GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

sunroof problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-06, 03:08 PM
knicker
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sunroof problems

Whats up fellas has anybody else had problems with their sunroofs? My only closes when it feels like it. From the research that I have done there seems to be alot of problems with the sunroofs on these cars. Is there anything I can do fix it or should I just take it in?

As always thanks!
Old 08-07-06, 04:40 PM
jwa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by knicker
Whats up fellas has anybody else had problems with their sunroofs? My only closes when it feels like it. From the research that I have done there seems to be alot of problems with the sunroofs on these cars. Is there anything I can do fix it or should I just take it in?

As always thanks!
The only complaints I'm aware of are relating to a small amount of wind noise. If your sunroof won't close, it's definitly broken and is not a common issue. Personally, I wouldn't open the sunrof if I couldn't be 100% certain it would close again.
Old 08-07-06, 05:21 PM
soflGSguy
Rookie

I had a problem with my first GS”2006” sunroof when the took off the battery they never reset the sunroof so it wouldn’t close all the way, bring it in if its that it is a 2 sec fix.

Last edited by soflGSguy; 08-07-06 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-07-06, 10:15 PM
ajcsanders
Driver

When the ambient temperature is really high (110 F +) and the car is left out in the sun, mine makes a grinding noise while opening it. I now use the side windows to cool the car so as to avoid possibly damaging it.

If your sunroof problems are not battery related, I wonder if they could be heat related?
Old 08-08-06, 12:00 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As always thanks!
I have an intermittent problem when using the tilt function. When I try closing it, it shuts and then goes back to the tilt position. It takes 4-5 tries before the sunroof remains shut. Damn first year bugs.
Old 08-08-06, 12:55 PM
dakine
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
I have an intermittent problem when using the tilt function. When I try closing it, it shuts and then goes back to the tilt position. It takes 4-5 tries before the sunroof remains shut. Damn first year bugs.
I just got my GS 300 a month ago and that was my first problem as I drove home! I don't know if you've already tried this, but this is what the tech told me.

Hold the "UP" button (not "open") down for several seconds (like 10-15) - it will go thru a routine of tilting open>>then closing>> then fully opening all the way. supposedly this resets the sunroof settings. [i'm pretty sure it was the "up" button, if that doesn't work then try holding down the "open" button]
Old 08-08-06, 02:12 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dakine
I just got my GS 300 a month ago and that was my first problem as I drove home! I don't know if you've already tried this, but this is what the tech told me.

Hold the "UP" button (not "open") down for several seconds (like 10-15) - it will go thru a routine of tilting open>>then closing>> then fully opening all the way. supposedly this resets the sunroof settings. [i'm pretty sure it was the "up" button, if that doesn't work then try holding down the "open" button]
Ha, thanks for the tip. I'll try this out later tonight.

I haven't opened my sunroof since it's been so warm lately.
Old 08-08-06, 02:58 PM
knicker
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jwa
The only complaints I'm aware of are relating to a small amount of wind noise. If your sunroof won't close, it's definitly broken and is not a common issue. Personally, I wouldn't open the sunrof if I couldn't be 100% certain it would close again.

No wind noise it just wont close all the time. Its funny my girlfriend was the customer relations manager for a lexus dealership and she was telling me about common complaints and the sunroof was a major one.
Old 08-08-06, 02:59 PM
knicker
Pole Position

I will try it thanks!
Old 08-08-06, 03:32 PM
dakine
Driver School Candidate

I will try it thanks!
oh yeah, I think you have to have the engine off in "acc" mode. My sunroof works fine now. good luck.
Old 08-09-06, 09:25 PM
soflGSguy
Rookie

That’s what the dealer did to fix my sunroof problem of it not closing, that’s what I meant by resetting it lol I just did not remember how to do it. Hope dakine tip help you fixed it, and that its not some other problem.
Old 10-03-07, 07:06 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

oh yeah, I think you have to have the engine off in "acc" mode. My sunroof works fine now. good luck.
thanks for the info as I finally was able to have this reset after disconnecting my battery.
Old 10-04-07, 09:10 AM
RufRidn
Pole Position

Havent experienced that problem in this car but in my ex's 98 gs it would always have that problem. It would work only when it wanted to.
Old 10-04-07, 10:04 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

thanks for the info...the RX400h had the problem...and now its fixed!!!....thanks again!
Old 10-05-07, 08:34 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

The only problem I have ever had with my sunroof was/is the "crackling".
Every year about 3 times a year I have to take it in to get it siliconed becuase the damn things squeeks. So annoying. Makes me not even want the sunroof.

You'd think they could do something to fix it. They just say "it's caused from dust and I need to keep it cleaner". I'm like "what the hell are you talking about... I own a detailing company I definetly know and do keep it as clean if not cleaner than anyones around." "There is no way that's the reason, but ok watever."
Anyways, it's crackling again. Just don't feel like wasting even one minute taking my car in for a 5 minute silicone job. How annoying.

Quick Reply: sunroof problems