would like to see the map on the screen.

This question has been asked before, I'm sure, but in this context, is there a digital interface standard which the screen adheres to so that I can patch in the video output of the 3rd party device?
Hacks have been done to intercept the video IN on various Lexus model's nav screens, but to use the touch screen interface with a 3rd party source, that's impossible.
Old 01-25-06, 08:04 PM
michaeltan
Driver School Candidate

can you post a pointer to the hacks? I don't need to use the touchscreen as a input, but I'd like to see the maps on the screen.
Old 01-25-06, 08:08 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

can you post a pointer to the hacks? I don't need to use the touchscreen as a input, but I'd like to see the maps on the screen.
Oops should have clarified. Nav screen hack as in adding an "Aux-IN" for video i.e. watching aftermarket DVD video from an external player or simply playing PS2 on the screen or etc.
Old 01-25-06, 08:25 PM
michaeltan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flipside909
Oops should have clarified. Nav screen hack as in adding an "Aux-IN" for video i.e. watching aftermarket DVD video from an external player or simply playing PS2 on the screen or etc.
Yes, that's what I need. There will be 2 ways -

1) using analog where a S-Video or composite analog output from device can input to the screen. Good but clarity is compromised. But beggars can't be choosers, so if there's a link to more detail, please post.

2) If we bypass the analog-digital connector (since all LCDs are digital) and access the LCD's interface chip, we'll have better quality since we don't go through a digital-analog-digital conversion stage. But we'll have to know the protocol. If any of your insiders can supply you with this information, I'd be very grateful.
Old 01-25-06, 10:34 PM
bigtiger
Driver School Candidate

Michaeltan, thanks for your reply. My reply to your post as follows:

1. Venting frustrations on you
Ok shall direct them all at the dealer then

2. GPS mapping
I've read your post and flipside99's post as well. Let me ask both of you this. What is BMW, Mercedes or Nissan using? Because in Singapore their vehicles have the GPS system in place. I am quite sure that none of them are using the Fujitsu or Navteq systems/maps.

Plus, what has Fujitsu or Navteq got to do with Singapore? By the way Michaeltan why are you bothering with Garmin. Firstly there are no Garmin GPS handhelds or systems sold here so i am quite sure there are no Garmin Singapore type maps. Can you use the Mapking one on it? That ones for Windows CE/Mobile operating systems only right.

Also if you do all the patching stuff you are describing you will have one of the messiest and silliest looking cockpits in town. Just image that you have a GPS enabled handheld or somethign to that effect which already has a screen. Then you hook that up on your dash and then run the cable to the Lexus main screen and another cable to power/cigarette ligher adapter. That's just ridiculous don't you think. Why not just get a GPS enabled handheld and just use the navigation from the device itself.

2. Rights for mapping
Michaeltan. Isn't it strange that BMW, Nissan and Mercedes can negotiate rights for the vehicles and Lexus can't? The question is not whether can or cannot but whether the dealer (The SOLE dealer) wants to make an investment and proceed with acquiring the rights. Should they? Which leads to my next point and answer to another one you made.

3. Customization of cars
Firstly you say Singapore only had sales of about 300 GS300's. And yes i am sure Mercedes and BMW sold a lot more e-class's and 5 series. But then again, if Lexus wants to sell as many GS's as E's and 5's don't you think they need to make an investment on this?

Another point which makes yours moot. How come anyone can specify the moon/sun roof and not the GPS here? Which is harder to include may i ask? Which one requires more work to incorporate?

I think it comes down to one simple question. How many Lexus owners in Singapore (not only for GS but the upcoming IS, ES and LS) want GPS in their cars? Let me answer that. At least 75%. Know why? Because its already available in the 5 series here, comes standard with the E-class etc. So if its in all the other cars, and lexus doesn't provide, then what does that say about Lexus. So if 75% of Lexus owners want navigation than it should be standard specification yeah. No customization at all.

Final thoughts:
Michaeltan instead of looking for a workaround for what we should be having in the car, why not we get together a whole bunch of Singapore lexus owners and request our local dealer to do something about it. Anyways even if we don't do anything about it, they will have to at the end of the day or Lexus will say this is a crappy dealer who is not competitive and cuts them off. Lexus just cannot lose on features. It always loads up the car to compete with Merc and BMW.
Old 01-25-06, 10:55 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Just for clarification.

BMW, MBZ and Nissan use Navteq based mapping. Navteq is a major supplier for digital Nav mapping for many manufacturers. They also own licensing to mapping to many countries/regions. Lexus is limited to mapping done by Denso and Fujitsu Ten...which is why there are many regions that are mapped by other makes (using Navteq based maps) where the Toyota/Lexus navigation using Denso/Fujitsu-Ten mapping have no data for. Navteq has the mapping rights for Singapore and Malaysia.

http://www.navteq.com/corporate/global.html
Old 01-25-06, 11:15 PM
michaeltan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your points.

Garmin is readily available in Singapore. The reason why I want Garmin is the availability of public domain maps from http://www.malsingmaps.com/ These maps are daily updated with the best waypoints and are easily the best maps available in this country. Yes they all have routing information. I like a user maintained GPS map.

Mercedes E-Class all have GPS as a S$13,500 option. If there was a promotion `with GPS' it has since lapsed.

As for Singapore customers, give them a choice between a S$10K discount or a GPS, most if not all will take the S$10K discount, but that's just my opinion.

Afterthoughts - I know if I insisted on a GPS, I'd probably get it (the Fujitsu/Denso one) but probably I wouldn't have the maps which work with it.

The dealer does not have the capability to negotiate licensing maps. These are very expensive deals. Lexus has got to do it. What the dealer can do is to recommend a GPS solution by a 3rd party, which they have, but I'm looking for something better from the knowledge base in this forum.
Old 01-26-06, 08:12 PM
michaeltan
Driver School Candidate

At the end, I bought myself a Garmin 276C and velcro'ed it to the dash top centre and am very happy with it. Singapore and Malaysia users, free routable Garmin maps at http://www.malsingmaps.com