GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

17000 MILES and WHEEL ALLIGNMENT NEEDED!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-06, 01:13 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17000 MILES and WHEEL ALLIGNMENT NEEDED!?!?

SO i posted a thread at the SOCAL section regarding replacing my rear tire/s. Got some great advice but unfortunately i had to replace both rear tires and rotate them to the front. Well here is the problem...AS soon as i took the car out of the shop on the road the car started to poin towards the right...not too aggresively but definately noticable.

Took it back and i was told by the mechanic that the only thing he can think of is the front wheel allignment. He thinks there is nothing wrong with the tires and they were properly balanced. i am taking the car in next week ti have them take a look at it..

Wht do you guys think that does a car with 17K miles highway, mostly bump free driven car needs a allignment???
Old 05-14-06, 05:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by NYlexus
SO i posted a thread at the SOCAL section regarding replacing my rear tire/s. Got some great advice but unfortunately i had to replace both rear tires and rotate them to the front. Well here is the problem...AS soon as i took the car out of the shop on the road the car started to poin towards the right...not too aggresively but definately noticable.

Took it back and i was told by the mechanic that the only thing he can think of is the front wheel allignment. He thinks there is nothing wrong with the tires and they were properly balanced. i am taking the car in next week ti have them take a look at it..

Wht do you guys think that does a car with 17K miles highway, mostly bump free driven car needs a allignment???
That is great actually, 17,000 miles. Anything can knock an alignment off, a speedbump, a pothole, so I think this is very fair.
Old 05-14-06, 07:52 PM
highmiles
Pole Position

I was told a long time ago by a mechanic that new cars as a general rule are usually out of alignment. It has something to do with tolerances and the stress of shipping. It was suggested to me that the first thing to do when you buy a new car is to have it aligned.

Even though I did this with my 06 GS I ran into an alignment issue at about 8000 that eventually caused me to replace my OEM tires. Been working good ever since and I have not needed an alignment since. I have changes my brakes and rotors but have not had any problems with alignment.
Old 05-14-06, 11:30 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Ali, definitely get the alignment. You already know how bad our Inland Empire freeways are as far as hazards. Definitely get the alignment checked out. Make sure you go to a place that has a Hunter DSP600 alignment machine. All Lexus dealers have them, but there are other reputable local shops that have the same machine. Most Firestone locations have them as well.
Old 05-15-06, 05:47 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

IMO...Every 10-15k you should keep the car aligned.. and every 3k to have the tires rotated and balanced.. With 17k the car is ready to have a alignment on it.. Especially if the car is driving on rough roads ie, bumps, potholes, etc..
Old 05-15-06, 10:14 AM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

WOW...it seems like the YAYS have it I am taking the car in this week. I'll update you guys.

Originally Posted by flipside909
Ali, definitely get the alignment. You already know how bad our Inland Empire freeways are as far as hazards. Definitely get the alignment checked out. Make sure you go to a place that has a Hunter DSP600 alignment machine. All Lexus dealers have them, but there are other reputable local shops that have the same machine. Most Firestone locations have them as well.

I hear ya man....IE does have its "bumpy roads." My wife drives the car most of the time and she takes 10W and then a local road in Pomona . BTW speaking of LEXUS dealerships, i hate to be a cheapstake considering i bought a 50K+ car but by going to DISCOUNT TIRE i saved about $250 on my 2 new tires. The dealer was charging me $292 for 1 tire and I ended up paying $355 for 2 balanced and mounted. The point is the dealership really kill you sometime.

I'll check out FIRESTONE.

Thanks bud.
Old 05-15-06, 02:57 PM
rjjr
Driver School Candidate

At 1,500 miles I had the dealer install new tires. I also asked them to do an alignment. They said it wouldn't need it as the car would have been aligned three times before it got to the dealer.....(yea right). So I told them to do the alignment anyway and if it was perfectly aligned I'd pay for it, if not they had to do it for free.

Guess what.........the alignment was off.........lol
Old 05-15-06, 08:50 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Before modifying I sent my car to the dealer 2 times for warranty alignments with under 700 miles. It would pull to the left. After lowering I had it aligned again by the shop that installed the springs. It seems okay now.
Old 05-16-06, 05:52 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjr
At 1,500 miles I had the dealer install new tires. I also asked them to do an alignment. They said it wouldn't need it as the car would have been aligned three times before it got to the dealer.....(yea right). So I told them to do the alignment anyway and if it was perfectly aligned I'd pay for it, if not they had to do it for free.

Guess what.........the alignment was off.........lol
Wow 1500 miles? What happened.. Uneven wear... Thats not many miles to have to replace tires already.. Maybe they were faulty tires from the factory.