GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Door Rattle - SGT

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-06, 07:11 PM
drck1000
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Rattle - SGT

SGT -

The service consultant just called and said that my car is ready to be picked up. They said that they addressed the rattles in the front passenger and driver doors by adding foam insulation and taping wiring down better. I will post the explainations provided by the technician when I get back in the office tomorrow morning. The ride home this afternoon should provide at least some feedback on whether or not they took care of the problem.

Will post an update tomorrow.
Old 03-07-06, 09:17 AM
drck1000
Driver

SGT -

Picked up the car yesterday afternoon and on the drive home I could still hear the rattle sound and the softer tapping sort of noise that almost sounds like morse code when you drive on rougher pavement. I took my dad out for a drive later that night and he seemed to think that the marble sound was coming from the dash area and not the front door. From the driver's seat, it sounds like it's coming from the passenger door, but who knows. I have to take the car back in a few weeks to get the rotors replaced, so I will ask them to address it then. The softer tapping noises typically can't be heard very much with the audio on at a "normal" volume. However, in any case, I can still hear it. I am hopeful about resolving the marble sounding rattle as it is very easy to reproduce the sound.

The noise in the passenger door seems to be coming from right next to my left shoulder as I drive. If I press on the black trim panel above the armrest panel, the noise stops. If I press on the armrest panel, I can make the joint between the trim panel and the armrest panel creak. I tried wedging in a piece of paper in that gap this morning to see it if helped and it didn't seem to have any effect.

I hope they resolve your rattles at your 5K service.

Here's what appears on the service invoice:

E rattle noise hear from L&R of veh while driving
Cause: Excessive play in both door trim panels
Insulated both trim panel/wire harness in back of trim panel

I
Old 03-07-06, 09:31 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't catch this thread until now. Thanks for posting your findings. Do you have the ML speaker system? If so, this may be the source of the rattle:

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Lexus/112...U001-05/1.html

Sorry to hear that they didn't fix all the rattles the first time around. I will let you know what happens after my 5k service.
Attached Thumbnails Door Rattle - SGT-rattle.jpg  
Old 03-07-06, 09:49 AM
njgs
Driver School Candidate

I just brought my car in for service today as I had a rattle problem also. They told me that the cause of the rattle was that there was an impropper fit on the windshield. They ordered a new windshield and they are going to replace it. I will let you know after the replacement if it solved the rattle problem.
Old 03-07-06, 09:51 AM
drck1000
Driver

Yep, I have ML audio in my car. I did see this TSB posted in another thread and it appears that my car is about 21000 after the production change effective VIN. Actually, I think it was you who posted it.

I will present this to the service tech when I take my car back in to get the rotors replaced. Until then, I will just try to turn up the audio a little bit louder and try to ignore it. I just hope they don't need to pull the dash to resolve this. Don't need them causing more rattles.
Old 03-07-06, 10:08 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by drck1000
Yep, I have ML audio in my car. I did see this TSB posted in another thread and it appears that my car is about 21000 after the production change effective VIN. Actually, I think it was you who posted it.

I will present this to the service tech when I take my car back in to get the rotors replaced. Until then, I will just try to turn up the audio a little bit louder and try to ignore it. I just hope they don't need to pull the dash to resolve this. Don't need them causing more rattles.
You're correct, 'twas I that posted it. I wouldn't want them taking apart the dash either unless they were certain that they could fix all the rattles and not have any new ones appearing.
Old 03-09-06, 03:28 AM
zlee1
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much!!!
This rattle is driving me nuts. I was able to isolate a rattle to the drivers side speaker. However, I am quite sure that I also have a rattle (worse) coming from the area of the Nav screen. Anyone have this too?
Old 03-11-06, 07:10 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

drck1000, the dealer said I would have to bring the car back another time for them to be able to fully test the car for the rattle. They drove it around for a bit today and were not able to hear it. I will drop the car off in a few weeks and they'll provide me with a loaner, so I'll let you know how that goes.
Old 03-12-06, 02:24 AM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by SGT
drck1000, the dealer said I would have to bring the car back another time for them to be able to fully test the car for the rattle. They drove it around for a bit today and were not able to hear it. I will drop the car off in a few weeks and they'll provide me with a loaner, so I'll let you know how that goes.
I had a similar problem with my 06 GS300 when I first got it. The problem went away when
I reduced my over inflated tire pressure from 42 psi to 38 psi.

JM
Old 03-12-06, 03:29 PM
MnAwD06
Driver School Candidate

Default rattle

I have had a ton of problems with my car making rattles. So far they have ficed a rattle under the wipers there is a piece of plastic that makes a bnch of noise. There is also a dash pin in the dash that makes a bunch of noise. I have had both replaced and it has made a big difference however I still have some problems with rattles. If you ask your service techs about these problems there are bulletins on these problems.
Old 03-13-06, 09:21 AM
drck1000
Driver

Originally Posted by SGT
Sounds like your service went well otherwise. I still hear a rattle (or other noise) coming from the right passenger door/glove compartment area and a softer one right where my left shoulder is on the driver's door. Those two seem to come and go, so I hope that I can reproduce the sound when I take the tech for a test ride. I have to take the car back in in the next couple of weeks to replace the rotors when they arrive, so I can have them take a look then. These rattles are softer and I don't really notice them when the audio is at a medium level, but I still can hear them. But if they say that they have to take the dash out to figure it out, I'll probably just live with it.

As for the marble sounding rattle, that has seemed to have gone away. Sometimes my sunglasses rattles in the compartment near the sunroof controls. But other than that, the marble rattle is gone now. Dunno?

Yeah, do let us know what the dealer finds when you take it back for the rattles. Hope that they can resolve it.
Old 03-20-06, 04:48 PM
drck1000
Driver

SGT - Were you able to have the dealer correct the rattle the second time around? Just checking as you hadn't posted either way. Let me know if they resolved it and what the source was.

As for me, it looks like my replacement brakes have arrived that I have an appointment with a service loaner in three weeks. The loaners are usually in very high demand and usually scheduled almost a month out. It's not a major issue, so I figure that's soon enough. They didn't correct the rattle the last time and I will be taking a tech on a test drive to point out. The one on the driver's door sounds like rubbing in the joint between the black top vinyl panel and the armrest panel. I can't seem to pinpoint the one in the passenger door though maybei it's coming from the glove compartment.
Old 03-20-06, 07:43 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by drck1000
SGT - Were you able to have the dealer correct the rattle the second time around? Just checking as you hadn't posted either way. Let me know if they resolved it and what the source was.

As for me, it looks like my replacement brakes have arrived that I have an appointment with a service loaner in three weeks. The loaners are usually in very high demand and usually scheduled almost a month out. It's not a major issue, so I figure that's soon enough. They didn't correct the rattle the last time and I will be taking a tech on a test drive to point out. The one on the driver's door sounds like rubbing in the joint between the black top vinyl panel and the armrest panel. I can't seem to pinpoint the one in the passenger door though maybei it's coming from the glove compartment.
drck1000, I was supposed to bring the car into the dealer this Wednesday, but since I haven't heard the squeaking or rattling recently, I decided to cancel the appointment. I believe the windshield noise only occurs when the weather is below 30F. Since winter is pretty much over, I think I can wait until the noises resurface again before dealing with it. As for the door rattle, I haven't heard much of that either. If it becomes a nuisance, I will bring it into the dealer. I'm still interested to see how they will fix the problem in your car. Let me know how it goes.
Old 03-21-06, 11:14 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

I get the same stuff too. I had the door rattle one time driving home from work and I had the dashboard/windshield rattler driving from one place to another. They're both intermittent.
Old 03-21-06, 05:10 PM
drck1000
Driver

Originally Posted by SGT
drck1000, I was supposed to bring the car into the dealer this Wednesday, but since I haven't heard the squeaking or rattling recently, I decided to cancel the appointment. I believe the windshield noise only occurs when the weather is below 30F. Since winter is pretty much over, I think I can wait until the noises resurface again before dealing with it. As for the door rattle, I haven't heard much of that either. If it becomes a nuisance, I will bring it into the dealer. I'm still interested to see how they will fix the problem in your car. Let me know how it goes.
Yeah. I'll be sure to report back after I take the car in to replace the rotors. I hope they have a nice service loaner waiting for me.

Quick Reply: Door Rattle - SGT