GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Saying goodbye and moving next door

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-06, 06:26 AM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saying goodbye and moving next door

For the last nine months I've been on this board almost daily. Many of you probably have been following the issues I have had with the GS. I've been through two 06's and losing the second transmission is where I draw the line. I love the car, but it has too many issues for me to justify the 50k price tag.

The problems for me have been absolutely ridiculous. Dashboard creeks and pops that the dealer cannot fix, two transmissions in less than 2000 miles, and few other things, that are in my opinion design flaws. The creaking and popping was just the most obnoxious thing. The dealer basically could not fix it. So I started test driving other GS's on the lot and other GS's from other dealers. They all did it. Even the first GS I had for four months to the next one I took delivery of experienced it. The seats are really not comfortable at all, the fuel door leaves a white drip mark after every wash (impossible to get off the paint), there is a molding defect in the dash over the passenger air bag, the ML audio does not play MP3s, there is no aux audio jack, the Nav is the old Gen 4 version, no voice dialing with the bluetooth system and after two transmissions I had had enough. Looks like the transmission issues were due to a incorrectly installed gasket from the factory resulting in some kind of oil leak. They tore the car apart trying to fix it. At that point I wasn't going to take the car back with hope that it would work as new. Not to mention, all I had was 2000 miles on the car. I will say, the Lexus of Orlando dealership has by far the most impressive customer service I have ever dealt with. Just amazing.

So for one last attempt at owning a Lexus, the dealer is walking me out of my second GS into the new ES350. I test drove the car the other day and am quite blown away. After test driving the new ES for a very extended ride, it appears to exhibit none of the GS issues. From what I'm reading it sounds like the ES is an exceptional car. The ride, the room, and the technology is way above the current GS (not the 450 Hybrid, just the GS300). Not to mention all this for a much more reasonable price tag.

Now before everyone starts flaming me, I know the ES is no GS, (trust me) but for me the Luxury over Sport just works better for me. Up until the redesign I would have never even looked at that car. The New ES is actually the most comfortable car I have every driven and the interior rivals the GS in many ways. The technology is quite amazing and I'm sure the GS350 will catch up when its out hopefully in October.

So, I just wanted to say that this is the best message board I have ever seen, and a lot of you helped me out in detailing the issues for the Lexus Service Center to understand the problems we have had with the 06 GS. From now on I'll be next door on the ES board.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by scottmyers; 05-20-06 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-20-06, 06:49 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear about your problems. I admire your patience and brand loyalty, because if I were in your shoes & experience this bad situatoin, it would be very easy for me to give up the brand and move elsewere due to my disgust with the vehicle.

I would imagine the newly revamped ES350 having more power & amenities would be a very close comparison to the GS300 and more luxury over sport like you mentioned. I still would get a new GS350 (when it comes out) over a ES350, simply because it would more on par with power & I would want more sportiness. But this is all subjective, since I still believe GS buyers are different than ES buyers.

Good luck to you and enjoy the new ride. You can't go wrong now!
Old 05-20-06, 07:47 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck with your new ES purchase. I hope you have a much better experience with the new ES. If I had the problems with my GS that you had, I would not be buying another Lexus of any model (unless of course Lexus/dealer made it financially very attractive).
Old 05-20-06, 08:13 AM
PoppFlyy
Pole Position

Good luck Scott with whatever you do m8.
The issues you have dealt with, are more than anyone should have too...

Old 05-20-06, 10:00 AM
LexFather

Good luck, see u down the street.
Old 05-20-06, 10:28 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about all the problems with the GS. The new ES does look like a nice car. You do realize the ES is front wheel drive and will handle completely differently than the GS. If you like the handling, then good luck with the ES.
Old 05-20-06, 10:32 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Sorry for the problems you had with the GS. Hope you have better luck with the ES350 Glad you're staying with Lexus
Old 05-20-06, 10:53 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

wow man - I'm actually surprised you stuck with Lexus after that.
Good luck with the new ES.
Old 05-20-06, 04:18 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts

Good luck with your new ES. Doesn't the ES have very different characteristics from the GS? FWD versus RWD. I also agree with giving you credit for sticking with a brand that gave you so much grief! Good luck again.
Old 05-20-06, 04:35 PM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Yes I understand that the ES is FWD and is totally different from the GS. As I said before the ES is definitely based more toward the luxury side compared to the Sport side of the GS. I think the extra room and the incredible comfort really won me over. Not to mention the technology.

I'm trying Lexus again because of their great reputation and I really feel that the GS was just released before it was really ready. Come one, the GS gets the 3 liter engine for just one year. The older Gen 4 Nav, no voice dialing, and the list goes on. I bet every one of us will be wishing for the new GS350 when its out. I'm kinda just over all the issues. I just want a car to drive that isn't a loaner any more.

I guess I will know if I made a good decision in a few weeks.
Old 05-20-06, 05:18 PM
bhuwan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scottmyers
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Yes I understand that the ES is FWD and is totally different from the GS. As I said before the ES is definitely based more toward the luxury side compared to the Sport side of the GS. I think the extra room and the incredible comfort really won me over. Not to mention the technology.

I'm trying Lexus again because of their great reputation and I really feel that the GS was just released before it was really ready. Come one, the GS gets the 3 liter engine for just one year. The older Gen 4 Nav, no voice dialing, and the list goes on. I bet every one of us will be wishing for the new GS350 when its out. I'm kinda just over all the issues. I just want a car to drive that isn't a loaner any more.

I guess I will know if I made a good decision in a few weeks.
the ES has more space & luxry that the GS??
Old 05-21-06, 12:28 AM
Raptor.1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bhuwan
the ES has more space & luxry that the GS??

More space yes, luxury no. The ES is a damn nice car though, I would be very happy in that model. I am personally happy for him.
Old 05-21-06, 06:18 AM
bhuwan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Raptor.1
More space yes, luxury no. The ES is a damn nice car though, I would be very happy in that model. I am personally happy for him.
a 40K car has more space than a 52k car? I am suprised! :
Old 05-21-06, 09:28 AM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Like I said, the ES is no GS, but damn what an upgrade for the redesign. You can't compare what you knew about the older ES. It's that much of an upgrade from the older version.
Old 05-21-06, 09:37 AM
LexFather

Understand the ES is a large car and not exported to Europe, mostly in the USA, Japan and Asia.
The GS is a sports luxury sedan, sold in Europe, and mimics the size of those Germans in its class.

The GS is smaller than the ES 330 let alone the new ES 350 in dimensions.

I found interior space to be about even, with the ES roomier.

Quick Reply: Saying goodbye and moving next door