GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS460 no go, engine doesn't fit...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 11:57 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Audi could stuff the 4.2L V8 into the S4's engine compartment, I'm sure Lexus can figure out how to make the 4.6L V8 fit in the GS's engine compartment, even if it requires slight reconfiguration from the LS460. It's not like 0.3L of added displacement is THAT big a change, especially considering that Benz uses a 5.0L V8 and can fit a 5.5L V8 in the E-Class, and that BMW fits a 4.8L V8 in the 5-Series.
Old 03-01-06, 12:44 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most car sales men are morons. When i look at cars at the dealership, I know more about the car then they do. Don't listen to him about the engine not fitting cause lexus will make it work. I've said it once and I'll say it again, expect the gs460 to be out late this year.
Old 03-01-06, 01:03 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Lexus, please bring us the GS 460. It should have at least 380+hp. That's gonna be awesome.

What about the SC 460? Is the 4.6 liter engine too big for the SC's engine compartment?
Old 03-01-06, 01:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
I think it may confuse people to have a GS350, GS450h and a GS460, espcially if the GS460 costs less and is more powerful.

The comment about the acura not having a V8 is inaccurate. Acura gets flack because their cars do not have any torque, are mostly FWD, and they are not as refined.

Moving from a V8 to a V6 hybrid is a smart move. A V8 is not as much a sign of luxury as it is a sign of excess. V8s have a stigma of wasting gas, and its old tech. Plus the world is a lot more consience about fuel consumption, just ask GM and ford.

A powerful V6 hybrid is where its at, a sign of technology advancements, fuel efficiency and it is pretty powerful as well. Toyota is working very hard to have people equate toyota and hybrids/ fuel effeciency.

I wouldnt doubt that they phase out the 460 from the GS.
hardly. i am not saying v6 has no gnd, in fact i think v6 is going to bring a lot more revenue to all manufacturers. however v8 has its status, and it's in all luxury high end cars, and it's NEEDED.

acura needs rwd, AND it needs v8. having that rl with v6 in it is not going to make it fly with any of the true luxury flagship (ls, s, 7, a8, etc...) it's not part of teh arguement here, and i won't go deep in it. but that's the bottom line.

and v8 doesn't necessarily means more gas. although in most cases that might be true, but look at the ls460, it will have mid 20s gas mileage, that's actually on par with some of the 6 bangers. and the old is300 with the i6? it has the SAME gas consumption as my gs400 and sc430 for what it's worth.

go out and do a survey or poll and see what people (with money, those who can afford high end cars) think about what a luxury car is. having a big engine is clearly one of them, that's why all the high end cars are with big engines.

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
They ' ve already trademarked the GS460 in many countries . . .

Plus I don't think a big enough % of the public want hybrids yet, especially a performance hybrid . . . many still leery of them. So the GS460 in the line-up is still very much needed.
and andrew bings out a good point too. hybrid is great stuff, it's going to advance, and in no way i am saying they won't make it a trend. but at this point? very very steep uphill, i don't think lexus can pull it off, yet, especially the gs450h is the FIRST hybrid luxury sport sedan?

Originally Posted by SCWells72
If Audi could stuff the 4.2L V8 into the S4's engine compartment, I'm sure Lexus can figure out how to make the 4.6L V8 fit in the GS's engine compartment, even if it requires slight reconfiguration from the LS460. It's not like 0.3L of added displacement is THAT big a change, especially considering that Benz uses a 5.0L V8 and can fit a 5.5L V8 in the E-Class, and that BMW fits a 4.8L V8 in the 5-Series.
let's not forget that brabus was able to stick that v12 engine into the e class as well, which was only designed to fit a v8 to begin with. seriously, from 4.3 to 4.6 isn't really that big of a difference. yes, it's probably (most likely) a totally new engine, but the fundamentals are the same. it's not even like i6 and v6 (both 6 cylinders) where fundamentally it's very different to begin with already. at the very most i think it would be hood clearance, which is what the is430 faced too.
Old 03-01-06, 01:23 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
I think it may confuse people to have a GS350, GS450h and a GS460, espcially if the GS460 costs less and is more powerful.

The comment about the acura not having a V8 is inaccurate. Acura gets flack because their cars do not have any torque, are mostly FWD, and they are not as refined.

Moving from a V8 to a V6 hybrid is a smart move. A V8 is not as much a sign of luxury as it is a sign of excess. V8s have a stigma of wasting gas, and its old tech. Plus the world is a lot more consience about fuel consumption, just ask GM and ford.

A powerful V6 hybrid is where its at, a sign of technology advancements, fuel efficiency and it is pretty powerful as well. Toyota is working very hard to have people equate toyota and hybrids/ fuel effeciency.

I wouldnt doubt that they phase out the 460 from the GS.
I think the question is well taken from a performance point of view. Confusing the customer has never seemed to be a problem, look at the variety of engines bimmer offers. I could buy that there may not be much performance difference, although I would like to wait and see that, if the 460 has a bit more real hp than the hybrid and loses a couple hundred pounds of batteries then it is headed to low 5 sec 0-60 if not sub 5 and the bimmer 5 series suddenly looks barely competitive. But lets go by the numbers:

1. It looks like the GS model lineup could be a V6, a V6 hybrid, and a V8. That doesn't look too cumbersome or confusing to us poor old consumers.

2. There could very well be delivery issues with the hybrid. I do not know what Lexus capacity is but hybrid deliver might be an issue and lost sales are, well, lost sales.

3. Actually the biggest reason you could think of would be why not? I do not believe there will be much of any engineering difficulty in putting the 4.6 in the GS so whatever costs you might encounter could permit quick payback even with limited volume. If the GS doesn't get the 4.6, you will be left with the LS and the SC, for as long as it lasts. I don't think Toyota likes to have a motor for basically one model.

It is interesting to me that we have been screaming for Lexus to seriously go after the performance market and when an opportunity arises for them to very, very easily give the GS the power it should have had from the start, we are trying to find reasons for them not to do it. Time and time again, salesman have said that the GS is their performance sedan. OK, the IS also exists now but there is definitely room for the GS to have three versions with a big ol V8 at the top. Like I said, in the final analysis, the costs required to make the GS460 seem small and it wouldn't need a lot of sales to recoup them.

And there might be some people out there that will go for the lighter weight and stronger performance, not to mention easier modability. And before we get all convinced that of course we know Lexus business better than they do, it is worth keeping in mind that hybrid technology is still somewhat of an unknown. Please take any hybrid uber alles emotions somewhere else, I have already seen them. But there are not an insignificant number of articles on the poor payback of hybrid costs in increased mileage. Lexus may just want to cover their bets. After all, if the top GS is a hybrid and there are troubles with that technology in that model, they could really be hurt. I guess we don't have long to wait and find out, one way or the other. Like I said, I can see both sides of the argument.
Old 03-01-06, 01:25 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyway, if there isn't a GS460, lexus won't see me putting any deposit soon.
Old 03-01-06, 01:45 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

i guess everyone made the last board meeting
Old 03-01-06, 02:48 PM
thenod
Driver

Am I missing something or is it definite that the GS won't one day have a V8 hybrid. I know for a fact that the new LS will have a V8 hybrid. Why not use the same motor for the GS? By the way, I checked out the new LS LWB up close and personal and.....WHAT A CAR!!!!!
Old 03-01-06, 04:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

V8 hybrid? yes, you are missing something. With GS450h doing 0-60 in 5.2 secs, I can tell you right now that they will not offer V8 hybrid.
Old 03-01-06, 04:32 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

salesmen are sometimes funny. haha
Old 03-01-06, 04:48 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

hm...I wonder if the GS460 will cost more than the GS450h...and also if the fuel consumption will be good for a V8...heh...oh well...I don't mind hybrids since I have a prius...so I guess I'll stick to the GS450h I ordered...
Old 03-01-06, 05:04 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

They ' ve already trademarked the GS460 in many countries . . .

Plus I don't think a big enough % of the public want hybrids yet, especially a performance hybrid . . . many still leery of them. So the GS460 in the line-up is still very much needed.
I agree with you, 100%. I think that the GS 450h should stand as a niche/halo car for the GS line, not their answer to the 550i and E550. Some people want the hybrid tech and stigma that's attatched, and some people don't, they want raw V-8 petal to the metal PETROL GO. I don't think the GS 450h and the GS 460 will attract the same sort off buyer, despite their performance numbers and prices.
Old 03-01-06, 05:11 PM
knolex2001
Driver

There are too many clueless salesmen that I' ve seen to give this much credence . . .
Amen. Sad to say.
Old 03-01-06, 05:54 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Salesmen will vary on their product knowledge..

but don't hold your breath for the GS460 as it might take a while. Have a Snickers or something to snack on. The GS450h isn't a tree hugger car it's a gas/electric muscle car that uses less gas. The GS450h sends a message to the old country like keep making those diesels, Dieter. We are going to use magnets not turbochargers now....

Rock
Old 03-01-06, 06:35 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rockville
but don't hold your breath for the GS460 as it might take a while. Have a Snickers or something to snack on. The GS450h isn't a tree hugger car it's a gas/electric muscle car that uses less gas. The GS450h sends a message to the old country like keep making those diesels, Dieter. We are going to use magnets not turbochargers now....

Rock
You may be right and there are parts of your post that I agree with, however, there are still people who will not buy hybrid over gas, I'm one of them and I know several more. Right now hybrid technology looks great but it's unproven for long term durability and reliability, gas powered motors are more reassuring. The GS 450h is a great alternative for the people who want to try something new, but Lexus needs to keep a V8 powered car to woo those who want conventional V8 power because they will simply go elsewhere if Lexus does not provide..

Quick Reply: GS460 no go, engine doesn't fit...