GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Sharkfin antennae...any installed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-06, 08:15 PM
nterface
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sharkfin antennae...any installed?

Hey...

I'm looking to install aftermarket XM, but don't like the current factory antenna offering.

Anyone found a more stylish replacement out there and actually had it installed? I see that the jp version gs350 already includes these.
Old 01-26-06, 05:59 AM
costanza
Pole Position

You can use various styles of XM antennas with the factory (Pioneer built) XM receiver. You can either get another 2 wire setup, like factory, or you can get an adapter to be able to use a single wire antenna.

Go to www.xmfanstore.com and scroll down for more options.

But be FOREWARNED, the user interface for the factory XM SUCKS when are used to being able see INSTANTLY see the artist, song title, channel number, channel name and all your presets AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!

In other words, I sold my $300 Lexus factory XM receiver and got a $50 XM Roady, which I listened to, head-to-head, against the factory receiver and heard almost no difference. The Roady had a slight reduction in high frequencies which could be adjusted with the radio's treble control.

Whatever you do decide, PLEASE don't install a sharkfin style antenna. People will just think you are trying to immitate BMW

Last edited by costanza; 01-26-06 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-26-06, 06:45 AM
GS4_LEX
Driver School Candidate

Well I don't know about BMW imitation since - AUDI, ACURA, LEXUS(IN JAPAN use the shark-fin style antenna.

I think the XM (factory) stinks. I am waiting for VAISTEC to come out ( they keep on saying next month) dual IPOD and XM adapter for the 06 GS430. If they came out already then my bad. I inquired on this at the beginning of this month with Vaistec and I was told next month.

I would like to put a color matching shark fin on the rear of the roof like the Japanese bound Lexus Models.
Old 01-26-06, 04:42 PM
nterface
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by costanza
Whatever you do decide, PLEASE don't install a sharkfin style antenna. People will just think you are trying to immitate BMW
Too late...some already think that with the GS's suspiciously BMW-like "Hoffmeister kink" C-pillar, besides Audi, Acura and mercedes now offer these.
Old 01-26-06, 09:24 PM
gwmgwm
Driver School Candidate

Default factory XM radio stinks?

Originally Posted by costanza
You can use various styles of XM antennas with the factory (Pioneer built) XM receiver. You can either get another 2 wire setup, like factory, or you can get an adapter to be able to use a single wire antenna.

Go to www.xmfanstore.com and scroll down for more options.

But be FOREWARNED, the user interface for the factory XM SUCKS when are used to being able see INSTANTLY see the artist, song title, channel number, channel name and all your presets AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!

In other words, I sold my $300 Lexus factory XM receiver and got a $50 XM Roady, which I listened to, head-to-head, against the factory receiver and heard almost no difference. The Roady had a slight reduction in high frequencies which could be adjusted with the radio's treble control.

I'm a newbie to XM, or satellite radio for that matter. What is the problem with the factory XM radio interface?
Old 01-26-06, 09:40 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes, I think the sharkfin antennae (like on the BMW's) would look perfect on the 3GS (that is, if you're going for a clean factory look)

If you're going just pure elegance, shave it all and install one inside.
Old 01-27-06, 05:33 AM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

Why hasn't Lexus put the sharkfin antenna on the 2006 GS yet here in the U.S.? The GS in Japan has it and the new 2007 LS is going to have it. Also, why doesn't the 2006 GS have illuminated scuff plates and the 2006 IS does? Furthermore, why doesn't the GS have a AUX input like the IS? It's the little things that count the most IMHO. Sorry for the rant.
Old 01-27-06, 06:20 AM
costanza
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gwmgwm
I'm a newbie to XM, or satellite radio for that matter. What is the problem with the factory XM radio interface?
The factory XM receiver takes a few seconds before the name of the channel pops up when you change channels. The number of the channels appears instantly, but with SO many channels, it's hard to memorize what numbers go with which stations. On the $25 Roady XM receiver, the name of the channel shows up INSTANTLY. This may seem like a minor gripe, but when you are srolling through the channels to find something to listen to, you'll see what I mean. Also, the Lexus receiver uses "soft" button for your preset channels, which take up most of the screen. If you want to see the name of the artist and song, you have to switch to another screen! This is very annoying when with the Roady, in one glance you can see the buttons for all your presets AND the names of artists and songs. To add insult to injury, the Lexus receiver only shows like 9 characters of an artist's/song's name, whereas the Roady shows like 17 characters! In the end, if you have never enjoyed the use of a really well designed interface, such as on the Roady, you might be perfectly happy with the Lexus receiver, but I felt it was a BIG step backwards from what I had, so I pulled the $300 Lexus receiver back out and sold it.
Old 01-27-06, 06:06 PM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Does anyone know if there is another XM solution that integrates with the factory ML system? One that shows more than the 10 characters.