GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

S Mode (Manumatic)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-06, 01:04 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default S Mode (Manumatic)

I've got no experience using the manumatic feature, but I'm curious as to how it works. Why does it start off in the 5th gear even if I'm not moving?
Old 06-13-06, 03:00 PM
ARM0R
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's because it got phock-ed up. It's supposed to start in 2nd or 1st gear.
+ for upshift, - for downshift. Drive slowly and give it a try. Have fun.
Old 06-13-06, 03:17 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's speed sensitive. It should gear to what your current speed is at. If you are doing 80mph, you don't want to throw it into "S" and the gear jumps down to second! blow some -ish up!!! usually, just throw it into S and down one to get the extra kick...
Old 06-13-06, 04:07 PM
drck1000
Driver

I am starting to play with that option as well. On the way home from work, after I get off the freeway, there are some uphill series turns leading up to the house where I like to use this option. At first I also did notice that the display showed gear 5, but in those instances, it was always when I was just coasting. When at a stop light, I remember shifting it into the S mode and then shifting it down until it was in 1st and then going from there. I guess I should play around with that option some more. I have noticed that it makes the average MPG go way down. I guess the transmission is pretty fuel efficient in comparison.

I do remember when I test drove the IS350 and the display showed you in which gear you were at even without the S mode.
Old 06-13-06, 08:10 PM
kb2yza
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as i posted else where a while back...

The trans does down shift while in S mode to prevent you from stalling the engine (i.e. stopping with out downshifting man). If you happen to leave the Selector in S and up at 6th gear the car will drive like a normal automatic for the most part. When you com into a stop in S mode it only makes sense to down shift it youself to save on brakes however if you leave it in 5 or 6 the car will act just the same as it does when in D but the indicator will always say 5 or 6 as this is more of a limit you set the trans to than it is a gear selector. In other words if you were to set it to 3 while you are stopped at a light the car will shift up to 3rd but not pass it as you accelerate out from the light. Same when stopping.

--Pete

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175067
Old 06-14-06, 11:34 AM
knicker
Pole Position

does any one know if this is true.....I was told by a tech that you should really use this option unless you are going down hill ( so you dont eat up your brakes) apparently its real hard on the tranny....... i guess it will burn the tranny up quicker if you are shifting through all the gear instead of just leaving it in auto????
Old 06-14-06, 01:22 PM
jwa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by knicker
does any one know if this is true.....I was told by a tech that you should really use this option unless you are going down hill ( so you dont eat up your brakes) apparently its real hard on the tranny....... i guess it will burn the tranny up quicker if you are shifting through all the gear instead of just leaving it in auto????
The info the tech gave you is partially true for s-mode in the 450H. According to the owners manual, s-mode is used to determine the amount of engine braking force you want. It also states that the gears will automatically range up as speed increases. However, I think that rather than causing extra wear on the brakes, engine braking force would cause less brake wear and more tranny wear. Because the CVT doesn't have fixed gears, it's somewhat ambiguous as to what s-mode really does to provide the extra braking force.

S-Mode for the 300 and 430 is different, but still isn't meant to be used as a substitute for a manual transmission; It's meant to keep the car in a specific gear on occassions like going up or down steep hills or making quick passes. I only use it for passing - drop down to 4, give it the gas, put some distance between myself and traffic, and then put it back in auto.
Old 06-14-06, 01:28 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jwa
S-Mode for the 300 and 430 is different, but still isn't meant to be used as a substitute for a manual transmission; It's meant to keep the car in a specific gear on occassions like going up or down steep hills or making quick passes. I only use it for passing - drop down to 4, give it the gas, put some distance between myself and traffic, and then put it back in auto.
Does it give you a big boost of acceleration?
Old 06-14-06, 02:52 PM
jwa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SGT
Does it give you a big boost of acceleration?
Yes!!!!!!!
Old 06-14-06, 03:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

wow.

Ok, so this is how it works. When you move into S mode, what happens is you regulate MAXIMUM gear for the transmission. So if you set it to 5, it is an maximum gear transmission will be in. If you stop the car, it will select lower gears obviously, you are not actually driving in 5th gear at 5 mph :-).

If you are not lazy, you can use it as manumatic, changing gears up and down completly, and it will work well. However, if you simply want to keep it in lower gears for maximum power, it will keep the maximum gear, and downshifts as it sees fit.
Old 06-14-06, 03:53 PM
jwa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
wow.

Ok, so this is how it works. When you move into S mode, what happens is you regulate MAXIMUM gear for the transmission. So if you set it to 5, it is an maximum gear transmission will be in. If you stop the car, it will select lower gears obviously, you are not actually driving in 5th gear at 5 mph :-).

If you are not lazy, you can use it as manumatic, changing gears up and down completly, and it will work well. However, if you simply want to keep it in lower gears for maximum power, it will keep the maximum gear, and downshifts as it sees fit.
If your refering to the GS 300 or 430, yes. If your refering to the 450H, no.
Old 06-21-06, 11:00 AM
knicker
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jwa
The info the tech gave you is partially true for s-mode in the 450H. According to the owners manual, s-mode is used to determine the amount of engine braking force you want. It also states that the gears will automatically range up as speed increases. However, I think that rather than causing extra wear on the brakes, engine braking force would cause less brake wear and more tranny wear. Because the CVT doesn't have fixed gears, it's somewhat ambiguous as to what s-mode really does to provide the extra braking force.

So in a sense he was right but it can be used but not abused it what it sounds like to me. I personally have 22's so I am not really doing a whole lot of haulin ***. But thanks for clearing it up for me.
Old 06-21-06, 02:50 PM
ivanpetrov
Driver School Candidate

I wouldn't necessarily say it will wear the transmission faster, though. The car has to shift at some point no matter what. With S mode, you are just delaying or speeding the timing of that shift. It is possible that you will do much more shifting, but it depends how you drive. You essentially guarantee lower milage unless you just leave it in 6 all the time, but what's the point of that? It's more of an extention of the ECT. Go snow, normal, power, S mode, essentially.
Old 06-21-06, 07:47 PM
kb2yza
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am still trying to figure this one out but I am getting better gas milage in "S" Mode.
24.2 vs 25.5
Only a little over a mile on the gallon but i was just enjoying being able to shift the car and having it do what I want it to do. And see i am getting better milage