GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2007 GS350 is OUT now!!! Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-06, 05:59 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Faheta
Handling is very important. It not only adds "fun" to driving, it adds safety. I don't wish it on anybody, but once in a while, we all run into those "oh *****" moments. The car's ability to follow your command could be difference between "pheeeew..." versus "woo woo" (ambulance ... sorry )
That's very true. However, the majority of drivers on the road today do not take advantage of race tracks or racing events. I also don't recommend speeding through corners in residential areas to see how well a car handles.

With regards to safety, there are other technologies to help in those situations as well. Great handling cars aren't necessarily safer to manuever than lesser-handling cars.
Old 07-21-06, 06:13 PM
Nas
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
The GS350 will complete destroy the 530i with nearly 50 more hp, and be almost as fast as the 550i, even with a 57 hp and 2-cylinder disadvantage.
I dunno. With the E90 3 being produced as the 335i soon, it'll only be time till the 530 becomes the 535. With that new biturbo engine, BMW will be ready.
Old 07-21-06, 07:14 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nas
I dunno. With the E90 3 being produced as the 335i soon, it'll only be time till the 530 becomes the 535. With that new biturbo engine, BMW will be ready.
good point. Lexis is, however, ahead of the game right now. I think that's good. In the end, consumers benefit from all these things.
Old 07-21-06, 10:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Nas
do they really compare? 335i will be significantly more expensive than IS350, without being faster...
Old 07-22-06, 12:52 AM
kissbang
Pole Position

Yeah, visited Lexus of Serramonte today and they said they won't get it until at least the Fall.
Old 07-22-06, 12:55 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mixman
I feel you on this. You are right. Just because the GS350 is out or soon to be, doesn't make the GS300 crap. Frankly since I now do 95% straight highway miles I don't need the extra horsepower and if the GS300 anf the GS350 was out at the same time and the 300 was 46k and 350 was 52K I would still probably take the 300. So for me the add'l HP and maybe even the better Nav isn't woth the extra 6K or so I would have to pay to get it. Now if they had changed the body style to something better............Hmmmm maybe then.

Oh, and I got my GS300 by trading in my C5 Vette and on the highway I still am not missing the HP. I do like the extra money in my pocket come fillup time !!!
You are saying it to make yourself better only. There is no way 350 cost $52k, considering 430 only cost that much. There would be probably one thousand dollars increase compared to the current 300, in my opinion it is worth it to have that much horsepower and torque. I agree that 300 is not crap, but definitely not as fast as 350, that you MUST admit. It is always better off to have more when paying the same.
Old 07-22-06, 07:18 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jrock65
The 2007 Camry V6 has been clocked at 6.1s (R&T). The fastest time for the 2006 GS300 RWD is 6.8s.
Just saw it on Motorweek this morning. They clocked 07 Camery V6 at 6.8sec (0-60).
Old 07-22-06, 07:52 AM
Nas
Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
do they really compare? 335i will be significantly more expensive than IS350, without being faster...
Yes. Lexus has the IS aimed at the 3. The 3 is the benchmark. Although my family has owned a bunch of Lexus', I'm a fan of BMW, Lexus, and MB. I like certain cars/Suvs in each company. But, my personal opinion is that the 3 is better than the IS. But, this comes from the point of view was it being a sport sedan. Lexus is not far behind. The IS has a vastly superior interior than the BMW (including the Nav). But, I'm not a fan of the exterior.

In terms of pricing, well I think there are a few reasons for the big difference. 1) The Germans can afford to have their price higher. Why? Because of Prestige and Presence. Lexus is improving, but the heritage of MB and BMW will keep them ahead for now (the present). 2) The 3 is the leading seller in this class. BMW can afford to keep the prices expensive.

Each company can has their pros and cons. But, I think Lexus catches up in sales in certain categories due to the price difference. Stats might prove me wrong, but I think Lexus exceeds in sales for the ES and RX. Both are greatly equipped cars and are a lot of what the market is looking for. But when it comes to the 3 and IS, the 3 is the benchmark and has the prestige factor. This is why I think the IS is priced lower, to gather more sales. Same with the GS competing with the E class. The same with the LS compared to the S. With the new LS coming out, it'll be interesting how many LWB models they sell.

But different cars for different folks for different reasons. It's about what the best decision is for you. I have hated Lexus V6s until I drove the IS350. The thing is a beast. But BMW had to catch up due to Lexus and Infiniti. The 'Benchmark' cannot be behind in a numbers game and still be worthy of sporty, in the eyes of most of automobile shoppers.

I went on a tangent, so hopefully you guys can deal with me
Old 07-22-06, 09:29 AM
Mixman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
You are saying it to make yourself better only. There is no way 350 cost $52k, considering 430 only cost that much. There would be probably one thousand dollars increase compared to the current 300, in my opinion it is worth it to have that much horsepower and torque. I agree that 300 is not crap, but definitely not as fast as 350, that you MUST admit. It is always better off to have more when paying the same.
Most people will not pay the same amount. The 300 can be had at invoice or below now. Unless you have a hook up with a dealer most people will pay full pop, MSRP, on the 350 until supplies equal demand.
Old 07-22-06, 10:17 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheSupe87
i love the number increases...LOL 300, 350, 400, 430, 446

nissan 200sx, 240sx, 300zx, 350z

bmw - every car they make

Come on you automotive jerks, lets get more creative with the names! They spend hours on designing, over engineering, and they can't even think of anything better than an increasing number.
uh, it tends to correspond to the engine size. The first two letters denote the model and the last two are the engine size (although BMW has been known to round up and down for marketing purposes).
Old 07-22-06, 11:41 AM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Faheta
Lexus might have reduced the throttle response on the new GS350 to maintain the "Lexus smooth" character. If I'm not mistaken, an average GS buyer is 40+ years old with fairly conservative driving spirit. Lexus probably tries to avoid the demographic that BMW owns. i.e. "Sport" sedans.

I'm a big fan of the current GS but one thing that is holding me back is the lack of a factory sports package. I know I know, yall might say that I could always get after-market custom wheels, springs, etc. but I'd prefer that peace-of-mind from factory-designed, factory-tested, and non-warranty-voiding set up. BMW (which I currently own) and Mercedes understand this.

Well, I can't wait to see what Lexus has in store for GS350 & GS460 ...
spring, shocks and wheels will NOT void the warranty.

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Son of a *&^% ........ oh well, i've had mine for 13 months already, you gotta live in it for the now, not for a yr from now, etc, besides it may be a few months yet before you get down to 500 over invoice, which is what i paid....besides, the 06 gs is pretty quick anyways
try a year or more before you can get it anywhere near invoice....or when the 08's come out.

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
good point. Lexis is, however, ahead of the game right now. I think that's good. In the end, consumers benefit from all these things.
yeah...ahead for the first time in ever. hahahha! they've always been behind on the numbers.
Old 07-22-06, 11:44 AM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

Originally Posted by doug_999
uh, it tends to correspond to the engine size. The first two letters denote the model and the last two are the engine size (although BMW has been known to round up and down for marketing purposes).
exactly what i was going to say. hehe.
Old 07-22-06, 01:57 PM
LexFather

Guys, I question our maturity when we call an older car crap when a new model is out.
As I recall THROUGH AUTO HISTORY, that is all that happens. Cars get bigger engines. The only time this didn't happen was during the 70s.

Its not outdated. Its called evolution. EVERY car maker does it, excuse me, the SMART ones do.

Lexus went what 13 years with the GS 300, 1GS to 2GS. 13 years. The SAME engine, different body styles.

13 years.

In the 3GS they finally update the engine but its till a 3.0 liter. And yes, in 2 years a new car comes.

What exactly is the problem? Its not like the car is getting a totally new face or bodystyle in 3 years, like some other companies.

Not sure what the issue is...

Old 07-22-06, 01:59 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

Considering that the GS is not an inexpensive car, and considering that it was never an overwhelming success as the 2006 GS300, I do not expect, other than on these Forums, that it is going to do gang busters at the dealerships. Of course this is my opinion, but the extra HP and better Nav is not going to push this car over the top with so much competition out there. The M35 is certainly not doing poorly, and there are competitors all around and forming all the time. 50 big ones gives much thought to a buyer as far as his or her choices. I will go on further to say, I don't believe it will take all that long before the full MSRP price prediction for the GS350 will settle down to the normal few bucks over tissue when the initial "frenzy" subsides. Six months to a year.......... the most! Then we can buy these cars for that comfortable $500 over invoice. I might be wrong, but the GS350 is not a phenomenon or retro car like so many other cars being introduced......... and even those cars come back to reality eventually. I guess we will have to see. For myself, I am not paying MSRP for a few extra horsepower and better Nav. I like the car, but can wait for reality to set in.
Old 07-22-06, 04:22 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Guys, I question our maturity when we call an older car crap when a new model is out.
As I recall THROUGH AUTO HISTORY, that is all that happens. Cars get bigger engines. The only time this didn't happen was during the 70s.

Its not outdated. Its called evolution. EVERY car maker does it, excuse me, the SMART ones do.

Lexus went what 13 years with the GS 300, 1GS to 2GS. 13 years. The SAME engine, different body styles.

13 years.

In the 3GS they finally update the engine but its till a 3.0 liter. And yes, in 2 years a new car comes.

What exactly is the problem? Its not like the car is getting a totally new face or bodystyle in 3 years, like some other companies.

Not sure what the issue is...
Good call Mike. The 3GS people got their new GSs 2 years before the upcoming GS350 people. It's already a new bodystyle. Updated engines happen everywhere throughout the auto industry. The GTO guys and their LS1/LS2, the new 330i guys with the upcoming 335i, etc. etc. It's a natural progression of the industry with technology.

Quick Reply: 2007 GS350 is OUT now!!! Wow!