GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

OFFICIAL 2008 GS 460 Thread! (new info 342hp?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-06, 10:27 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
According to the Japanese Lexus website, the GS350 is only 40 kg.(~88 lb.) heavier than the IS350.
Yes, and also listed there are their gas mileage in combined cycles. Guess what, they're identical at 10.0 km/L, or 23.52mpg.

Perhaps the softer tuning of the GS350 with the 3hp/3tq loss really does do the magic of countering the 88lbs weight gain. Very little compromise I'd say.
Old 08-24-06, 01:55 PM
Faheta
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone knows if the GS350 will come with a button to defeat VSC like the one in the LS460?
Old 08-25-06, 06:54 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The GS350 will have the VSC cutoff switch...

Originally Posted by Faheta
Anyone knows if the GS350 will come with a button to defeat VSC like the one in the LS460?
and the GS430 will have the VDIM cutoff Switch. IS series gets the same. I l try to educate the owners that VDIM is a huge advantage no matter what the magazine hacks say. If you want to turn it off do so where you can have room to spin because you will. VSC is a more rudimentary system and will engage once traction is compromised. I will be relieved the day that all cars have VDIM.
Old 08-25-06, 08:08 AM
Faheta
Driver

I agree that VSC and variants are a life saver. The thing is there are many kinds of drivers out there and Lexus should cater to them if cost isn't prohibitively high

I've always argued that VSC & VDIM are electronic driven components and it's cheap to add a cutoff button.

And how expensive is it to add a German-like sports package (e.g. slightly firmer suspension, slightly lower ride height, and wide tires)? This will trade off some ride quality for "drive" quality. But hey, there are many folks out there who are willing to make this tradeoff. It's encouraging to see Lexus attempted this with the IS250 & IS350, but they need to do the same for the GS & the new 380 hp LS460. One thing many folks don't realize about the sports set up is how secure it feels when you drive. I agree with articles out there that say a BMW encourages you to take a corner whereas a Lexus tells you to be careful going around a corner.
Old 08-25-06, 09:11 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faheta
I agree that VSC and variants are a life saver. The thing is there are many kinds of drivers out there and Lexus should cater to them if cost isn't prohibitively high

I've always argued that VSC & VDIM are electronic driven components and it's cheap to add a cutoff button.

And how expensive is it to add a German-like sports package (e.g. slightly firmer suspension, slightly lower ride height, and wide tires)? This will trade off some ride quality for "drive" quality. But hey, there are many folks out there who are willing to make this tradeoff. It's encouraging to see Lexus attempted this with the IS250 & IS350, but they need to do the same for the GS & the new 380 hp LS460. One thing many folks don't realize about the sports set up is how secure it feels when you drive. I agree with articles out there that say a BMW encourages you to take a corner whereas a Lexus tells you to be careful going around a corner.
Lexus does have a Touring Package for the LS460L that includes:
- Sport-tuned air suspension
- 19” five-spoke wheels with 245/45YR summer tires
- Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS)
- High-friction brake pads with larger high-performance rotors

Alas, I don't understand why Lexus wouldn't make it available to the LS460, which with a shorter wheelbase should benefit more from a sport setup than the LS460L.

Please refer to the official press kit thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=233084

Now if only Lexus can do the same for the GS.
Old 08-25-06, 09:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
and the GS430 will have the VDIM cutoff Switch. IS series gets the same. I l try to educate the owners that VDIM is a huge advantage no matter what the magazine hacks say. If you want to turn it off do so where you can have room to spin because you will. VSC is a more rudimentary system and will engage once traction is compromised. I will be relieved the day that all cars have VDIM.
i think that's good to know that they have that option, though i agree you should always have it on unless you know what you are doing.
Old 08-25-06, 01:12 PM
*wishlist*
Driver

that's what i thought as well but on lexus.com under trans. and drivetrain, it shows the gs350rwd has vsc with cutoff.

Originally Posted by Rockville
Old 08-25-06, 09:40 PM
LRubio
Driver School Candidate

Lexus of Riverside in CA has two new 350's. I drove one yesterday. Slow initial throttle response but moves PDQ after micro delay. The new Nav interface and bluthtooth is great. Shark fin in the back, 18" wheels and everything else is pretty much the same. The value of my 2006 GS300 was too low for a fair trade in so no 350 for me. Ironic it is the new 350 that caused the value of the 300 to drop. Thanks a lot Lexus!
Old 08-26-06, 01:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LRubio
Lexus of Riverside in CA has two new 350's. I drove one yesterday. Slow initial throttle response but moves PDQ after micro delay. The new Nav interface and bluthtooth is great. Shark fin in the back, 18" wheels and everything else is pretty much the same. The value of my 2006 GS300 was too low for a fair trade in so no 350 for me. Ironic it is the new 350 that caused the value of the 300 to drop. Thanks a lot Lexus!
lol, you had the chance to wait
Old 08-26-06, 12:07 PM
RandalR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LRubio
I just test drove an Obsidian/Gray GS350 RWD at Lexus of Concord (CA). Awesome, awesome car! Acceleration is fantastic, new Nav is unreal. I'm holding out for an Obsidian/Black or a Mercury Metallic/Black so I'll have to wait a couple of weeks until they get one in, but buying this car is a no-brainer. I can't wait!

The dealer dropped a couple of interesting factoids: 1) That Lexus isn't releasing the AWD version anywhere in California yet - they are all going back East. For now it's RWD-only. 2) That the GS460 will probably be a 2008-only car, because the new GS500 will be out shortly after that, along with the IS500. The GS350 will be around for a while, so the GS500/GS350 will become the standard V8/V6 lineup.

Last edited by RandalR; 08-26-06 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-26-06, 12:09 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RandalR
I just test drove an Obsidian/Gray GS350 AWD at Lexus of Concord (CA). Awesome, awesome car! Acceleration is fantastic, new Nav is unreal. I'm holding out for an Obsidian/Black or a Mercury Metallic/Black so I'll have to wait a couple of weeks until they get one in, but buying this car is a no-brainer. I can't wait!

The dealer dropped a couple of interesting factoids: 1) That Lexus isn't releasing the AWD version anywhere in California yet - they are all going back East. For now it's RWD-only. 2) That the GS460 will probably be a 2008-only car, because the new GS500 will be out shortly after that, along with the IS500. The GS350 will be around for a while, so the GS500/GS350 will become the standard V8/V6 lineup.
Hmm, that seems a bit suspect. Will the 500 drop into the LS as well?
Old 08-26-06, 12:17 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RandalR
Although it sure sounds awesome to see an IS/GS/LS500 of course, it simply doesn't make any sense that they'll make their all-new 4.6L V8 such a short-lived engine. I think the guy you talked to was just saying things out of his own predictions.
Old 08-26-06, 03:13 PM
Faheta
Driver

I think likely the 5.0 liter V8 will go into the LS as well. We know the LS600h is based on the 5.0 liter which is coming out in about 1 year time-frame.
This will address somewhat the "low-end" torque issue when compare against the BMW 4.8 liter and the Mercedes 5.5 liter.
Old 08-26-06, 06:55 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

seems very aggressive that lexus will offer two v8's in the GS line up...unless the GS500 is going to be a sort of AMG/M Series competitor...well if they do come out whit that car...it will be very crazy...lol...so 2008 for the GS460...still a year and half away till we see it...i hope...
Old 08-26-06, 09:16 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Just drove a GS 350 RWD!!!!

It feels faster than my GS400 (of course). It doesn't have the head snapping torque of the V8, but it's faster. I personally think it is as fast as an IS 350. It might be a bit slower on the track, but it feels every bit as strong and fast. Lexus says the GS 350 should run 0-60 in 5.7 secs. If the IS runs 5.1 secs, then the GS 350 should be close behind. 5.7 is a conservative estimate. The difference in power between the IS and GS isn't humanly detectable in real world driving, IMO.

Just my opinion after driving it.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL 2008 GS 460 Thread! (new info 342hp?)