GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Front right fender gap is larger than the front left fender gap

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-06, 05:06 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front right fender gap is larger than the front left fender gap

It's always been this way ever since I took delivery of the car back in October, but it's bothering me so I'm wondering if it's the same for anyone else. I can fit my fist upright snugly in the left fender gap but there's about a .25" gap when I do the same thing in the right fender gap. I'll be mentioning this to the dealer when I bring it in for the 5k service this Saturday, along with a few rattles I have.

Last edited by SGT; 03-09-06 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-09-06, 06:23 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SGT
It's always been this way ever since I took delivery of the car back in October, but it's bothering me so I'm wondering if it's the same for anyone else. I can fit my fist upright snugly in the left fender gap but there's about a .5" - .75" gap when I do the same thing in the right fender gap. I'll be mentioning this to the dealer when I bring it in for the 5k service this Saturday, along with a few rattles I have.
How much do you weigh and do you usually drive the car by yourself. Typically, over time if you drive solo and weigh a lot than your car will sit lower on one side. However, .5"-.75" is kind of high. Are you sure you're doing it on a flat level surface?
Old 03-09-06, 06:48 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I know for the 2gen GS, the driver's side is lower than the passenger side...........This difference becomes even more noticeable if u lower the car. For example, my car is lowered but i have 2 finger gap on drivers side and 2.5 on passenger side...........Im guessing it will be the same on the 3rd gen GS. Maybe the steering wheel/rack is the reason for this
Old 03-09-06, 07:46 PM
thenod
Driver

Take it back to the dealer and politely complain. Lexus is #1 in Customer Satisfaction. Unless you bought that car at invoice, which I doubt, they should fix it or give you a legitimate reason why it's like that. I've owned 2 Lexus' and a NM Edition Hybrid on the way. My dealer will certainly find a way to make sure I leave them happy. I hope yours does too!
Old 03-09-06, 08:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

The ride height is uneven on my 2004 IS300. This is just a characteristic all Toyotas and Lexus have stock form or modded form w/a regular spring/shock combo. My car has more of a gap on the left front wheel well than it does on the right. Coilovers obviously fixed my problem.
Old 03-09-06, 08:23 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Correction, it's about a .25" gap. I just went out and tested it again on flat ground. I can fit a finger (plus fist) in between the right fender gap, whereas only my fist will fit in the left fender gap. I weigh 180lbs and I usually drive alone. Keep in mind that it was always this way, or at least I think it was.
Old 03-09-06, 08:32 PM
kb2yza
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The right is likely slightly higher than the left to compensate for the crown of the roadway and maintain a level ride on roads; instead of constantly relying on the suspenssion to do the work. Only logical answer I can come up with.

--Pete
Old 03-10-06, 09:18 AM
drck1000
Driver

This thread got me curious, so I checked the gaps when I got into the office this morning (my office parking stall is fairly level. I noticed that the gap in the right front fender is about 1/4" more than on the left front. What kb2yza mentioned does makes sense. I did notice this in my old 4Runner. The right was about 3/8" lower than the left and it was like that since I got it. I am about 200 lbs, so I would hope that my weight didn't cause that . At first I thought that it was maybe due to the weight of the fuel tank being on the left side. But the gap was there even when I went to fill gas.
Old 03-10-06, 11:23 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thenod
Unless you bought that car at invoice, which I doubt, they should fix it or give you a legitimate reason why it's like that.
Why would buying the car at invoice make a difference in the level or type of service the dealership provides? If a problem is covered by the warranty that's all that matters, right?

Congratulations on snagging an NM Edition GS Hybrid!
Old 03-11-06, 07:06 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

5k service was quick. Got my car back within an hour and they measured both fender gaps and said they are equal. I went outside and tested it with my fist again and surprisingly they do seem like they are even now. They said nothing was done, so I'm not sure what happened. I'm not complaining.