GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Windshield-Dash Noise Repaired

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-06, 07:34 AM
jyg es3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield was replaced on our ES300

Originally Posted by DaveJ
I took my GS300 to my dealer on Monday for the infamous windshield-dash noise problem. They had the car for about 1-1/2 days and they think the found the problem and fixed it. They determined the cause of the noise was on the outside under the plastic cowl at the bottom of the windshield. The service rep said the noise was caused by pins that presumably were used for alignment purposed during manufacturing. The rep told me they removed the pins which were no longer needed. He said this was the second time they've done this on an '06 GS to resolve the windshield-dash tapping noise. And they've done this in the past on an earlier model ES with the same problem.

Where I'm a little confused is the service report says they "insulated all contact points" under the cowl. So I'm not sure if they removed pins or insulated them. In any case, the problem appears to have been caused by these pins.

I drove the car about 20 miles in the cold and so far no noise. I'll post again if the problem returns.
Installers were real pros. at the bottom of the windshield there are 2 pins one on eac side that position the windshield. Installers placed double sided 3m foam on all sides of the pins and
replaced them in there proper position. They said its a problem on new Gs300 /430 and showed dealer the fix.
Old 02-18-06, 09:51 AM
4thone
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that the temp has droped to -4 with -45 windchill I also have very loud noises coming from the dash.It will be addressed during my 5k along with the rattle in the center dash area.Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-18-06, 10:45 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

10 degrees here in the Cleveland, Ohio area. Still no noise!
Old 02-18-06, 12:52 PM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Guys, this is a REAL problem with the 06 GS. The dealer will tell you that they haven't heard about this issue, yet we're all talking about it.

I have been trying to tackle this issue from the first month I got my car back in October. It definitely gets worse in the colder weather and I had it in with the dealer countless times. They ended up taking down the entire dash, clipping the windshield clips, removing the pins and then using the felt tape everywhere it was cracking and popping. It seems better than originally, but not really right. Then I noticed when the weather started to warm up, it seemed worse than when I bought the car. I think all the tinkering from the dealer made it worse.

I was pretty much fed up until they gave me a new GS as a loaner. New... meaning build this year. Several things I noticed with this car.

• The creaking and popping was pretty much non existent.

• The newer cars are coming with Dunlop tires which result in a much more luxury ride compared to the Yokahomas that were on mine, and definitely a quieter ride from within the cabin. Also the feel in the wheel while driving is just better to me.

• The direct injection noise was audible within my car with the windows up, but not in the newer one.

Long story short... they rolled me out of my car and into a new GS.
Lexus of Orlando bent over backwards trying to make it right. Eventually they did.

I'm very happy now.

Last edited by scottmyers; 02-19-06 at 03:55 AM.
Old 02-19-06, 05:11 PM
4thone
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I am leery about any one messing with the dash but the noise drives me crazy.
Old 02-20-06, 11:17 AM
costanza
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scottmyers

Long story short... they rolled me out of my car and into a new GS.

How much upside down were you in the first GS?
Old 02-20-06, 02:09 PM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Originally Posted by costanza
How much upside down were you in the first GS?
I really don't know, there wasn't any haggeling over the price, since I just picked out the same vehicle with the same options and started a new lease for the same terms. The car was four months old. They had to have eaten a bit of the deprciation to do that.

They just put my car out on the used lot. Out of interest, I will check to see what they are asking for it this week.

Last edited by scottmyers; 02-20-06 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-20-06, 06:33 PM
costanza
Pole Position

Oh...a lease. I think you'd have had a harder time had your tried to swap out your car had your purchased it.