GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

OFFICIAL 2008 GS 460 Thread! (new info 342hp?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-06, 02:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Yes, the GS450h comes with the cvt .
And its the worlds first longitudually mounted CVT.

Henry, brush up on yo Lexus

Old 05-12-06, 03:43 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

As long as the GS350 does not have it. (CVT) I hate hearing from all the owners of Audis who have the CVT. I love the Germans Tiptronic which is similar to our transmissions in the GS. Proven and reliable. Up till now. Increased Horsepower and the CVT have not been a good match.
Old 05-12-06, 10:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

haha i even admit i don't pay much attention to the es350

seriously, so many nice cars out there, i can only care about those i want man
Old 05-13-06, 03:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
As long as the GS350 does not have it. (CVT) I hate hearing from all the owners of Audis who have the CVT. I love the Germans Tiptronic which is similar to our transmissions in the GS. Proven and reliable. Up till now. Increased Horsepower and the CVT have not been a good match.
hybrid's planetary gearset is a lot different than standard CVT...
Old 05-13-06, 03:19 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
hybrid's planetary gearset is a lot different than standard CVT...
Do you know or feel when it shifts? Regardless, I hate to be that poor soul that loves his car so much that he keeps it for years and eventually goes to Ammco transmission and asks, how much to fix my CVT transmission?
Old 05-13-06, 07:03 PM
LexFather

As we know the GS 350 will get the same 6speed used now, which is also used in the IS 350.
No word if the GS 460 gets the 8 speed from the LS 460 or uses the same 6 speed.

CVT will be used for hybrids only.

Old 05-14-06, 09:04 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This weekend I saw a new, black GS450h for the first time and it's beautiful with those 18" Hybrid version rims.

However knowing a GS460 with 380HP+ is coming out next year, makes me think the Hybrid is nice, but the GS460 is the car to really desire and drool over! I can't wait!
Old 05-14-06, 09:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Do you know or feel when it shifts? Regardless, I hate to be that poor soul that loves his car so much that he keeps it for years and eventually goes to Ammco transmission and asks, how much to fix my CVT transmission?
there is no shifting involved, so you feel nothing. Hybrid's powersplitting device (aka e-cvt) is actually pretty simple and ingenious mechanically, you will probably have more chance of failure with manual...
Old 05-14-06, 09:27 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is no shifting involved, so you feel nothing. Hybrid's powersplitting device (aka e-cvt) is actually pretty simple and ingenious mechanically, you will probably have more chance of failure with manual...
Feel nothing? How much fun is that going to be?
Old 05-14-06, 11:15 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Feel nothing? How much fun is that going to be?

he means that the acceleration will be smooth, no jerking through gears like regular 6 speed transmissions do
Old 05-14-06, 03:19 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
he means that the acceleration will be smooth, no jerking through gears like regular 6 speed transmissions do
I actually love the experience of feeling a crisp transmission's shift. I hope there have not been issues with the GS transmissions in the Auto mode. The BMW, which is the most linear drivetrains in existence, still can give you some feel of when it shifts. What I have heard with regards to CVTs is that you are totally isolated to any change or shift in the transmission. This either takes getting used to or it may very well be something an owner does not like at all. I have never actually driven any CVT. I guess I would need to drive one to comment on it with any authority.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 05-14-06 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-14-06, 09:40 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I actually love the experience of feeling a crisp transmission's shift. I hope there have not been issues with the GS transmissions in the Auto mode. The BMW, which is the most linear drivetrains in existence, still can give you some feel of when it shifts. What I have heard with regards to CVTs is that you are totally isolated to any change or shift in the transmission. This either takes getting used to or it may very well be something an owner does not like at all. I have never actually driven any CVT. I guess I would need to drive one to comment on it with any authority.

yea...it takes getting used to...i remember when i got the prius and was confused why i didn't see any rpm meters because i was trying to break in the car...lol...but i am used to it now...so when i recently got the rx400h...i didn't seem to notice anything...i know some euro cars have cvt and they seem pretty smooth...but it depends on what you want your car to feel like...
Old 05-15-06, 08:57 AM
BlackGS430
Driver School Candidate

news. I HAVE CONFIRMED THAT LEXUS WILL INTRODUCE THE IS500 IN THE FALL OF 07. THIS WILL BE A 4-DOOR CAR WITH DIFFERENT AGGRESSIVE BODYWORK. ALSO IN THE FALL OF 08 LEXUS WILL INTRODUCE A GS V10 WITH OVER 500HP!!!! ENJOY.MY SOURCE COUD'NT BE MORE RELIABLE
Old 05-15-06, 09:00 AM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BlackGS430
news. I HAVE CONFIRMED THAT LEXUS WILL INTRODUCE THE IS500 IN THE FALL OF 07. THIS WILL BE A 4-DOOR CAR WITH DIFFERENT AGGRESSIVE BODYWORK. ALSO IN THE FALL OF 08 LEXUS WILL INTRODUCE A GS V10 WITH OVER 500HP!!!! ENJOY.MY SOURCE COUD'NT BE MORE RELIABLE
Someone likes their caps lock.
Old 05-15-06, 09:27 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackGS430
Your news mustn't be a big one because it starts with small letters.

A V10 GS! And before a production LF-A? That's the first of such rumors. Hopefully your source is reliable as you say man.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL 2008 GS 460 Thread! (new info 342hp?)