GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My experience with NAV-TV and SAVV

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-06, 11:03 AM
Budd28
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience with NAV-TV and SAVV

OK the job is just about finished just some minor fabrication work to be done in the glove box next Tuesday. But heres the scoop for GS300 non M/L

From some research there are a variety of choices to convert the navigation screen to allow for an external video source. I chose Nav-TV because they have a unit that will allow for connecting your audio directly vice using and FM mod, but I can't say right now whether or not I would recommend this company. So far I wouldnt but my opinion may change in a few days.

First the cons:
1. The unit retail is $800 versus $200 to $300 standard units with only diff being the sound.
2. The unit arrived with no instructions or diagrams whatsoever. They want it that way.
3. They seem to be secretive about how the unit works so requires any installer to be on
the phone the entire time through the install process. It isnt the standard intall for
normal NAV converters. Which usually goes pretty quick.
4. The unit itself felt very cheap and simple ( though if it does the job then who cares i guess)
5. The unit came and caused an entire day of heartache on monday only to find out it was a
faulty part and didnt work at all. They did overnight a new unit that same day though.
6. They claimed to have done this on an 06 GS already but the tech support the first day
had the installer searching wrong wires and naming colors wrong to look for.
7. Whenever I talk to any of the sales reps on the phone over there they seem very rushed and
I feel like they dont wanna be on the phone or help alot.
8. So far the audio doesnt work even with the installers being on the phone with the tech
support constantly. The tech support seems to be like try this and try that alot. So I have to
go back next week so they can try some more options.
9. Only one external video source is allowed. (Not that I need 2 or more though) some units
offer multiple external sources so you know (back up cams etc.. event though we already
have that)

Pro's:
1. Video is working great. I notice now that when I'm using the external video source that
when I hit the display button to the left of the Nav screen there are some extra options for
adjusting the video( not just brightness) I'm guessing this is the same with the M/L. I'm not
sure how the M/L accesses the DVD function but I must hit the CD button once to switch over.
2. No external switch needed at all.
3. Speed sensor is bypassed through the box. Cant tell you if it affects the bluetooth.
4. If it gets working then no FM mod for better audio. Actually the audio does work when they
hook it up a certain way but the volume is so low that even with the volume turned all the way
up you can hardly hear it.

I also sent one of my headrests off to SAVV mobile multimedia to get the material and stich pattern matched and had them build me two new ones. IMO they came out very well, actually better than I expected. The material and stich came out flawless and very professional. They are both 7". These have also been installed and work great and the shapes is good also.

For an external source I chose a slim modded PS2 for DVD playback which is mounted on motorized rails on the upper shelf next to the navigation unit in the glovebox. I chose to use the PS2 for several reasons over a standard DVD player. It's a perfect fit and it allows me to playback DVD, CD vid, Divx, other AVI and video formats and a hard drive if I decide later plus almost any kind of audio format, if I wanna use it for that, and not to mention games if passengers wanna play.

I will post pics tonight.
Old 06-15-06, 08:22 PM
RidinGS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Bud for the info, I also have a non M/L and looking what's the best way to go. Let me know how it went for you in the long run.
Old 06-16-06, 09:17 AM
Budd28
Rookie

Default Pics

Here are a few photos so far

The Nav-TV unit

Nav out of dash

New options

Headrests from the rear (headrests have tilt feature)

Headrests from the front