GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tire rotation method

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-06, 07:28 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire rotation method

What's the correct procedure when rotating tires? The manual mentions that the rear tires should be moved straight to the front while the front tires should be moved to the back diagonally. However, when I was watching the service guy at the dealer do it today for my 5k service, he just moved the rear tires straight to the front and the front tires straight to the back (not diagonally as per the manual). Does this matter? Should I bring it to their attention?
Attached Thumbnails Tire rotation method-rotation.jpg  
Old 03-11-06, 07:43 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As documented in the manual is the correct method. Front crossed to the rear, rear straight up to front. Lugs torqued to 76 Ft LBs.
Does it matter, yes it does if you want maximum milage out of the tire set.
The service guy is betting you don't have the time to return it to have it corrected, meaning reversing the two rear tires. You're not a AWD or Four wheel drive..
Old 03-11-06, 10:16 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tammy
You're not a AWD or Four wheel drive..
Well I have the GS300 AWD, so would that make a difference?
Old 03-11-06, 10:37 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don’t know what kind of tires Lexus is putting on the GS now, but tire rotation is based on the type of tires you have. The above diagram would be correct for non directional tires. However, if you have directional tires, then rotation is left front to left back and right front to right back. Now for me, I don’t worry about rotation since I have a staggered setup with directional tires although technically I could rotate them but it would involve removing the tires from the rims and flipping them.
Old 03-11-06, 01:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rheiy
I don’t know what kind of tires Lexus is putting on the GS now, but tire rotation is based on the type of tires you have. The above diagram would be correct for non directional tires. However, if you have directional tires, then rotation is left front to left back and right front to right back. Now for me, I don’t worry about rotation since I have a staggered setup with directional tires although technically I could rotate them but it would involve removing the tires from the rims and flipping them.
yeah that's what i was thinking. do you have directional tires? i thought most gs come with directional tires rather than non-directional or assymetric. is it's directional, then you can only do front and back, you can't cross swap
Old 03-11-06, 03:40 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah that's what i was thinking. do you have directional tires? i thought most gs come with directional tires rather than non-directional or assymetric. is it's directional, then you can only do front and back, you can't cross swap
I changed from the stock tires to the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S tires. I'm not sure if they're directional or not. Anyone know?
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-06, 06:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ero+Nero+M%26S

it's asymmetric design. that means you can put it left and right no problem. in that case i think he should have cross swapped.

now i wonder if the stock tires are directional? if so, maybe he thought you still have stock tires?
Old 03-13-06, 07:54 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ero+Nero+M%26S

it's asymmetric design. that means you can put it left and right no problem. in that case i think he should have cross swapped.

now i wonder if the stock tires are directional? if so, maybe he thought you still have stock tires?
Thanks, when I bring in my car next week for the rattles, I will have them rotate just the rear tires.
Old 03-25-06, 03:19 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

So I called them up today and mentioned what happened when the rotated my tires last time and they said they always rotate from front to back and back to front without crossing. I did a bit of googling and found this article on Edmunds:

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/tir...5/article.html

Here's a snippet:

Rotating generally does not refer to either of the following actions:

Exchanging tires on the same axle -- for example, swapping the rear tires left to right
Criss-crossing tires -- moving a tire from the passenger's side rear to the driver's side front

There's a good reason for this. Tires develop wear patterns as they age. Some of these patterns are tied to the suspension system and the alignment. That's why we keep the tires on the same side of the car.

I've decided to just leave it alone.