GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

A dumb question, where's the wheel lock key?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-06, 12:20 PM
larrs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default A dumb question, where's the wheel lock key?

So ... I was thinking about my recent 5,000 mile complimentary service, and wondering why it didn't include a tire rotation. I checked the owner's manual, and sure enough, tire rotation is supposed to be done at 5,000 miles. I don't know why the dealer didn't do this. In fact, their own "Factory Maintenance Handbook" specifies it.

Figured I just do the rotation myself this afternoon, but I cannot find the wheel lock key anywhere. Not in the glovebox or center console, not in the tool tray in the trunk, not strapped to the jack.

I searched the forums here and found some threads describing where to look for the key on other Lexus models, but not on the 3GS.

I'm going to head to the dealer tomorrow and insist that they do the tire rotation they should have done, but before I also make an issue of not having the wheel lock key, can someone please tell me where to look for it? Maybe I'm just overlooking the obvious.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-06, 01:06 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you looked there already but on my 06 GX470, the lock was in a little pouch which was attached to the rubber strap that holds the jack in place.
Old 08-27-06, 02:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

usually it's put together with the tools in the back. if you can't find it, you should contact your sales person
Old 08-27-06, 03:03 PM
larrs
Driver

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Sounds like you looked there already but on my 06 GX470, the lock was in a little pouch which was attached to the rubber strap that holds the jack in place.
Thanks. No rubber strap on the jack on the GS, but I did check in that vicinity.
Old 08-27-06, 03:04 PM
larrs
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
usually it's put together with the tools in the back. if you can't find it, you should contact your sales person

Thanks. I'm going to go to the dealer tomorrow and ask for a matching key. If they don't have it, I will ask for a new set of locks and key to be put on.
Old 08-27-06, 04:21 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The wheel lock key's is in the spare tire area....

It looks like a socket. Sometimes it's in the leatherette tool pouch or attached to the lug wrench. Don't be shocked if they show it to you at the dealership....

Are you sure your dealership didn't do the rotation? We not only rotate we will rebalance the wheel/tires again before remounting. The dealer has a caddy with all of the Wheel lock sockets so they usually wouldn't disturb yours. If they did not do it just ask them to do it for you and they will...

Rock
Old 08-27-06, 04:42 PM
larrs
Driver

Originally Posted by Rockville
It looks like a socket. Sometimes it's in the leatherette tool pouch or attached to the lug wrench. Don't be shocked if they show it to you at the dealership....

Are you sure your dealership didn't do the rotation? We not only rotate we will rebalance the wheel/tires again before remounting. The dealer has a caddy with all of the Wheel lock sockets so they usually wouldn't disturb yours. If they did not do it just ask them to do it for you and they will...

Rock
Thanks.

I don't have a tool pouch ... the tools are in a tray in the trunk. I've had wheel locks before, so I know what the key looks like. I'll be happy for them to just show me where it is.

The reason I think they didn't do the rotation is that when I asked at the time, the service advisor said it wasn't part of the service. Also, the paperwork does not list it as part of the 5K service. I got to wondering, and checking the owner's manual and found that it should have been included.

Trending Topics

Old 08-27-06, 04:57 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Just curious Larrs, are you happy with your...

Vaistech unit? They're a little bulky but they do the trick.

Of course, the GS has those styrofoam tool trays. In my mind's eye the wheel lock is in a clear plastic heavy zip lock near the jack on the right...

I guess dealerships vary on services but this is the first time I've heard that the 5k rotation was omitted. Some dealers do more than is required and can charge accordingly more for their services. The dealership gets paid by Lexus to do the 5k so if its required then they have to comply...

Rock
Old 08-27-06, 05:03 PM
larrs
Driver

Rock,

I'm happy with the VAIS unit for the most part. Voice control doesn't work ... VAIS says they're working on that. When you go from SAT1 to SAT2, it stays on the the same channel rather than going to whatever the last one was on SAT2. Other than that, it integrates very nicely and I'm happy with it.

Thanks for the advice, I will go to the dealer tomorrow to get the key and rotation sorted out. I did get the McGard registration card and order form with the paperwork, so I guess I could order a key; but one should have come with the car. I didn't see anything near the jack like you described.
Old 08-27-06, 05:06 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree with your decision on tire rotation and rebalance every five thousand with your AWD.
You get much better mileage out of the set.
Old 08-27-06, 07:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by larrs
Thanks. I'm going to go to the dealer tomorrow and ask for a matching key. If they don't have it, I will ask for a new set of locks and key to be put on.
imh if you can't find the key, then dealership has to get your one free. that's part of the deal
Old 08-28-06, 02:36 PM
larrs
Driver

All issues resolved ...

Service advisor first said tire rotation at 5K isn't recommended for this model; then said, they do it as part of the 5K service but it's not listed on the work order; finally agreed to do the rotation. He stated that tire rotation was not needed at 5K because the tires haven't begun to wear yet -- I don't believe that for a second.

With regard to the wheel lock key, he also could not find the key. He was going to replace the entire set, but the tech found the key in it's black pouch way down near the left rear fender. No idea how it got there -- I've certainly never touched it before today. It's now in the tool tray.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Old 08-28-06, 04:23 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

larrs, mind telling us which dealer this is that didn't want to do the 5k tire rotation?
Old 08-28-06, 05:41 PM
larrs
Driver

Well, I'm not trying to bash them. I went over there today without an appointment and they took care of me ... had me out in 30 minutes.
Old 08-28-06, 06:20 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nobody is saying you're bashing them. I'm just curious which dealer this is because I'm in NY as well. The only dealer I've taken my car to is Rallye and they've been pretty good thus far.

Quick Reply: A dumb question, where's the wheel lock key?