GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Ipod installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-06 | 12:15 PM
jdog
Rookie

I just installed one as well. Simple install, works great. I like that I can still control everything from the iPod and use the track up/down on the steering wheel. Also, I have the Sirius satellite radio installed for anyone wondering if it can do both.
Old 05-17-06 | 01:18 PM
byran
Driver School Candidate

I bought one, installed it, and am currently happy. The wire is routed into my center console, so my iPod has a home. Couple limitations though- Your playlists are referenced as a number, so if you have a lot of playlists, you're gonna want to write down which number is which playlist. Additionally- although you can choose a song directly by using your iPod, the track name and artist no longer show up- basically when you use the iPod directly, you're just using it as an auxillary input.

It's MUCH better than any other currently available solution, but that one company that sells all the mod stuff for the Prius, is supposed to be working on one that looks completely ideal. It just ain't available yet.

By the way- the install is snap. On another forum I found a picture-by-picture tutorial of how to remove the head unit to do the bluetooth mod. Worked like a charm.
Old 05-17-06 | 07:58 PM
rokinkead
Driver School Candidate

Byran:

How did you pull up the center console wood panel? Did it feel sturdy when pulling it up? Where exactly did you start to pull it and how did you advance the process?

I am afraid of breaking that panel.

Last edited by SGT; 05-17-06 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-17-06 | 08:05 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rokinkead
Byran:

How did you pull up the center console wood panel? Did it feel sturdy when pulling it up? Where exactly did you start to pull it and how did you advance the process?

I am afraid of breaking that panel.
Pull from the tail end on the two pieces the wrap either end of the armrest. I find it easiest to wedge a flat head screwdriver under each side, one at a time and it will just pop off.
Old 05-20-06 | 06:47 PM
rokinkead
Driver School Candidate

There is nothing to fear but fear itself!!!

I held my breath and pulled up on the center console!

Ok, I did that earlier this week when I started looking into the practical aspects of pulling out the head unit. I just installed the Vaistech today. It was not a formidable task. In fact, it was simple. Thanks to vvt-i and the other pioneers at pulling apart the console on a brand new Lexus. Excellent instructions from vvt-i.

The programming was easy as well. In fact that was the easiest task. The most time consuming task was figuring out where to route cables and place the Vaistech box. I placed it in the glove compartment so that I can have easy access for firmware upgrade and programming. I ran the cable from the head unit, out the right side and up into the glove box. A 3 inch piece of cable shows near the bottom of the glove compartment, adjacent to the console (where it exits the from inside the console and goes into the glove compartment).

I keep the ipod in the glove compartment and take it out and rest it in the ashtray when driving. Therefore, there is no evidence of an ipod hookup when things are stowed.

I found that the manual lacks clarity in the instructions for setting control by the head unit vs conrtol by the ipod. Tapping the scan button on the head unit 8 times toggles between both modes.

Great sound quality. Now my wife wants me work on getting her one for her G35 Sedan.

>Richard
Old 05-29-06 | 11:59 PM
HotShotEng
Pole Position

Default Fm Tunebase For Ipod

Saw this device by Belkin that allows you to play your ipod on your FM receiver. The following is from the TheNerd.net site: (you can see device here: http://www.thenerds.net/index.php?pa...Z049BLK#secTab )
By seamlessly integrating an FM transmitter with the versatility of a car power adapter, TuneBase FM for iPod offers the outstanding convenience of an all-in-one solution on the road. Its improved FM transmission delivers crisp, clean audio performance for an unsurpassed listening experience in your car. Your iPod content goes through the FM channel and TuneBase FM lets you choose the best available frequency for listening. It features four programmable memory slots that let you easily find the clearest frequency, and toggle among them for best performance. You can listen to your iPod player easily through your car stereo with TuneBase FM. The holder secures your iPod and features an innovative, flexible-steel neck for easy repositioning.

Has anyone seen or used this device before? Seems like a better solution than the tape deck adapter for those that don't want to clip wirers, but does it really provide good audio listening.
Old 05-30-06 | 03:00 AM
kissbang
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HotShotEng
Has anyone seen or used this device before? Seems like a better solution than the tape deck adapter for those that don't want to clip wirers, but does it really provide good audio listening.
FM transmitters and cassette adapters are sort of in the same pool in terms of audio quality. Both are just... OK. I don't know... they're bearable on cars with an stereo system but IMO, they just don't do the Lexus system justice. I mean, I hate the way they sound in my GS.
Old 05-30-06 | 08:57 AM
vboyz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rokinkead
There is nothing to fear but fear itself!!!

I held my breath and pulled up on the center console!

Ok, I did that earlier this week when I started looking into the practical aspects of pulling out the head unit. I just installed the Vaistech today. It was not a formidable task. In fact, it was simple. Thanks to vvt-i and the other pioneers at pulling apart the console on a brand new Lexus. Excellent instructions from vvt-i.

The programming was easy as well. In fact that was the easiest task. The most time consuming task was figuring out where to route cables and place the Vaistech box. I placed it in the glove compartment so that I can have easy access for firmware upgrade and programming. I ran the cable from the head unit, out the right side and up into the glove box. A 3 inch piece of cable shows near the bottom of the glove compartment, adjacent to the console (where it exits the from inside the console and goes into the glove compartment).

I keep the ipod in the glove compartment and take it out and rest it in the ashtray when driving. Therefore, there is no evidence of an ipod hookup when things are stowed.

I found that the manual lacks clarity in the instructions for setting control by the head unit vs conrtol by the ipod. Tapping the scan button on the head unit 8 times toggles between both modes.

Great sound quality. Now my wife wants me work on getting her one for her G35 Sedan.

>Richard
When u install SLI, which mode did u use CD emu or MD emu?
Old 05-30-06 | 08:58 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vboyz
When u install SLI, which mode did u use CD emu or MD emu?
You should use CD emulation.
Old 05-30-06 | 07:46 PM
rokinkead
Driver School Candidate

Use CD emulation as SGT indicated.
Old 05-31-06 | 10:29 AM
frebay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jdog
I just installed one as well. Simple install, works great. I like that I can still control everything from the iPod and use the track up/down on the steering wheel. Also, I have the Sirius satellite radio installed for anyone wondering if it can do both.

I thought Ipod functions are disabled once you plug it in.
Old 05-31-06 | 10:31 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by frebay
I thought Ipod functions are disabled once you plug it in.
They are, but you can switch to iPod mode in which case you control everything via the iPod. However, you can't use the steering wheel controls at the same time.
Old 05-31-06 | 10:53 AM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HotShotEng
Saw this device by Belkin that allows you to play your ipod on your FM receiver. The following is from the TheNerd.net site: (you can see device here: http://www.thenerds.net/index.php?pa...Z049BLK#secTab )
By seamlessly integrating an FM transmitter with the versatility of a car power adapter, TuneBase FM for iPod offers the outstanding convenience of an all-in-one solution on the road. Its improved FM transmission delivers crisp, clean audio performance for an unsurpassed listening experience in your car. Your iPod content goes through the FM channel and TuneBase FM lets you choose the best available frequency for listening. It features four programmable memory slots that let you easily find the clearest frequency, and toggle among them for best performance. You can listen to your iPod player easily through your car stereo with TuneBase FM. The holder secures your iPod and features an innovative, flexible-steel neck for easy repositioning.

the FM transmitters for the ipod suck especially in an area that has a lot of different radio on close frequencies. you'll find that you'll be changing stations quite a bit.

my friends have tried them all and also decided to go with the x3 wiring harness in their acuras. the sound is a LOT better now.
Old 05-31-06 | 12:58 PM
jdog
Rookie

With mine, in "Simple" mode, you can use the controls on the iPod to select an artist, album, playlist, whatever. Once playing, I can use steering wheel controls to move up/down track, volume, input (CD, Sat, iPod/Aux, FM, etc.). The song titles, etc do not display on the screen.

In "advanced" mode, it will play your first 12 playlists (up to 99 tracks each) and you can use the steering wheel controls to move up/down tracks and playlists. Also, the playlist name and track name are displayed on the screen. But, the iPod controls are locked.

I always use simple mode because I usually like to pick an album or artist on the fly. Then, I can scroll up or down tracks using the steering wheel controls. I have my iPod connected to the cable going into the center console side trim. This way, either I or my passenger can use the iPod controls to play DJ.

I love it. Well worth the investment and 30 minute install. Sounds great.
Old 05-31-06 | 01:07 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Oops, guess I was wrong about not being able to use the steering wheel controls while in Simple mode.

Quick Reply: Ipod installation