GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Q&A... Help w/ Seats Pls!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-06, 12:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcsanders
But...the thing about the bimmer / merc systems (at least the ones i've come across) was that you had to hold down the memory button - once you let go it stopped adjusting...so you wouldn't likely be in a situation where the car squashed you against the steering wheel....our GS3's also have that feature - on top of the system not letting you adjust it unless the car is in Park...
umm this is news then. so you syaing that on the 06 gs, if you are driving and you press and hold on the memory button, the seats will adjust?
Old 05-08-06, 01:55 AM
ajcsanders
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No - what i'm saying is that on our GS3's the button moves the seats/mirrors/steering only while you hold down the button - and stops adjusting when you release the button, but unlike the bimmers & mercs i've tried - the GS3 adjustment only works when the car is in park.

My point is that so long as the adjustment takes place while you're holding down the button - it can't be dangerous like other systems that move the seats / mirrors / steering all the way to their final positions in one go - so Lexus - give us a break and let the buttons work while the car is moving!

I feel that in trying to explain i've confused everyone even more... oh well...
Old 05-08-06, 09:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

No - what i'm saying is that on our GS3's the button moves the seats/mirrors/steering only while you hold down the button - and stops adjusting when you release the button, but unlike the bimmers & mercs i've tried - the GS3 adjustment only works when the car is in park.

My point is that so long as the adjustment takes place while you're holding down the button - it can't be dangerous like other systems that move the seats / mirrors / steering all the way to their final positions in one go - so Lexus - give us a break and let the buttons work while the car is moving!

ummm.... i gotta go and try it again, but i think it would be very stupid if lexus change the design and now you have to hold down the botton for the memory seat action to take place

on my gs400 and sc430, as long as the car is in park, just a press of the botton and i can continue with my burger if i want?

someone else with 06 can comment?
Old 05-08-06, 03:54 PM
PeteV
Driver School Candidate

Default One touch

Originally Posted by rominl
ummm.... i gotta go and try it again, but i think it would be very stupid if lexus change the design and now you have to hold down the botton for the memory seat action to take place

on my gs400 and sc430, as long as the car is in park, just a press of the botton and i can continue with my burger if i want?

someone else with 06 can comment?
I did it today, and all it took was one touch of the button, and it adjusted completely. I did not have to hold it down.
Old 05-08-06, 05:14 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Err, I'm afraid that's incorrect. The buttons on my GS are one-touch.
Old 05-08-06, 09:23 PM
ajcsanders
Driver

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Err, I'm afraid that's incorrect. The buttons on my GS are one-touch.
sorry guys for all the confusion! I realise now that i'm so used to my previous car that i've been holding down the button until it stops adjusting I'll shut my mouth...
Old 05-08-06, 10:23 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry guys for all the confusion! I realise now that i'm so used to my previous car that i've been holding down the button until it stops adjusting I'll shut my mouth...
Ha, no problem...a honest mistake
Old 05-08-06, 10:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

yup, no problem at all man, it's all good, like jay said, honest mistake all we want is to make sure the right info is spread to public
Old 05-09-06, 09:47 AM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rokinkead
rominl had it right. When you hit the button, the seat goes straight to the positon in memory. If the wrong button gets hit in normal driving, you can end up with the seats up by the wheel, and the wheel down in your lap. That is certain crash (no steering and pedal control) posture. It has happened to me when adjusting in park.

If one needs to make slight changes while driving, use the adjustment buttons. Those make incremental adjustments, so they do not present a danger while driving.

Any vehicle without that safeguard is a liability for the manufacturer.
That's true, the seats make sense, but those damn mirror adjustments can be a pain to access w/ the steering wheel in the way... The mirrors were my major concern. And it would be much better when you "hold" the button, the adjustments are made. So if you do hit the wrong button, just release to stop movement.
Old 05-09-06, 09:48 AM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

I second you... no worries man.. you've got at least 1 friend here.. HAHA!!
Old 05-09-06, 12:05 PM
longjohn
Rookie

Default Not that it's a big deal, but....

I agree with all the stated reasons for the driver not being able to use seat memory while driving, but there's no reason to put the same restriction on the passenger seat.
Old 05-09-06, 05:40 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by longjohn
I agree with all the stated reasons for the driver not being able to use seat memory while driving, but there's no reason to put the same restriction on the passenger seat.
I second that. Can't stop hearing the b*tch*ng from my girl... "The bimmer could do it!"
Old 05-09-06, 11:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by longjohn
that one for sure is "stupid" imho, i have NO idea why lexus has to refrain passenger from pressing that button as well..... same on my sc430, totally weird
Old 05-11-06, 06:06 PM
larrs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was thinking about this on my drive home tonight. I think (might be imagining) that the side mirrors are not quite going back to the memorized position after reversing or folding, not sure which. I usually don't notice this until I'm already driving, and as pointed out in this thread, you have to stop and put the car in park to use the memory setting.

Also, I had a Passat and in that car, the memory only worked with the ignition off. Really annoying if someone moved the seat. You had to actually shut off the engine to return to the memory position (mirrors too). That was worse than this.