GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

On the DVD/Blluetooth mod...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 10:05 AM
yon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gwmgwm
I sent an email to support@coastaletech.com inquiring about a harness that could be used to basically bypass the speed sensor. Haven't heard back from Dave at Coastal yet.

It would probably help if other people did the same. If Dave doesn't have such a harness yet, he might see that there is a market for one and build it.
Or in the meantime, since his standard product is a harness insert plus some simple electronics, it should be straightforward to apply the bluetooth modification to his insert. That would probably be the best answer, if I had any confidence that he's going to be shipping product anytime soon.

He supposedly also has a version of the nav kit which re-enables bluetooth at speed, which is most likely just the same thing with minor wiring changes that essentally effect the mod. But that product isn't even linked on the web site at the moment.

Sigh. The waiting is killing me...
Old 02-21-06, 08:29 PM
moss
Driver School Candidate

anyone know of any shops in the Charlotte, NC area that can do this mod?
Old 05-31-06, 07:14 PM
Bigmojo
Driver School Candidate

Ok...I have sent 5 emails to these jokers and have yet to get any response. I tried calling and got nothing but ringing.

Can anybody confirm if this will work on an 06 GS with ML+Nav?

Thanks
Old 06-01-06, 04:01 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree w/ you all on the harness vs. the cutting option, but right now unless you know how to make a custom harness yourself, you dont have much choice. i've asked coastal before and no response as well, and this was probably like 6-9 months ago.

i did the nav hack on my RX when the warranty went away. i was too scared to touch it before 50k miles, but once i did, i was thinking to myself, "why didn't you do this earlier"

it seriously is the EASIEST thing ever. i have never cut any electrical wires or opened up a factory system in my life. i inspired my friend with a brand new 400h and he just opened the console and snipped the speed sensing wire to the display and now all the bluetooth functions are enabled. ZERO adverse effects.

of course you have voided your warranty with respect to that particular mod, but remember it is unlawful for the dealers to refuse warranty work unless it relates specifically to that mod. as far as i could tell from the diagrams, the speed sensing wires are separate for the nav vs. the display. the wire you are cutting basically "speaks" to the nav display and tells the display "if moving, gray out the buttons, if not moving, buttons are enabled".
Old 06-02-06, 09:34 AM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexuslover
i agree w/ you all on the harness vs. the cutting option, but right now unless you know how to make a custom harness yourself, you dont have much choice. i've asked coastal before and no response as well, and this was probably like 6-9 months ago.

i did the nav hack on my RX when the warranty went away. i was too scared to touch it before 50k miles, but once i did, i was thinking to myself, "why didn't you do this earlier"

it seriously is the EASIEST thing ever. i have never cut any electrical wires or opened up a factory system in my life. i inspired my friend with a brand new 400h and he just opened the console and snipped the speed sensing wire to the display and now all the bluetooth functions are enabled. ZERO adverse effects.

of course you have voided your warranty with respect to that particular mod, but remember it is unlawful for the dealers to refuse warranty work unless it relates specifically to that mod. as far as i could tell from the diagrams, the speed sensing wires are separate for the nav vs. the display. the wire you are cutting basically "speaks" to the nav display and tells the display "if moving, gray out the buttons, if not moving, buttons are enabled".
if you feel that uneasy about snipping the wire, then you could always put a switch in there that turns the speed sensor on and off. just flip the switch when you want to enter in an address and flip it back when you're done. i guess technically you still have to cut the wire at some point.
Old 06-12-06, 06:01 PM
Bigmojo
Driver School Candidate

Well..I guess I will take one for the team. I orders a bypass kit from costal last thursday. I recieved shipmet notification this morning and should have it by Wednesday. I'll try to get it installed this weekend. and let you now how it goes.
Old 06-21-06, 10:54 AM
Jesse95911
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bigmojo
Well..I guess I will take one for the team. I orders a bypass kit from costal last thursday. I recieved shipmet notification this morning and should have it by Wednesday. I'll try to get it installed this weekend. and let you now how it goes.
Any update for us????
Old 06-21-06, 12:27 PM
Bigmojo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jesse95911
Any update for us????
Ordered it on the 12th. It was delivered today. I will install it this weekend and report back.
Old 06-21-06, 05:55 PM
Bigmojo
Driver School Candidate

So i thought I would give it a try tonight. The instructions are for a prius and note that the Nav system in under the driver seat. Obviously it is not there on the GS...but where is it. I thought someone on this board stated that it was under the passenger seat.

Please don't tell me I have to take the dash apart, as that is what I was trying to avoid.
Old 06-21-06, 06:30 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

So i thought I would give it a try tonight. The instructions are for a prius and note that the Nav system in under the driver seat. Obviously it is not there on the GS...but where is it. I thought someone on this board stated that it was under the passenger seat.

Please don't tell me I have to take the dash apart, as that is what I was trying to avoid.
yes, the nav system is behind the center stack. only way to get to the harnesses.
Old 06-22-06, 07:22 AM
yon
Driver

As noted above, yes, you have to get behind the center stack. Fortunately, it doesn't look all that bad of a job, just more work than an under-the-seat hack. See here for instructions:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=dvd+bypass
Old 07-23-06, 11:35 AM
yon
Driver

Default Well, finally did it

I broke down and bought one of the coastaletech.com "I Agree" kits, and while I was in there I figured I'd do the bluetooth VSS wiring bypass.

The bad news: near as I can tell, the coastaletech.com kit does not plug in behind the nav screen. I checked every connector coming into the monitor unit, and nothing was a match for either of the connectors coming off the coastaletech.com kit.

The good news: the bluetooth mod does work as advertised. I do wish that someone would make a cable insert, as there's very little slack in the harnesses, and working back there with cutters/strippers/crimpers is very tight. Getting the unit out was a trick until I figured out that I needed to wear driving gloves to get enough pressure on the bottom metal brackets for it to pop out.

So at the moment, the car is all buttoned up, but I still have the coastaletech.com kit on the shelf.
Old 07-23-06, 01:12 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

for all of you who are interested, the Vais SLI iPod unit now is equipped with the I AGree bypass, similar to the Coastal unit. the Vais unit allows you to control your iPod with the factory controls and now it also presses I Agree for you after 5 seconds.

i installed one in my GS and the RX as well. the RX is equipped with Gen 3 nav system and right now the I Agree bypass is not compatible with it (but Vais is working on it). But Gen 4 and 5 nav systems do work. in any case, Vais signed up recently as a CL vendor and offered the SLI at $209, which i think is a steal just for the iPod integration, but it's even more of a steal considering the I Agree bypass added recently.

we also did the nav hack while the head unit was out and now all the BT functions work while in motion.
Old 07-24-06, 05:25 AM
yon
Driver

Originally Posted by lexuslover
for all of you who are interested, the Vais SLI iPod unit now is equipped with the I AGree bypass, similar to the Coastal unit. the Vais unit allows you to control your iPod with the factory controls and now it also presses I Agree for you after 5 seconds.
Does it also have the "operate nav in motion" hack that the Coastal unit does? If it did, then I'd be tempted to go that way...