GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Ipod installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-06, 10:23 AM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ipod installation

Ok... my 13th birthday (actual age may vary from advertised) is coming up and I'm thinking of asking for a Ipod from my girl... Anyone have suggestions (besides FM Modulators) Anyone done a retrofit or is the car prewired? Help PLease!
Old 04-19-06, 02:13 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Car isn't prewired, but I use the cassette adapter and it sounds awesome. Only problem is, it's about as seemless as the rocky mountains. Plus, I question the durability of the tape player, since they aren't know for durability.
Old 04-19-06, 02:17 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheRupp
Car isn't prewired, but I use the cassette adapter and it sounds awesome. Only problem is, it's about as seemless as the rocky mountains. Plus, I question the durability of the tape player, since they aren't know for durability.
Thanks buddie... I'm trying to get a clean install and I figured the Cassette and FM Modulator isn't the best of ideas, but I might have to do it like you did if I can't figure out something better... I heard about something called a LexPod somewhere... Maybe we should all do a group buy with those guys... Thanks for the input though!
Old 04-19-06, 02:21 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eternity3G
Thanks buddie... I'm trying to get a clean install and I figured the Cassette and FM Modulator isn't the best of ideas, but I might have to do it like you did if I can't figure out something better... I heard about something called a LexPod somewhere... Maybe we should all do a group buy with those guys... Thanks for the input though!
You better believe it. Wow, I just looked this thing up... it's damn impressive. I'll probably pick one of these up

Here's an in-depth article all about it, including screen shots: Link

And here's a page to buy it at, with instructions: Link
Old 04-19-06, 02:31 PM
rokinkead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking at the options, and decided to buy of these Vaistech SLI interfaces. I have it sitting in the box in my den. Just need to get a "veteran" installer looking over my shoulder, take it to one and have them install and program it (or I can program it), or just muster up the courage and install it myself. I have the capability to do it myself, just afraid to pull apart my new dash.
Old 04-19-06, 02:35 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

There are threads on how to install this device with pics. The only difficult part would be to remove the head unit without damaging anything. I believe routhing the wire to your glove box is straight forward. I seen this one dude rout it to his middle console.
Old 04-19-06, 02:48 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Maybe we should all do a group buy with those guys...
Group buys on CL are allowed through approved vendors only please. Perhaps you can see if one of them can carry the product.
Old 04-19-06, 02:57 PM
rokinkead
Driver School Candidate

I have actually printed out the instructions for accessing the HU connectors, and read them over and over and over. I am just nervous about doing the deed.

The car still has less than 350 miles on it. I will muster up some courage when it gets a few more miles.
Old 04-19-06, 03:49 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Group buys on CL are allowed through approved vendors only please. Perhaps you can see if one of them can carry the product.
Oops... sorry... didn't know that Dave... I call some of the vendors...
Old 04-19-06, 05:06 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Vaistech SLI in my 3GS and it works great. Installation is very straightforward and simple, although I did encounter minor problems getting the head unit to recognize the iPod. Once I got past that, it was smooth sailing. I rarely listen to my CD's anymore as I have everything on my iPod and then some. I highly recommend it.
Old 04-19-06, 05:51 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SGT
I have the Vaistech SLI in my 3GS and it works great. Installation is very straightforward and simple, although I did encounter minor problems getting the head unit to recognize the iPod. Once I got past that, it was smooth sailing. I rarely listen to my CD's anymore as I have everything on my iPod and then some. I highly recommend it.
SGT,

Can I ask you a favor and post some screen shots and how much you you paid? Thank you!

So the "navi/head unit" will be able to control the Ipod? and the steering wheel controls? Sorry so many questions...

again... thanks in advance!
Old 04-19-06, 06:38 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SGT,

Can I ask you a favor and post some screen shots and how much you you paid? Thank you!

So the "navi/head unit" will be able to control the Ipod? and the steering wheel controls? Sorry so many questions...

again... thanks in advance!
Eternity, what screens are you looking for in particular? There are several pictures on Vaistech's page:

Those two screens pretty much sum up how it appears on the head unit. All iPod controls are integrated into the head unit and steering wheel controls as if it came stock from the factory.
Old 04-20-06, 12:11 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SGT
Eternity, what screens are you looking for in particular? There are several pictures on Vaistech's page:

Those two screens pretty much sum up how it appears on the head unit. All iPod controls are integrated into the head unit and steering wheel controls as if it came stock from the factory.
THANKS! I just wanted to see if everything worked direct throught the factory head and controls.... Sweet...
Old 04-23-06, 08:35 PM
GFC350
Rookie

Thats a pretty sweet product! I just picked up my GS300 on Friday and I had to burn regular cds because all of mine were MP3 and on my Ipod. I'll definitely pick one of these up so I can continue to use my Ipod instead of burning regular cds! Eternity, did you ever find out about that group buy? We should get this approved, I'm pretty sure there are alot of members that would pick one up so that they wont have to regret their 4th Gen Navi that doesnt play MP3's like mines......
Old 04-26-06, 09:47 AM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GFC350
Thats a pretty sweet product! I just picked up my GS300 on Friday and I had to burn regular cds because all of mine were MP3 and on my Ipod. I'll definitely pick one of these up so I can continue to use my Ipod instead of burning regular cds! Eternity, did you ever find out about that group buy? We should get this approved, I'm pretty sure there are alot of members that would pick one up so that they wont have to regret their 4th Gen Navi that doesnt play MP3's like mines......
Admin told me no "unsponsored" group buys so I haven't really looked into it... I wouldn't mind getting it though... NEO is meeting me on friday.. I'll ask him..

Quick Reply: Ipod installation