GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Stinky Air/Ventilation in an '06 GS3

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-06, 12:32 AM
Aprazer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stinky Air

Any updates on this? I have the same problem with my car. I had it with my 04 Acura TL. When I fire up the car, the vents will throw out the smell of a dirty locker room....mildew smell. It reeks...bad. My Lexus dealer is 3 hours away. When I switch it to recirculate, the smell goes away.
Old 04-27-06, 12:55 PM
dscodogg69
Driver School Candidate

I also have this problem but never thought into it too much untill I saw this thread. I just assumed one of my drunk friends pee'd themselves or something. My ten thousand mile service is in about 3 weeks so I'll be sure to tell them about it!
Old 04-28-06, 10:13 AM
newyorker
Driver

Default wow~ I have this problem on my GS430

I have GS430 in Korea. it is only 8000km which is about 4500 miles and I have that funcky smell,.... the dealer in korea cleaned EVA-system which foming chemical for 3 times, nothing changes, the smell stays and I am going nuts,

my next schedual for the service, I should tell them about ECU problem...

Here in KOREA, almost every New GS, IS, have this problems......

My 03 GS300 in US did not had this problem but why new ones have this stupid problem.,,,

My 01 nissan pathfinder didn't have this kind of simple problem.....

Any how my new S500 is coming here next month,,,, I am just waiting for that..^^

and Please let us know how to fix this problem.... thanks.
Old 04-28-06, 02:33 PM
Jongrok
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem too...
I guessing smell is from the Evaporator.. inside the dash.. Don't they have any solution to this problem? i starting to get sorry for the people who gets in my car now...
Old 04-28-06, 03:03 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Folks.... there is a solution!

If your problem is NOT mildew, the problem appears to lie within the AC Amplifier. My dealer replaced this part and the smell went away.. Unfortunately, they got in trouble with Lexus corporate for doing it, but my smell is gone.

If you ask your dealer about it, they can do some research and determine if your car needs the updated amplifier. There will likely be no recall, TSB or other official statement from Lexus on this. I cannot/will not divulge my source on this as they have requested anonimity... :-)

Luck to all!

Lx2
Old 04-28-06, 06:51 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got the smell too... I don't think it's mold in AZ... I was begining to think they forgot to put in the filter. I asked the dealer about it @ 5000 serv. He said it's just dampness in the system. I'm almost to 10K, so they'll be working on it again. Glad to hear I'm not the only one and that Lexus knows about it...
Old 04-28-06, 09:35 PM
ajcsanders
Driver

Default Me Too

I have the same problem too, but never really though much of it since most of my previous cars had the same problem…I always assumed it was because of dead bugs trapped in the air intake…

I find the easiest way to ‘duplicate’ the problem is to switch on the seat ventilators, while the AC is off…
Old 04-29-06, 10:23 AM
Enclenta
Rookie

This is normal for a vehicle, due to the chemicals they put in the AC, like the other users said.

If you use the AC a lot, the smell will go away.
Old 04-30-06, 11:01 PM
carminesc
Rookie

my vehicle had the same issue for about the first 4-5 months, but has since dissappeared. very embarassing/annoying when others are in the car, but at least it's gone now. i haven't had a problem for about 10 months now. at least i know what part of the problem was and if it does return i'll have some info to get the dealer to research. thanks op.
Old 05-09-06, 09:45 PM
toyemp
Pole Position

I've had this problem too for the last 6 months or so. I replaced my cabin filter (have had the car over a year now) and the smell went away. I noticed that the replacement filter is of a different make than the original. The original filter appears to have activated charcoal or something embedded between the 2 layers of filter material and is very stiff. The replacement filter does not have the charcoal in between the layers and is pure white in color.

I've been running with the replacement filter for about 2 weeks now and the musky smell has not returned so far. Crossing my fingers...
Old 05-09-06, 10:35 PM
Raptor.1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by toyemp
I've had this problem too for the last 6 months or so. I replaced my cabin filter (have had the car over a year now) and the smell went away. I noticed that the replacement filter is of a different make than the original. The original filter appears to have activated charcoal or something embedded between the 2 layers of filter material and is very stiff. The replacement filter does not have the charcoal in between the layers and is pure white in color.

I've been running with the replacement filter for about 2 weeks now and the musky smell has not returned so far. Crossing my fingers...
I talked to my contact at Lexus about this and he told me they are aware of this issue and he mentioned two things. Next time i bring my car in they will deodorize the system compressor and replace the cabin filter as you mentioned. He told me until I bring it in that one way to alleviate the smell is to turn on the fresh air mode manually one mile before i get to my destination and that will help. The smell doesn't bother me too much since it smells like a new mold. lol
Old 05-10-06, 01:44 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by newyorker
My 03 GS300 in US did not had this problem but why new ones have this stupid problem.,,,
My '99 GS300 had the same AC problem.
Old 05-11-06, 12:01 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
My '99 GS300 had the same AC problem.
that's strange - i had a 98 GS400 and an 01 GS430, neither of them exhibited the same stink. the new 06 stink is really embarrassing, it almost smells like rotten feet. i don't understand why and how this is happening since it hasn't happened in any other lexus i've had. i just hope that changing the cabin and a/c filters at 15k service will resolve it.
Old 05-11-06, 12:31 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexuslover
that's strange - i had a 98 GS400 and an 01 GS430, neither of them exhibited the same stink. the new 06 stink is really embarrassing, it almost smells like rotten feet. i don't understand why and how this is happening since it hasn't happened in any other lexus i've had. i just hope that changing the cabin and a/c filters at 15k service will resolve it.
Yeah, it seemed that every 10k mile service required my dealer to spray various chemicals into the vents. My current GS hasn't been too bad yet.
Old 05-11-06, 08:43 PM
kingpinOLD
Driver School Candidate

Default Foul smell from exhuast

I had foul smelling air coming from the exhaust on the first day of driving the car. After the first day it was ok.

Quick Reply: Stinky Air/Ventilation in an '06 GS3