GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GPS upgrade for 2006 GS300

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-06, 08:59 PM
michaeltan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS upgrade for 2006 GS300

I just got my ride and breaking it in now.

In Singapore they do not offer GPS even as an option. I have a few queries:

1) Is the GPS hardware built into every car Lexus makes, just not activated if no map DVD is inserted?

2) Is there any way to connect a 3rd party GPS kit to the 2006 GS300, but using the GS300's LCD screen for map display and the audio system for voice navigation?

3) Is there a 3rd party GPS kit which works with the GS300 screen which is Garmin map compatible?

Thanks for your time reading this query.
Old 01-23-06, 09:05 AM
bigtiger
Driver School Candidate

The answer to all your questions is NO.
Old 01-24-06, 07:20 AM
bigtiger
Driver School Candidate

By the way Michael, this is why you are paying about S$30k less for a GS300 than a Merc E240 or BMW 525i. They left out all the extras and there is no way to specify any options in singapore except for the rear view camera, sunroof and ventilated seats. Also note that you cannot adjust settings like our U.S. counterparts can. For e.g. they can configure the car so that after driving off for a few seconds, the car auto locks. Or of course that you can watch DVDs on the LCD screen. We can't here.

Don't ever think lexus is good value in Singapore. They just strip everything off and sell you a base car with no options. Hey even Mercedes and BMW are giving 3 years free servicing and has standard GPS navigation. That should make up all the difference already. Hope you knew all this before you purchased. If not, you got suckered.

The fact is. Lexus is only as good as its dealers who are selling and servicing the vehicles. i think everyone on this forum will agree to that. And in Singapore we only have one dealer and there is no competition within the brand and no incentive to do better. So if they serve you instant meals instead of a nicely cooked meal, you got no choice but to eat it.

anyways we all know in class conscious Singapore that if you own a lexus, its because you cannot afford a mercedes or bmw. not because you really want one. And judging by what the only dealer is doing, the image will stay that way for a long long time.

Last edited by bigtiger; 01-24-06 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-24-06, 07:42 AM
timoc42
Lead Lap

Wow, i did not know that the GPS was not available in the GS in singapore.

But, doesn't MB and BMW each only have 1 main dealer : Cycle & Carriage and Performance Motors?
Old 01-24-06, 06:46 PM
bigtiger
Driver School Candidate

timoc42,

Yup BMW and Merc only have 1 dealer each in Singapore as well. But the difference is this.

Are there parallel imports sold by independent dealers for much less for BMW = yes. For mercedes benz = yes. For the new Lexus models (2006 GS, 2007 IS etc. i mean. not talking about prior rebranded toyotas like the harrier and aristo), = no.

So they need not try any harder because if you want that car, you can only get from them. Now if i wanted a Merc E240 i could get it from cycle & carriage (official dealer) or i could get it from a parallel importer for around S$30k less. So cycle & carriage starts loading their cars with extras like GPS, 3 year free servicing and warranties and other stuff like that which they know the parallel importer cannot do.

Now Borneo Motors, well... all i can say is that when companies get too big and occupy such huge market share in singapore, they get complacent and don't try as hard any more.

Hmmm.....if there are any Toyota/Lexus management people reading this forum, don't you think its time you introduce another dealer in Singapore for toyota/lexus cars so you can keep your current dealer in check. I mean they sell 1 in every 4 cars in Singapore. I think if they did 1 in 8 they would be a lot more hungry. Don't you?

I for one am a frustrated lexus loyalists...who may not be so loyal much longer. Don't let the dealer manage your relationships with your customers. They are "dealers" not "relationship managers".
Old 01-24-06, 09:05 PM
michaeltan
Driver School Candidate

Bigtiger, thanks for your post.

In Singapore, we actually know the price paid by the dealer to Toyota because of the taxation system which puts everything for public view on the web. They mark up about S$20,000 (about 10%) from their cost. This price the dealer paid is about the same as what the Mercedes dealer pays to DaimlerChrysler, but Mercedes dealer marks up about S$50,000 or more from their cost. This is why Lexus is cheaper and better value here.

Before this, I owned a ... err... far more expensive Mercedes (and in my own opinion, far less value) factory fitted to my own requirements - thermotronic, parktronic, choice of wood trim, side mirror power folding, uprated suspension . My experience with Mercedes Benz made be run to Lexus once it was time to change the car.

The Singapore version is actually fully loaded for Singapore. I don't see it as stripped down. We have 2 versions here, the SL and the normal model. The SL (superluxe) version has the additional park assist and a moon roof. The settings for auto car locking after a few seconds have been disabled to minimize liability because of a case a few years back where some guy got locked in after a crash and the bolted car could not be opened easily from outside.

Standard Features on all models include the following items which you have as options in the US or available in the Luxe model:

- Rain-sensing variable intermittent windshield wipers with mist control, headlamp washers and Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) - $525 [2]
- Power rear-window sunshade - $210 [2]
- Mark Levinson [5] 14-speaker 330-watt [6] Premium Surround Sound Audio System
- Bluetooth® technology [12]
- 10-way driver's and front passenger's power seats
- Power lumbar support for front seats
- Heated front seats
- Lexus Memory System to control power driver's and front passenger's seats (except lumbar), outside mirrors and steering wheel
- Dual-zone automatic climate control with interior air filter, smog sensor and automatic recirculation mode sensor and automatic recirculation mode
- Remote-linked window and available moonroof opening
- Electrochromic (auto-dimming) inside mirror and outside mirrors
- SmartAccess with push-button start/stop
- Power trunk closer
- HID Discharge headlamps

Available in Superluxe version (US$ 8000 more)

- Ventilated front seats - $200 [2]
- Power tilt-and-slide moonroof with one-touch open/close and sliding sunshade - $1,000 [2]
- backup camera [4]
- Available ventilated front seats with multistage fans

What I really want but not available as an option:

- Lexus voice-activated DVD Navigation System [3]

not approved by authorities:

- Lexus Pre-Collision System (PCS) [7] and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control [4] - $2,850 [2]

We really don't need these:

- All-season run-flat tires (RWD) [9] - $400 [2]
- All-season run-flat tires with spare [9] (RWD only, standard on AWD) - $480 [2]

Originally Posted by bigtiger
By the way Michael, this is why you are paying about S$30k less for a GS300 than a Merc E240 or BMW 525i. They left out all the extras and there is no way to specify any options in singapore except for the rear view camera, sunroof and ventilated seats. Also note that you cannot adjust settings like our U.S. counterparts can. For e.g. they can configure the car so that after driving off for a few seconds, the car auto locks. Or of course that you can watch DVDs on the LCD screen. We can't here.

Don't ever think lexus is good value in Singapore. They just strip everything off and sell you a base car with no options. Hey even Mercedes and BMW are giving 3 years free servicing and has standard GPS navigation. That should make up all the difference already. Hope you knew all this before you purchased. If not, you got suckered.

The fact is. Lexus is only as good as its dealers who are selling and servicing the vehicles. i think everyone on this forum will agree to that. And in Singapore we only have one dealer and there is no competition within the brand and no incentive to do better. So if they serve you instant meals instead of a nicely cooked meal, you got no choice but to eat it.

anyways we all know in class conscious Singapore that if you own a lexus, its because you cannot afford a mercedes or bmw. not because you really want one. And judging by what the only dealer is doing, the image will stay that way for a long long time.
Old 01-24-06, 09:52 PM
michaeltan
Driver School Candidate

From a Singapore point of view, me, my family and circle of friends and colleagues deal quite extensively with Lexus, Mercedes and BMW distributors. We find that (unless you get an M-car or an AMG) the service from Lexus is best of all, and they take the least profit.

From the point of competition, they are competing against Mercedes, BMW and Audi. Contrary to what you say, parallel imports for Mercedes is worst, followed closely by Lexus. BMW export controls are tight, so parallel imports for BMW is least. And nobody bothers about the Audi, volvos etc.

I may be missing something, but my observations on Singapore differ greatly from Bigtiger's. Bigtiger, are you resident in Singapore? What am I missing to create such a great chasm in our understanding of Singapore market?
Old 01-24-06, 11:34 PM
InTheHole
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus in Spore

bigtiger -

insightful post but I do seriously think that you paint a very warped picture of the automotive inductry and market in Singapore. I moved on from a BMW and my family members own Mercs and BMWs too, so no real reason to view it as a downgrade at all. Just like michaeltan pointed out, the margins made by dealers in Singapore is very transparent and it is widely known, and accepted, that Merc and BMW have some of highest mark-ups in the market.

Having owned a BMW, I just want to comment that Performance Motors' service is mediocre only. I have heard similar stories re Merc's service. In fact both marques are overly expensive to aintain in Singapore as well - go figure whether it makes sense then to own one of these cars if there is a more economical alternative elsewhere for no less comfort etc.

The base models of BMW and Mercs sure are considered quite cheap in Singapore - but these are base models, add folding wing mirrors and its $$$, add a rear shade and HID lights and its $$$ again.... it just doesn't add up if you want a car to the specs of the GS and yet keep the pricing reasonable.
Old 01-25-06, 12:12 AM
michaeltan
Driver School Candidate

I must say that the Merc and BMW dealers in Singapore are pleasant people. However, especially in the case of Mercedes, the inherent problems with their cars, cause even the nicest dealers with good polite manners to give up hope, and the nicest of customers to get angry with them for not solving problems.

My people bought 5 Mercs and 3 BMWs in the past 5 years. Enough of Mercs until they improve their inherent quality - tappet breakage, suspension bushings to be changed within 30,000km, cam shaft advancer failure, battery discharge due to misprogramming of seat adjustment computer, battery failure, Thermotronic computer malfunction to cut off airconditioner if trip takes about 3 hours, squeaky brakes, unsolvable rattles in the dash, electronic throttle mapping corruption, broken plastic trims in cabin, intermittent failure of the becker audio head unit, various sensor issues resulting in engine going into safe mode, moon roof rattles, water pump breakage, multiple brake rotor regrinding, replacement - and it's all just off the top of my head. BMWs.... well.... BMW fans sometimes too embarassed to tell me all their problems, but the guy sitting right next to me has his M3 in the shop at least once a month. It's not polite to pry into someone's affairs, especially one who's at least not whining about his problems.
Old 01-25-06, 12:16 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

1) No
2) There maybe a way to view video in from an aftermarket nav with a little bit of hacking of the system of course but it's doubtful you will be able to use the touchscreen capabilities with an aftermarket system. So no there is no 3rd party kit that integrates with the factory display.
3) See answer #2 above.
Old 01-25-06, 12:20 AM
michaeltan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bigtiger
Hey even Mercedes and BMW are giving 3 years free servicing and has standard GPS navigation. That should make up all the difference already. Hope you knew all this before you purchased. If not, you got suckered.

LOL.... Merc gives you the GPS hardware without a map. BMW - only if they can make about S$50K off you, you get a free GPS with a map.

When I was considering a new car 3 weeks back, my choices were the BMW 525, 530 and the CLS350. CLS was out since I needed a centre seat, and I didn't even consider the price which was S$129K more than the GS300. The 525 and 530 were about S$30K and S$61K (if I remember correctly) more expensive than the GS300 with less features, lower quality trim, marginally better driveability, so, I got the GS300 instead. It was a no brainer. I'm buying a car for myself, not as a status symbol, for god's sake. I'd buy a Corolla if it had 200+ HP and rear wheel drive and a really nice ride.
Old 01-25-06, 02:52 AM
bigtiger
Driver School Candidate

Fantastic! At last all the Singapore guys are out here! If only we had a forum just for Lexus owners in Singapore. More importantly if only we had one that was ACTIVE.

Ok good good. Let me reply to some of the posts from my point of view.

Firstly, i have owned these three cars:
1. Mercedes E240 (the latest generation and still in our family)
2. BMW 520i (previous generation and my previous car)
3. 2006 Lexus GS300 (current car)

Here's my reply to some of the things mentioned:

1. Michaeltan running away from his ex-merc to a Lexus GS = I am not surprised. I ran from my BMW and am trying to convince my loyalist merc buying parents to change over to lexus as well just based on the quality/reliability of the car alone. Mercs and BMWs have gazillion problems i agree.

2. Michaeltan mentioning the DVD navigation system not being approved by authorities: Did you hear this from the dealer? Load of bull this would be. Its simply a matter of whether they want to take the time to get the correct software company with the maps that integrate with the system and authorities to check it out (note that you cannot play DVDS when the car is moving. I don't see the problem with safety). Its just lack of effort on the dealer's part or perhaps they just don't have the correct personnel working there who understands this. So they just give up. Now i am almost 100% sure of this MichaelTan that if Merc starts having GPS as standard on all models (I think it will be so soon), BMW does so too, perhaps if lower end Nissan jumps in (which they have on the Murano albeit i heard its a crap system), and everyone else does in a few years time....miraculously....miraculously the dealer will say that the authroities have suddenly decided to approve their system as well. Especially since authorities in the rest of the world have no problem with it (sarcasm intended here).

3. Michaeltan on markups by dealers: Yes sir. You are correct. I am corrected. Much more insightful in these matters is he

4. Michaeltan on Parallel imports of lexus: Let me clarify. For the 2006 Lexus GS that we all own. Are there parallel imports of this car? From what i understand parallel imports exist only for previous versions of this and the IS and the RX. Am i correct? If i am, then this is why i say the dealer is complacent. No need to offer any of the options people might want since i'm offering the only version of the car they can buy here.

5. Inthehole and Michaeltan on Lexus service being the best: Yes sir. I agree. However service is only as good as the people who work there and the person servicing your car. Like when i brought in mine the last time they did some checks on the system and when they gave me back the car they had forgotten to reset some settings and i could not wind down any of my windows. Had to drive back and get them to reset it. So i would never say any one car company's service is better than the other. All depends on the person servicing and his/her attitude and attention to detail. I am 100% sure everyone will agree with me on this one. I mean some of the guys working in independent workshops (and these are generally the best guys since they own the workshops as well) do fantastic work.

The real frustration i have Michael, Inthehole is this. If you have a brand that is so lauded for its quality of product, so good in terms of performance and after sales service, why, why go screw up in terms of giving customers what they want. If i want to specify say the 18 inch rims versus the 17 inch ones the GS300 ships with, why can't i get it (I think now you can but initial purchasers could not). If i want GPS why can't i get it. If i want to watch DVDs why can't i get it? If i want any one option, and i am willing to pay for it, i should get it. I don't mind waiting a while more for the car just to get it to my specifications.

So as i have been mentioning. Car is great, no doubt. Brand is good, no doubt. Dealer is not forward thinking and offering customers what they want. as i have mentioned in my points above. Agree? Or at least partially agree lah people

It will be interesting when the new IS, LS and even ES launch in Singapore later in the year. Especially for the LS where the options list is likely to be very very long. I am quite sure the dealer here once again will frustrate Lexus enthusiasts by delivering the product in a guise that isn't catered to the customer's exact requirements. Ok if you are buying a $100 pair of jeans. Not ok if you are forking out S$300,000 for a car.
Old 01-25-06, 03:40 AM
michaeltan
Driver School Candidate

Bigtiger, yes we are very much alive.

1) What's not approved by the authorities is the distronic thingie. This was in a press statement released long ago with Daimlerchrysler. I remembered it but can't dig it up. GPS - ****, this is why I wanted the GPS. Actually if I wanted, I had to wait for a customized model from Japan. I did not want to wait for the GPS, so I didn't bother to wait for it for customization.

2) The DVD Video is not available for the GS300 anywhere in the world.

4) The GS markup is too low for it to be brought in. This was documented as their strategy in one of their press releases in 2004. There is not tight export control for the GS. As a trader myself, for other things, not cars, I realise that low markups is the solution for elimination of parallel imports.

5) **** happens.

Actually, if you wanted a customized car, I think it is possible, just have to wait for about 3-6 months. I was at the BMW factory - they allow changes to your car specification up to 10 days before construction date. I don't think Lexus has this flexibility in their manufacturing software yet, but perhaps it would be a matter of time.

I have customized a car myself from Mercedes. It was a nice experience but I had to wait for 6 months. Right now I prefer to have instant fulfilment, and rely on the aftermarket for the one thing I really want - the GPS. As we say in Singapore, `Never mind lah! Bo pian'
Old 01-25-06, 09:16 AM
bigtiger
Driver School Candidate

michaeltan got your private message and will incorporate my answers in this reply to yours. By the way your replies are absolute rubbish. Read mine to see why.

1) What's not approved by the authorities is the distronic thingie. This was in a press statement released long ago with Daimlerchrysler. I remembered it but can't dig it up. GPS - ****, this is why I wanted the GPS. Actually if I wanted, I had to wait for a customized model from Japan. I did not want to wait for the GPS, so I didn't bother to wait for it for customization.

My Answer:
As per your personal message to me, you are mentioning the distronic thing in the Lexus Pre-Collision System (PCS) [7] and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control [4] - $2,850 [2]
Nothing to do with GPS yeah. Man you sure pay no attention to detail and just rat off everything without checking.
So i am correct now. The fact that the dealer does not give us the option here in Singapore for the GPS system is because they either can't be bothered to do so, or they have no clue how to do so, or a combination of the two. Nothing to do with our authorities and regulations yeah.

2) The DVD Video is not available for the GS300 anywhere in the world.

My Answer:
Michael, michael, michael. You must be one of those guys who like to talk but don't have the facts to back it up and do zero research. There is DVD video and it comes along when you specify the navigation system. You CAN view DVD video on the LCD screen if the car is parked. Unless you are saying everyone on this forum is wrong and reviewers of this car all over the world are wrong. Please check before you answer yeah. Just do a search around this forum or the internet. You obviously are not an active participant or reader of this forum.

4) The GS markup is too low for it to be brought in. This was documented as their strategy in one of their press releases in 2004. There is not tight export control for the GS. As a trader myself, for other things, not cars, I realise that low markups is the solution for elimination of parallel imports.

My Answer:
Michael. I am right again then. There are no parallel imports of 2006 GS and thus the dealer gets complacent. No need to offer any of the options people might want since the dealer is offering the only version of the car we can buy here. And so what if they give low markups. Great we will all buy from the dealer and no one else. But what about the options? We aren't asking for them cheap you know. Just give us the option to buy.

5) **** happens.

Actually, if you wanted a customized car, I think it is possible, just have to wait for about 3-6 months. I was at the BMW factory - they allow changes to your car specification up to 10 days before construction date. I don't think Lexus has this flexibility in their manufacturing software yet, but perhaps it would be a matter of time.

I have customized a car myself from Mercedes. It was a nice experience but I had to wait for 6 months. Right now I prefer to have instant fulfilment, and rely on the aftermarket for the one thing I really want - the GPS. As we say in Singapore, `Never mind lah! Bo pian'

My Answer:
Firstly we aren't asking for a specially "customized" car ok. We are asking for the same flexibility in options as our U.S. counterparts. Do they need to wait 3 to 6 months for choosing options that are readily available and stated clearly in the lexus options list? Again Michael, i am sorry but do you actually think before you answer ? What flexibility in manufacturing software are you talking about? We are not asking for turbochargers or stuff like that. We just want gps yeah? We want things that are on the options list and that everyone in other countries can specify and choose from. Is that so difficult?

Michael i doubt you will respond to this post of mine. because it really shows you up. I am sorry but i prefer people who have good research before they post and of course if anything posted is incorrect then time to say "my bad!"
Old 01-25-06, 06:14 PM
michaeltan
Driver School Candidate

Tiger, thanks for the corrections. And there is no need to be hostile and vent your frustrations on me

The GPS is something I want. I do not have an interest in defending the dealer, but this is what I know about GPS maps in Singapore - There are 2 maps available for Singapore and Malaysia which can be obtained: you can buy Mapking for Windows/CE and a free public maintained map MalSingMap for the Garmin system. Unfortunately, the Mark Levinson Navigation is using the Harman International mapping system, and I have enquired, they are unable to get rights for the mapping data for Singapore and Malaysia.

Bringing in the GPS option without the maps is ridiculous, and will merely add cost to the car (subject to so much taxation per dollar) and in all logic, they would leave it out.

Many of options are NOT bolt on. Merely specifying the GPS would require pretty much a new car. In the promised land of USA, they have so much stock that almost any combo you choose, chances are that a car exists in their inventory which fits your requirement. In Singapore, lol... from March 2005 to now they only sold about 300 GS300 cars... no such luck.

As for the flexibility in manufacturing software, Toyota operates on a Built to Order system. But before entering the build pipeline, the leadtime for component sourcing planning is typically about 2-3 months. But I don't know how BMW does it, they accept changes 10 days before car enters the production pipeline. This is what Lexus should have. Mercedes is 30 days. Lexus is probably 90 days, once your order is entered it cannot be altered.

Last edited by michaeltan; 01-25-06 at 06:23 PM.

Quick Reply: GPS upgrade for 2006 GS300