GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Which one?
GS 350 AWD
88.00%
RX 400 H
12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

AWD gs350 or rx400h??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-06, 09:03 PM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AWD gs350 or rx400h??

what to do what to do???

GS350
pros:
new engine with more power
new nav (which really doesn't matter to me since i know this area VERY well and i wouldn't use it that much)
new features - push button start

cons:
seats don't go down - i snowboard a lot and that means i would have to buy a roof rack
not coming out for another 3+ months
would have to pay msrp when it comes out

RX400h
pros:
i could probably find one right now
roomier
better gas mileage
cheaper

cons:
uh...can't think of any that's relevant to me :/

on paper it seems like the 400h is the better choice but i love the styling of the GS and the new features that are coming out. ARGH!!! what should i do?!?!?
Old 04-15-06, 12:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

just ask you one question:

the rx400h is just like a camry / ES. will you get bored after driving it for a while?

imho that's the key question
Old 04-15-06, 12:59 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

depends what you really are looking for...the rx400h is more roomier...but more family....the GS350 awd is more sportier...but cramped....I have a rx400h right now and i don't really mind the ride...very smooth and i get around 25-27mpg on regular unleaded gasoline. If you plan to fix up the GS350awd then get that car instead...if you just want a car for basically everything from local stuff to boarding then choose the RX...but since I am on the list for a gs450h...i have choices if i don't like to drive the 400 today...heh...well hope this helps...
Old 04-15-06, 01:35 AM
LexFather

Poll Time Biatches :d
Old 04-15-06, 07:36 AM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
just ask you one question:

the rx400h is just like a camry / ES. will you get bored after driving it for a while?

imho that's the key question
why do you say it's like the camry/ES? you mean in terms of the way the car drives.

i don't wanna mod my cars anymore...if i did anything with the GS350 i'd only do minor stuff like exhausts and stuff like that. no more engine modding. heheh. it's not worth the money.
Old 04-15-06, 07:42 AM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
depends what you really are looking for...the rx400h is more roomier...but more family....the GS350 awd is more sportier...but cramped....I have a rx400h right now and i don't really mind the ride...very smooth and i get around 25-27mpg on regular unleaded gasoline. If you plan to fix up the GS350awd then get that car instead...if you just want a car for basically everything from local stuff to boarding then choose the RX...but since I am on the list for a gs450h...i have choices if i don't like to drive the 400 today...heh...well hope this helps...

thanks.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Poll Time Biatches :d
thanks for the poll but i'd rather have people back up their reasoning instead of just choosing what they like.
Old 04-15-06, 08:51 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oneeyejack
why do you say it's like the camry/ES? you mean in terms of the way the car drives.

i don't wanna mod my cars anymore...if i did anything with the GS350 i'd only do minor stuff like exhausts and stuff like that. no more engine modding. heheh. it's not worth the money.
RX is Camry based FWD, so it handles poorly.

GS handles much better, but it's cramped like everybody says. Not a
family car at all.

My choice would be GS350AWD. If cargo room is a necessity, then RX.
It was quite a jigsaw puzzle trying to fit 4 wheels and 4 tires in my GS...
Old 04-15-06, 01:07 PM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

what to do what to do???

GS350
pros:

new nav (which really doesn't matter to me since i know this area VERY well and i wouldn't use it that much)
new features - push button start
The rx400h has both of those. Or is the GS350 going to have newer than Gen5 nav on it?
Old 04-15-06, 02:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yup, all 3 cars are based on almost the same platform. i have driven more than enough es and rx loaners, and i had camry before. they all really drive the same. don't get me wrong, they are awesome cars, very comfortable, quiet, and roomy.

but for my age and passion, i would want something more. i would sleep if i drive the rx or es
Old 04-15-06, 03:51 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get both so you can have the best of both worlds!
Old 04-15-06, 08:07 PM
speedyg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RX400h accelerates and passes well due to the electic motors, but definitely doesn't handle like a sports car (lots of body roll and dip, tires not grippy, brakes weak.) But is much more practical if you have a family. Seats fold down, lots of cargo room, easy to get stuff in/out. Comfortable on long trips, rear seat passengers have room to stretch their legs (feet fit under front seats) and rear seats slide forward and back and recline as well. Hitch is easy to install by yourself b/c the RX400h includes the tow prep package, etc. Comes with roof rack. Does pretty well in snow/ice, very surefooted. It's environmentally friendly and makes you feel good if you care about that kind of thing. I find it fun to drive in two different ways: 1) exercising the instantaneously available torque for accel/passing and 2) trying to maximize fuel efficiency. the mpg graphs are fun to look at and if you drive under the right conditions and in the right way you can get 32+ mpg. I average 26 mpg in mixed city/highway.

Last edited by speedyg; 04-15-06 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-15-06, 08:12 PM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was really considering a 2006 RX 400h until I saw the 3GS. Now I'm waiting for the 2007 GS 350 AWD.
Old 04-15-06, 10:38 PM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

i walked into the dealer today and bought a 400h. =D couldn't resist and the fact that you get great mileage AND don't have to use premium gas. i hope i don't regret my decision. let's see what happens when the GS350's come out. maybe i'll trade it back for that. =P
Old 04-16-06, 12:13 AM
Raptor.1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S L I C K
I was really considering a 2006 RX 400h until I saw the 3GS. Now I'm waiting for the 2007 GS 350 AWD.

And I am waiting for the 460. I love the idea of hybrid technology and what it offers but for now I am still a V8 lover with the deep sound and brute power. It would take some getting used to for me for such a silent car, I mean Lexus is already such a quiet car and the idea of an invisable motor~ I do see the hybrid as a next step in automabile evolution and Lexus is on the cutting edge offering the very best in hybrid technology. Lexus truly does offer a car of perfection and I believe they are getting there faster than any other. Lexus will rule the world someday~

For now I am a V8 guy but I will make the transation someday.
Old 04-16-06, 02:08 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoodo
The rx400h has both of those. Or is the GS350 going to have newer than Gen5 nav on it?

RX doesn't have the Push start or the Gen 5 navi... ....disappointed but oh well...

Quick Reply: AWD gs350 or rx400h??