GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Q&A... Help w/ Seats Pls!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-06, 04:02 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Q&A... Help w/ Seats Pls!

Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to read this and any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, WTH is going on with the memory seats?! For some reason, the presets only function when the car is stopped. I noticed this when I was washing the car and bent my mirror glass out of position. I forgot to adjust the mirrors back into position until I was already on the road and I tried pressing the memory preset button to move them back into preset position, but it didn't work. The moment I pulled over to figure out what was wrong, it worked???

Then, my girl has the passenger presets set as well. she layed the seat down to take a nap on a long trip and when she tried pressing the passenger preset to her setting, it didn't work either. When I parked the car, I tried it and it moved back to her setting.

Is this something others have experienced and/or is there a fix for this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-06-06, 04:11 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2001 Chevy Tahoe is the same way. You can't operate the memory setting while the car is in drive.
Old 05-06-06, 04:20 PM
Enclenta
Rookie

The shifter has to be in Park in order for the adjustments to be activated.
Old 05-06-06, 04:34 PM
OGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normal people adjust their seat or mirrors BEFORE they start driving! hahahahhahaha....sorry Dave, just had to.
Old 05-06-06, 04:38 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OGS
Normal people adjust their seat or mirrors BEFORE they start driving! hahahahhahaha....sorry Dave, just had to.
I'm gonna have to kill you Ray... really... I know where you live... Next time I watch your car when you go out of town, I'm gonna... You'll see!!!
Old 05-06-06, 04:39 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the reply guys. Ok, Now that I know it's not just me, is there a fix?
Old 05-06-06, 05:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm, not sure if there is a fix. it's more of a safety feature anyway, you don't want your seats moving around when you are driving
Old 05-06-06, 06:50 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
umm, not sure if there is a fix. it's more of a safety feature anyway, you don't want your seats moving around when you are driving
I like to move my seats when I'm driving, especially during dawn/dusk when the sun is usually eye level, I like to move the seat so I'm higher up so it's not as much of a pain. I usually like to have the seat far back and tilted, but if I ever encounter a situation where the sun is a factor(like if its directly in the corner of my eye), I like to move it so its not noticable.
Old 05-06-06, 07:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Julez
I like to move my seats when I'm driving, especially during dawn/dusk when the sun is usually eye level, I like to move the seat so I'm higher up so it's not as much of a pain. I usually like to have the seat far back and tilted, but if I ever encounter a situation where the sun is a factor(like if its directly in the corner of my eye), I like to move it so its not noticable.
you missed my point, i will use myself as example

i am 5'7", and my wife is 5', for sure our seating position is vey different. imagine if i am driving 80mph on the freeway and accidentally pressed on the memory seat button that corresponds to my wife's position. see that?

with self adjustment, it's little and little so it's easier. that's probably why they didn't "disable" it when the car is moving
Old 05-06-06, 08:04 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you missed my point, i will use myself as example

i am 5'7", and my wife is 5', for sure our seating position is vey different. imagine if i am driving 80mph on the freeway and accidentally pressed on the memory seat button that corresponds to my wife's position. see that?

with self adjustment, it's little and little so it's easier. that's probably why they didn't "disable" it when the car is moving
I hear ya but what they should include is a lock button for the seats so, like in your situation, you dont accidently push the wrong memory button.
Old 05-06-06, 09:29 PM
ajcsanders
Driver

My Merc CLK used to allow memory seat adjustment while driving, and I have to admit I got used to that - whenever I noticed that my mirrors had been moved i'd just touch the memory button and they'd pop right back into place.

Since I got my GS3, i've gotten used to holding down the One button when I open up the car...it sort of reaffirms my status as Number One - my wife never really took to being Number Two - and put her settings on 3
Old 05-07-06, 04:48 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ajcsanders
My Merc CLK used to allow memory seat adjustment while driving, and I have to admit I got used to that - whenever I noticed that my mirrors had been moved i'd just touch the memory button and they'd pop right back into place.
same with my bimmer... Found it very useful...
Old 05-07-06, 05:26 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

don't think there is anyway around it...i noticed that on our families lexus's...heh...used to have a bmw and u could change it while driving...but oh well...not too big a deal for me...
Old 05-07-06, 08:34 PM
rokinkead
Driver School Candidate

rominl had it right. When you hit the button, the seat goes straight to the positon in memory. If the wrong button gets hit in normal driving, you can end up with the seats up by the wheel, and the wheel down in your lap. That is certain crash (no steering and pedal control) posture. It has happened to me when adjusting in park.

If one needs to make slight changes while driving, use the adjustment buttons. Those make incremental adjustments, so they do not present a danger while driving.

Any vehicle without that safeguard is a liability for the manufacturer.
Old 05-07-06, 09:50 PM
ajcsanders
Driver

Originally Posted by rokinkead
rominl had it right. When you hit the button, the seat goes straight to the positon in memory. If the wrong button gets hit in normal driving, you can end up with the seats up by the wheel, and the wheel down in your lap. That is certain crash (no steering and pedal control) posture. It has happened to me when adjusting in park.

If one needs to make slight changes while driving, use the adjustment buttons. Those make incremental adjustments, so they do not present a danger while driving.

Any vehicle without that safeguard is a liability for the manufacturer.
But...the thing about the bimmer / merc systems (at least the ones i've come across) was that you had to hold down the memory button - once you let go it stopped adjusting...so you wouldn't likely be in a situation where the car squashed you against the steering wheel....our GS3's also have that feature - on top of the system not letting you adjust it unless the car is in Park...

Quick Reply: Q&A... Help w/ Seats Pls!