GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lexus GS350 or Acura RL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-06, 10:50 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

gs350 is the way to go....heh ...well most ppl would pick that since this is the lexus 3gs discussion forum...lol
Old 09-03-06, 11:57 AM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've seen 1yr old rl's sell recently for $40k at carmax. that's a $10k depreciation in one yr!!! (orig price was $50k)
Old 09-04-06, 12:12 PM
foshizzle
Rookie

Looks wise, the RL doesnt appeal to me. GS all the way
Old 09-04-06, 07:20 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would take the Lexus. As some previous people have mentioned...

Higher prestige
Slightly better quality of material
Dealership service and cleansiness is top notch
Resale value (I think the GS350 should hold up better than the GS300 and forget about the RL resale)

I'm just waiting two years until my mortgage is paid off and my kids out of daycare and GS350 AWD land here I come...
Old 09-04-06, 09:45 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

loving lexus id still go with the RL. their new all wheel drive system is CRAZY!!!! sick amazing idea. and i think the car looks better. when ur parents are loaded who cares about gas milage
Old 09-04-06, 09:55 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Slightly better quality of material
read mmarshall's review on the RL. He said the build quality is equal, if not better than the GS.

So it's not always Lexus > Acura simply because it's a lexus
Old 09-05-06, 01:12 AM
jiggawho0o
Driver School Candidate

I came from an Acura TSX to GS300. Quite frankly, I think Acura interiors are bomb, and I thought the Acura (I think pioneer makes them) navs are easier to use.

But I love roling in a Lex, but if brand name means nothing for you, I like the RL.
Old 09-05-06, 10:06 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by GSteg
read mmarshall's review on the RL. He said the build quality is equal, if not better than the GS.

So it's not always Lexus > Acura simply because it's a lexus
I agree that it's not always Lexus > Acura, but in most cases it is. I have sat in the 2006 GS and RL and both are excellent and fine interiors, but styling like interior quality are somewhat subjective points of view. Both vehicles have their cheapy plastic parts (center arm rest on both), but I personally felt that the GS was slightly better than the RL, but not by any extent where it would sway me one way or the other.

I was never a proponent of wood in vehicles and never understood the 'luxury' aspect of it. It always seemed very 1930's to me, with wood panels here and there, but if we go with wood as being a luxury item then to compete in a luxury market where the big boys play with real wood, why is Acura still using faux wood on their vehicles (except the RL) ? The MDX interior looks terrible with the way-fake wood panels. If you don't want to use wood (possibly to save trees) then don't use wood paneling. Go TOTALLY against the norm and let the consumer decide what looks good or bad.

Further to what I had written, and other's posts, if real world pricing is $52K to $44K for GS vs. RL, then the RL needs to be closely looked at for sure because the difference of the two is not worth $8K in my mind....
Old 09-05-06, 10:48 AM
HemantS
Driver

I personally prefer the GS styling over the RL. But if they are indifferent, the RL is a fantastic vehicle.
Old 09-05-06, 02:08 PM
LexFather

I've said this in another thread. People love to recommened the RL but never spend their own money on it! Think about that for a second. Great car but just overwhelmed by the competition.
Old 09-05-06, 04:57 PM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I've said this in another thread. People love to recommened the RL but never spend their own money on it! Think about that for a second. Great car but just overwhelmed by the competition.
Exactly.

If the RL was such as great car, and I'm not saying that it isn't, why do you hardly ever see one on the road?

The RL has suffered the same fate for the last 10 years. Poor sales because its overwhelmed by the competition.
Old 09-05-06, 06:06 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Badge

I know a few people who had to choose between a GS & RL; for those who went w/ the GS, it was pretty much because they wanted a Lexus. Never really had a reason to dislike the RL or even any reason why the GS was better other than name value ...

On the other side of the coin, those who chose the RL did so bc of its value.
Old 09-05-06, 06:45 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The reason ppl go for the GS is because Acura commands no prestige in comparison. They treat their customers like slime and Lexus doesn't.
Old 09-05-06, 07:02 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that my calculations can be proven, but I assume that the majority of GS's are leased. Of those leased, the majority can't afford the payments (i.e. taking away from their savings to pay the lease); mostly due to the driver wanting to drive a 'trophy' car.

On the other hand, I assume the majority of RLs are leased. But of those leased, the majority of drivers can afford the lease. And if more RLs are bought, I would think that the ratio of RL purchases are greater then the GS.

I currently own (i.e.: bought) a 2005 RL. I cross shopped the GS and M35 and the RL narrowly won me over due to its ergonomics. Everthing is within easy reach sitting in the RL and you don't have to squint your eyes or turn your head forty-five degrees to find a switch. It was the ergonomics of the RL that made the GS a very close second choice.

With all that said, I've had my RL for sale for 6 weeks and I can't give the darn thing away (10 months old, 8,000 miles and asking $37K; bought for $40.8K +TTL). Can't sell mostly because either the buyer has to come up with the cash or I'd have to carry paper. I'm selling the RL for a couple reasons (none being reliabilty or aesthetics). The main reason being I no longer see a car as an investment (I"ll be leasing my next car). With its poor resale value, I'm getting out now and take the small loss.

I'm looking at leasing the GS350 for two main reasons: The residual should be high (%56+) and should I need service, the dealer is within walking distance (very important factor for me). If I had an Acura dealer closer then 8 miles away and leasing was equivalent to the GS, I'd lease the RL. The RL doesn't deserve 98% of the bad press it has received. It's a great car and for $40K, if you don't need to drive a trophy car, this is the car to choose. My opinion has nothing to do with emotion or brand loyalty. If you will buy and hold on to the car for 6+ years, the RL is the very best bang for the buck in the under $50K car market.
Old 09-05-06, 07:58 PM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bushwack
Not that my calculations can be proven, but I assume that the majority of GS's are leased. Of those leased, the majority can't afford the payments (i.e. taking away from their savings to pay the lease); mostly due to the driver wanting to drive a 'trophy' car.

On the other hand, I assume the majority of RLs are leased. But of those leased, the majority of drivers can afford the lease. And if more RLs are bought, I would think that the ratio of RL purchases are greater then the GS.
These two cars are about the same price, actually the GS is cheaper if you don't load it up - how in the world do you figure that Lexus drivers can't afford to buy their cars?

Quick Reply: Lexus GS350 or Acura RL?