GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

OFFICIAL 2008 GS 460 Thread! (new info 342hp?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-07, 02:31 PM
bloozeman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There probably will be both a GS460 and GS-F. They probably just delayed the 460 because they might want some ammo to fight when the infinity M comes out..Its due for a refresh/redesign right?

I think, if they produce a GS-F, it will sport the engine that the LF-A carries (or is supposedly going to carry...God I hope they don't switch it to the V8),
the ~4.8 V10, 500+ hp
The only confirmed F model at this point is the recently announced IS-F for 2008 that was unveiled at a couple of recent auto shows, is on Lexus' website, and Car & Driver has a small article about it in this month's mag.. According to Car & Driver the LF-A "super car" continues to make its way to production from its current concept status. It is indeed a V-10 and is a 2 seater. Thus, if Lexus is going to compete in the AMG E63 and M5 category they will need to release a 500 HP 4-door sedan of some sort. I personally am hoping it is a GS-F, but so far there is zero "real" indication they intend to do so.

Oh, the IS-F has been confirmed as a 5.0L version of the 4.6L with larger bore and rated at 400HP. It will have the same 8-speed transmission that just debuted in the LS460.

-Ray

Last edited by bloozeman; 02-17-07 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-18-07, 02:38 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

anybody know if the MPG for city and highway for the GS460 will be like the LS460? I hear from some of the posters that the GS460 will have more HP than the LS460? Is that right? Just wondering...heh
Old 02-18-07, 09:28 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
anybody know if the MPG for city and highway for the GS460 will be like the LS460? I hear from some of the posters that the GS460 will have more HP than the LS460? Is that right? Just wondering...heh
Not sure yet, but many speculated that the GS460 will have a little higher hp based on the fact that they gave the GS430 slightly higher hp than the LS430 in the past . . .
Old 02-18-07, 12:06 PM
snackyx
Driver School Candidate

Any chance the GS460 will be available in AWD?
Old 02-18-07, 06:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
It probably will be a MPG higher b/c its a lighter car.

Old 02-27-07, 12:21 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Latest rumour on the "GS-F" ... Road & Track's March issue claims that the GS-F *may* use a V10 engine based on the LF-A's V10. This would make it a direct M5 competitor. It would also seem logical that it doesn't share the same engine as the IS-F. R & T said that the rumoured GS-F would have a 4.8L V10, while the production LF-A would have a bored-out 5.0L+ V10.

If this is indeed true, makes you wonder if the 3GS chassis can handle a V10 with 400HP+, or would there need to be some substantial chassis enhancements.
Old 02-27-07, 02:18 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Doesnt it make more sense that the lightweight LF-A be a high revving 4.8 with the heavier GS getting a slightly longer stroke 5.0 ?
Old 02-27-07, 05:20 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Doesnt it make more sense that the lightweight LF-A be a high revving 4.8 with the heavier GS getting a slightly longer stroke 5.0 ?
+1. Was thinknig the same thing. At this point, its all speculation anyway. Hell, it might not even come until the next generation GS.
Old 02-28-07, 02:46 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
The engine is only a small fraction of the overall weight of a vehicle. The difference between a 4.8L or 5.0L V10 weight-wise for example, would be very minimal.

Also keep in mind the LF-A is highly rumoured to have many exotic materials making up it's construction. The revised LF-A concept has carbon-ceramic brakes, and there is a rumour that for the production car, then entire body will be carbon fiber.

Even if the rumoured GS-F uses a V10 based on the LF-A, The LF-A's V10 may be further differentiated with some exclusive parts/technology.
Old 04-11-07, 11:14 PM
lexi4darin
Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The engine is only a small fraction of the overall weight of a vehicle. The difference between a 4.8L or 5.0L V10 weight-wise for example, would be very minimal.

Also keep in mind the LF-A is highly rumoured to have many exotic materials making up it's construction. The revised LF-A concept has carbon-ceramic brakes, and there is a rumour that for the production car, then entire body will be carbon fiber.

Even if the rumoured GS-F uses a V10 based on the LF-A, The LF-A's V10 may be further differentiated with some exclusive parts/technology.
I don't think engine weight is the main concern but more the characteristics of an engine with a longer stroke. Meaning, mostlikely a less free spinning / high spinning motor.
Old 04-12-07, 04:45 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexi4darin
I don't think engine weight is the main concern but more the characteristics of an engine with a longer stroke. Meaning, mostlikely a less free spinning / high spinning motor.
Correct, that was his concern. TRDFantasy either misread his post, or doesn't really understand the concept of engine stroke and its effect on the power curve.
Old 04-12-07, 04:50 PM
acerfan
Rookie

what I'd like to see on the next GS would be rear side window sunshades, either power or manual,

one of my friend's toyota sienna currently has them and it adds a nice, luxurious touch and they are pretty effective during harsh sunlight. I believe the RL has them too (i think)
Old 04-25-07, 05:49 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by acerfan
what I'd like to see on the next GS would be rear side window sunshades, either power or manual,

one of my friend's toyota sienna currently has them and it adds a nice, luxurious touch and they are pretty effective during harsh sunlight. I believe the RL has them too (i think)
This is the first time I've had a sunshade in any of my cars and while nice, it's not a deal breaker for me. I'd rather see Lexus tighten-up the steering with more road-feel and self-centering of the wheel. Also, I'd like to see a change to the brake settings for a better more progressive feel of the pedal.

These two changes would really transform this car from a luxo barge into a real sports/luxury that could favorably compete with the Germans and some Japanese makes. Those two changes would give more feedback to the driver, allowing for a more confident and safer experience.

On the inconsequential changes, one thing I miss from my Bimmer is the adaptive volume for the radio. I never thought I'd miss something so picayunish, but I do. I realize it's possible to adjust the volume from the steering wheel, same as Bimmers, but with the adaptive volume control, once you find and adjust settings to your preference, you don't even have to think about changing the radio volume as you run up in speed, the system does it all for you.
Old 04-27-07, 12:16 AM
solar300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Latest rumour on the "GS-F" ... Road & Track's March issue claims that the GS-F *may* use a V10 engine based on the LF-A's V10. This would make it a direct M5 competitor. It would also seem logical that it doesn't share the same engine as the IS-F. R & T said that the rumoured GS-F would have a 4.8L V10, while the production LF-A would have a bored-out 5.0L+ V10...
So...if the GS-F were to be equipped with the 500+ HP V10 from the LF-A...why not slip in the bored-out version of the 4.6 from the IS-F into the "regular" GS? GS500 anyone? If it makes power in the same neighborhood per liter as the LS460 or IS350 motors, we're talking somewhere in the neighborhood of 415-435HP...
Old 04-27-07, 10:47 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by acerfan

And, add bigger standard wheels, multi adjustable sport seat and SMG tranny option...

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL 2008 GS 460 Thread! (new info 342hp?)