GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Longo Lexus Installed Satelite Receiver Siriusly Stinks

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-06, 08:36 PM
Lexus Love
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longo Lexus Installed Satelite Receiver Siriusly Stinks

The Sirius radio receiver that was installed by Longo Lexus is terrible. The sound quality is terrible and I'm constantly getting dropped signals in Palm Springs all the way to Los Angeles. They've tried to fix it several times, and they've replaced it and it is still terrible. Is anyone else having problems with their Longo-installed satellite radio. Their customer service is very good, but the problem persists.
Old 04-21-06, 02:10 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

i have sirus on my rx400h and i don't really like the quality...i don't know if it was installed at the dealer...but i rarely use it since i lose signal under an overpass or bridge...and the sound quality is worse than regular FM...
Old 04-21-06, 07:26 AM
thenod
Driver

I wonder if XM is any better? I chose Sirius for my 450h. I"ll post my review once I test it out. By the way, does Lexus offer any free trial? If not, I may not sign up.
Old 04-21-06, 09:08 AM
jwa
Pole Position

I have XM in my GS and Sirius in my RRS. The XM never drops out - it even works in the garage. The Sirius has more drops than I can count, and I loose all reception in the garage or at a gas station. My Sirius drops have been increasing significantly of late, and I have heard the same story from a number of friends driving different types of cars. IMO, if your Sirius reception just recently began to deteriorate, the problem is probably not with your receiver or antenna.
Old 04-21-06, 09:36 AM
DrComputer
Pole Position

XW will always get better reception than Sirius in large cities (like Los Angeles) because XM uses BOTH satellite signals and ground repeaters in major metropolitan areas. Sirius only uses a satellite signal.
Old 04-21-06, 10:22 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the sound quality of the sirius tuner is not very good. i also prefer FM over sirius sound. you also have to crank up your volume to 30 or so to make it sound better, otherwise it sounds a muted. i don't think it's sirius' problem, i think it's just the 1st year sirius/ML integration that sucks. it will probably get better in a few years. some ppl like the sound depending on the type of music you listen to and the quality of regular FM radio in your area. FM in my neighborhood is very good and crisp, no static whatsoever. so personally i find sirius to be less enjoyable.
Old 04-21-06, 02:12 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Satellite radio is digital and not variable at all in terms of bitrate.

While you can have varying signal strength, this will NOT affect the sound quality... it's either playing at full quality or not at all (choppy or silence). No inbetween.

What could be affecting sound quality is if they cheaped out and did an FM modulated install rather than a direct input to the Aux/Sat connection?
Old 04-21-06, 10:03 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

>>it's either playing at full quality or not at all (choppy or silence). No inbetween.

What could be affecting sound quality is if they cheaped out and did an FM modulated install rather than a direct input to the Aux/Sat connection?<<

Well, Sirius and XM use different audio codecs, and for each channel they use whatever bitrate they feel is appropriate. As a result, the offerings can and do sound very different. From what I read here and in other forums, and based on my own experience, XM sound quality is better than Sirius, with Sirius bordering on useless (for me). The reception issues are a separate matter. But if it's Howard Stern you want, then there's only one choice.
Old 04-22-06, 07:10 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DrexLex
Well, Sirius and XM use different audio codecs, and for each channel they use whatever bitrate they feel is appropriate. As a result, the offerings can and do sound very different. From what I read here and in other forums, and based on my own experience, XM sound quality is better than Sirius, with Sirius bordering on useless (for me). The reception issues are a separate matter. But if it's Howard Stern you want, then there's only one choice.
Yes, they use different codecs and have different rates of sound quality - I have XM in my Audi and XM, Sirius, and Napster radio at home.

And FM modulated installation will make either of them sound like complete crap though... my GS400's XM was installed that way.
Old 04-27-06, 08:17 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

The signal is compressed and they both sound like crap. I've got Sirius in my BMW and XM in my MDX. The Sirius sounds better than the XM, but as pointed out, it can be how the stereo is setup to work with the Sat. The fact is however that they are not CD quality sound - FM at best.
Old 04-28-06, 10:05 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doug_999
The Sirius sounds better than the XM, but as pointed out, it can be how the stereo is setup to work with the Sat. The fact is however that they are not CD quality sound - FM at best.
Totally agree. I used a portable Sirius receiver in my last GS, hooked up via a cassette adapter. Was very underwhelmed at the sound quality.

I still have an option to get a free Sirius install at Longo, but really have no desire
Old 04-28-06, 05:32 PM
Jesse95911
Driver School Candidate

Just got my GS from Longo with the free Sirius. Love the programing... hate the fidelity (or lack thereof)....

If they expect me to pay for this service after the 9 month free trial ends they had better improve the sound quality and reception....
Old 04-29-06, 05:24 PM
lextech7
Driver School Candidate

Sirius is a joke ! poor installation material.... XM has a much beter install.... very close to factory equipment TOYOTA part #s for brackets, antenna, receiver. we try to shy people away from SIRIUS because of poor sound quality & poor install materials.
Old 04-29-06, 07:25 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thumbs down on Sirius receiver....

here at our dealership. We have had numerous complaints and have suspended installs for the time being while waiting for a new receiver to be produced. XM is very reliable and can grab signal inside our shop or showroom. Sirius drops out if you go under a tree while driving. NOT a luxury experience and it doesn't matter if you have the Pioneer head unit or Mark Levinson amps because garbage in is garbage out....

Rock
Old 04-29-06, 10:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,433 Likes on 1,595 Posts

It's inexcusable how compressed and poor quality digital satelite radio is. If my satelite TV can offer Dolby Digital 5.1 sound (yes it's compressed but sounds amazing) on dozens of channels, surely satelite radio could do decent quality 2 channel at least!

Quick Reply: Longo Lexus Installed Satelite Receiver Siriusly Stinks