GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: 1SICKLEX says, ITS POLL TIME! Which one?
GS 300
0%
IS 350
0%
Wait a few months for the GS350
100.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

GS300 or IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-06, 09:43 AM
HemantS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All depends.

The IS is a sports sedan with luxury features.

The GS is a luxury sedan with sporty handling.
Old 04-20-06, 07:38 PM
soflGSguy
Rookie

Default GS all the way

I Drove an Gs for 9months and then a 2006 IS for 2months as they ware replacing my GS,, long story,, When I first got in the IS I was like man this is sport. but after about two weeks the IS got really old fast, they fit and finish is much lower, ride yes sport, but i feel the rear-end gave out much faster then in the GS yes I know people going to say no it doesn’t but i ride them on the hard into turns ware most the time I slide ,,, fun yes but IS i did not like it, the radio was not as nice, to bassy,, the rear doors don’t have the smart key only the front doors so unlocking all doors on the drives side didn’t happen unless u used the key or opened the door and hit the button,,, and did I say anything about the blind spots? IS a hole F350 was going and then came back, I cut soo many people off just because I couldn’t see in it bigger side mirrors yes but much more blind spots, IS is also more drag, and loader wind noise, was fun to drive but GS is much much more of car to me, also its a SAFER car. This is coming from a person who had his GS replaced because of a problem a problem my car seemed to have, yet I would do it all over again.

Last note the IS looked like a kia. Don’t know what model but I was parked next to one the day before I got the GS. Looked soo much alike I had to do a double take, and to me the kia might even have a bitter fit and finish because when I was sitting in the IS the plastic dash did not line up with the radio so u could see in it.

GS all the way

BTW i'm 21 and i get more people my age going nice car with the GS then the IS
Old 04-20-06, 08:17 PM
JamRWS6
Driver

Originally Posted by soflGSguy
I Drove an Gs for 9months and then a 2006 IS for 2months as they ware replacing my GS,, long story,, When I first got in the IS I was like man this is sport. but after about two weeks the IS got really old fast, they fit and finish is much lower, ride yes sport, but i feel the rear-end gave out much faster then in the GS yes I know people going to say no it doesn’t but i ride them on the hard into turns ware most the time I slide ,,, fun yes but IS i did not like it, the radio was not as nice, to bassy,, the rear doors don’t have the smart key only the front doors so unlocking all doors on the drives side didn’t happen unless u used the key or opened the door and hit the button,,, and did I say anything about the blind spots? IS a hole F350 was going and then came back, I cut soo many people off just because I couldn’t see in it bigger side mirrors yes but much more blind spots, IS is also more drag, and loader wind noise, was fun to drive but GS is much much more of car to me, also its a SAFER car. This is coming from a person who had his GS replaced because of a problem a problem my car seemed to have, yet I would do it all over again.

Last note the IS looked like a kia. Don’t know what model but I was parked next to one the day before I got the GS. Looked soo much alike I had to do a double take, and to me the kia might even have a bitter fit and finish because when I was sitting in the IS the plastic dash did not line up with the radio so u could see in it.

GS all the way

BTW i'm 21 and i get more people my age going nice car with the GS then the IS
Not to start arguments but have you even seen the crash tests for the IS? I would hardly call the GS "safer".
BTW I drove a GS300....I thought it was slow.

If you need the room and like luxury get the GS.
The IS is A LOT more sporty and a heck of a lot faster and still has EQUAL build quality to a GS.

I'm also 21 and I have people throwing thumbs-ups out the window to the IS.
Old 04-20-06, 09:57 PM
GFC350
Rookie

Very well put soflGSguy. I must agree that the GS is a nicer ride all around, but I guess its gonna all come down to what each individual is looking for. Obviously JamWRS6 wants the speed and can sacrifice the room. This is why hes driving an IS350. Im kinda borderline and the GS has enough power for me while having the smoother and roomier ride, so Im going to be picking up my Glacier Frost tomorrow. Well actually today now, after work. I sure hope I dont regret getting the GS. LOL
Old 04-22-06, 02:24 PM
JamRWS6
Driver

Originally Posted by GFC350
Very well put soflGSguy. I must agree that the GS is a nicer ride all around, but I guess its gonna all come down to what each individual is looking for. Obviously JamWRS6 wants the speed and can sacrifice the room. This is why hes driving an IS350. Im kinda borderline and the GS has enough power for me while having the smoother and roomier ride, so Im going to be picking up my Glacier Frost tomorrow. Well actually today now, after work. I sure hope I dont regret getting the GS. LOL
Well said. The GS has a great ride, no doubt. I just thought the IS was the best blend for me

Both are Lexuses (Lexi? ) and have great materials and build quality. Both are good cars so there is no need to try and demean any of them

We also have an 06 RX330 which can smooth out the ride if the IS isn't enough.
Old 04-22-06, 02:48 PM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
Not to start arguments but have you even seen the crash tests for the IS? I would hardly call the GS "safer".
BTW I drove a GS300....I thought it was slow.

If you need the room and like luxury get the GS.
The IS is A LOT more sporty and a heck of a lot faster and still has EQUAL build quality to a GS.

I'm also 21 and I have people throwing thumbs-ups out the window to the IS.
No doubt the quailty is great in both cars.... but the build materials used is a different story. Look at the interiors of both cars. The GS looks more like a true luxury car compared to the IS, and the price reflects this.

If you want a faster car, the IS is the obvious choise. If the bigger size and more prestigous look appeals to you, the GS is a real winner.

You say you thought the GS felt slow. 0-60 in under 7 seconds is hardly considered slow, but heck, I know people that think anything over 5 seconds is slow. It's all about whats right for you.

Last edited by scottmyers; 04-22-06 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-23-06, 09:23 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Based upon the responses so far, it appears that everyone here has leaned towards the GS. I will more than likely be joining the GS group!! My dealership has located me an 06 GS300 in Glacier Frost Mica with black interior fully loaded with everything besides the radar cruise. Thanks
Sounds like you had already made up your mind before you posted here. Of course the overwelming response here would be for GS300, since you posted on the GS forum. Do it on the IS forum and the answer would be IS350. Both are great cars. If you regularly carry people in the back seat, then GS would be the one. The only "luxury" item that the GS has over the IS is the drop-down panel that houses the mirror/fuel door/trunk control switches. Don't forget the IS has availabel bi-xenon and MP3 that you can't get in the GS. I tested a GS430 before settling on IS350 because I thought GS430's ride was no better, if not worse (too much wobbling), than the IS; my wife, by no means a sports car fan and the one who was leaning toward the larger and "more prestigious/luxurious" GS before the test drive, actually voted for the IS. Just follow your heart.

Last edited by jlin101; 04-23-06 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-23-06, 09:26 AM
LexFather

Ya'll know what time it is pOLL TIME!!!
Old 04-23-06, 09:27 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There you are... we were waiting for you, 1SICK! I voted for the GS350, but since he can't wait that long, go with the GS300!
Old 04-23-06, 11:24 AM
GFC350
Rookie

Alright guys, I went to Lexus of Tampabay on friday and drove off with my 06 GFM GS300 with black interior fully loaded! What a car! I'm so glad I didnt get the IS. Luckily, they didnt have the IS350 with GFM on black with Lux or Sport. This was the reason why I ended up test driving the GS. All it took was one test drive on Monday before saying this is the car I want! LOL I actually hoped back into the IS350 and drove it after the GS test drive. GS ALL THE WAY!! I would post some pictures but its pretty much your typical GS300 GFM/Black and I dont want to bore anyone. Thanks for all the resonses.
Old 04-23-06, 11:27 AM
LexFather

Alright guys, I went to Lexus of Tampabay on friday and drove off with my 06 GFM GS300 with black interior fully loaded! What a car! I'm so glad I didnt get the IS. Luckily, they didnt have the IS350 with GFM on black with Lux or Sport. This was the reason why I ended up test driving the GS. All it took was one test drive on Monday before saying this is the car I want! LOL I actually hoped back into the IS350 and drove it after the GS test drive. GS ALL THE WAY!! I would post some pictures but its pretty much your typical GS300 GFM/Black and I dont want to bore anyone. Thanks for all the resonses.
Congratulations!!!
Old 04-23-06, 11:37 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Congrats on the new GS... Who cares about boring pics... post them anyway...
Old 04-23-06, 12:44 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thenod
Here's my 2 cents...

If I was under 35 or single, I'd get the IS350

If I was pushin 40 or married, I'd go GS

Either way, you're going to have a GREAT car! GOOD LUCK!
I'm 28.....
Old 04-26-06, 05:44 AM
Black Ten
Driver School Candidate

I was in the same quandry. Once I test drove the GS300 I knew it was the right model for me. It was bigger, more spacious, more comfortable, it was a lot more car for not much more $$ than the IS350. At the time the 350 jus came out and I had little bargaining power on it as compared with the GS300. Also, the IS I felt was a kids' car while the GS was an adults' car. While I would have loved the IS a few years ago, I thought the GS would keep me happier longer. Having decided on the GS300 since the GS430 was out of my price range, I decided to take a test drive in the 430 just to see the difference even though I really couldn't afford it. Before we left I really didn't think the 430 would be that different from the 300. Driving the 430, I couldn't believe the difference between it and the 300. I ended up getting a great deal on a 430 and taking out a bigger loan than I wanted to. I couldn't be happier. If I absolutely could not have gotten the 430 I would have definately taken the GS300 over the IS350.
Old 04-28-06, 08:56 PM
JamRWS6
Driver

Originally Posted by scottmyers
No doubt the quailty is great in both cars.... but the build materials used is a different story. Look at the interiors of both cars. The GS looks more like a true luxury car compared to the IS, and the price reflects this.

If you want a faster car, the IS is the obvious choise. If the bigger size and more prestigous look appeals to you, the GS is a real winner.

You say you thought the GS felt slow. 0-60 in under 7 seconds is hardly considered slow, but heck, I know people that think anything over 5 seconds is slow. It's all about whats right for you.
The interiors are pretty similar...which isn't all that surprising considering the IS is basically a shortened GS. The GS is a bigger car...so you pay more

I guess it depends on your perspective. My other vehicle is quite a bit quicker and faster than the IS350 is so that might explain it. And it doesn't particularly feel fast to me.

I like the GS....but would have to spring for atleast the GS430 or the 450H

Quick Reply: GS300 or IS350?