GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Test drove a GS350 yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-06, 09:33 AM
RandalR
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjl12
i'm sure this has been said, but how the heck is Lexus going to sell the current 430, when the 350 has more hp than the 430? I'd hate to be a salesman trying to push the 430...talk about torque all you want, but my guess is that the 430 is going to die a slow death until the 460 arrives.
Some people (even on this board) just have to have a V8 - others can't be seen in anything less than the flagship model of any car line. The GS430 has VDIM and the GS350 doesn't, and it also has more low-end torque so it gives you more of that sports-car-like initial acceleration. So there are a few differences, and since the 2007 GS430 has the Gen 5 Nav I'm sure some buyers will opt for it. It would seem to be unwise, though, not to wait for the GS460 or GS500 if the aforementioned qualities are important to you. People may just lease a GS430 for a year or so, then buy the better V8 model that is coming.
Old 09-09-06, 09:56 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by V8Lexus
anyway you're talking about saving money by buying the V6 version tunedRX? well then i guess ill see you in my rearview :-D enjoy saving money. as my GS stands i can already smoke your 350 but that doesnt mean i wont be picking up a gs460 as soon as it comes out. i still stand by the fact that 8 cylinders in a car weighing as much as ours do makes more sense than 6 cylinders in the same car. not to mention my engine can do more work with less stress on it which equates to more longevity out of the engine. good luck with that 11.8:1 compression :-D
Now I understand why you posted earlier
maybe im just bitter cause my V8 now has to compete with the V6s until i can finally get my hands on a new V8
Old 09-09-06, 10:43 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

MPLexus that was my point, just like the RX, the GS450h really isnt an astronomical difference in MPG for the premium you pay. it would definitely be a huge increase in a smaller car like compare corolla to prius, corolla about 35mpg(if you're lucky), prius with the same prude driver can attain 50mpg. but saving 2-3mpg, over a 20 gallon gas tank thats 60 miles MAX and thats being generous. and you have to drive 65mph in the slow lane like a grandma to get that mileage. for those of us with heavy right feet like me that would rather have a powerful engine in a midsize sedan the 450h isnt really purposeful. not to mention the GS350 gets nearly as good gas mileage and doesnt cost an arm and a leg.(ah there is a use for the V6 GS it seems).
the basic reason for the gs450h is mostly for performance...i believe it is MUCH faster than the GS430...plus the ability to choose between driving fast and slow to save or waste gas is up to you...while not available in non-hybrid cars...i remember reading that the difference between the gs430 with all the standard stuff that you will find in a fully loaded gs450h is roughly only 2k difference when you factor in the tax credit you wil be receiving...also could you say that the current 430 or the 460 will have the same emissions ratings as the 450h?..i doubt it...so i guess the car is mostly for people that like the hybrid technology and find it really cool that a hybrid can be really quick...i think lexus has mentioned that the hybrids for the lexus vehicles aren't really promoting mpg's...like the toyota cars...but more for performance...and the 450h shows what could be possible for a car that has a V6 engine beat other cars that have V8 engines...which in itself is amazing...well my overall belief for the car is that its for performance rather than actual saving gas... ....plus why not save the planet and drive fast at the same time...heh...would be nice to see the new LS600hL's come out and see how they do...and the new LF-A supercar that also has the hybrid technology....
Old 09-09-06, 12:56 PM
V8Lexus
Rookie

tuned rx i meant compete as in i have to listen to v6 owners like you spouting off about your engine when my car stock doesnt have the HP bragging rights(mind you mine makes over 400hp as it sits right now so im not worried at all about competing with a gs350 on the street).
Old 09-09-06, 02:10 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tuned rx i meant compete as in i have to listen to v6 owners like you spouting off about your engine when my car stock doesnt have the HP bragging rights(mind you mine makes over 400hp as it sits right now so im not worried at all about competing with a gs350 on the street).
your GS430 makes over 400hp as it sits? how is this?
Old 09-09-06, 09:24 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

yea...i would like to know too! ...heh then why get a gs460?
Old 09-09-06, 10:22 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Do you have any dyno charts for us to see?

Any well respected 2nd Gen GS400/430 owner will call this out unless you're running an elaborate forced induction setup.

Last edited by flipside909; 09-09-06 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-09-06, 10:24 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by jjl12
does anyone have a pic of the 18" rims that the GS350 will come with? THey're different than the current rim?
It's the exact same 5 spoke 18" graphite wheels that come standard on the GS430.
Old 09-10-06, 01:48 AM
V8Lexus
Rookie

flipside - if you didnt flame me all the time i'd be glad to share the details of how i did it. but instead, ill leave you in suspense. ;-)

crazy - because frankly im bored of this body style. i havent decided whether ill keep my gs or not its about 3/4ths paid off so ill probably just end up selling it the way it is rather than part it out since i dont want to do it all over again. im just anticipating that the gs460 will have an awesome new body style(or update from current) and cool new features, that and the fact that its a new gs v8 with nearly 400hp in STOCK trim have already sold me on it.

crazy - also, congrats on getting a 450h, i havent found one around so i dont know what it drives like but from what ive heard its insane. until i actually spoke to 450h owners and read the specs on it i was under the impression it was just for mileage but damn the fact that it is both a gas sipper and a thoroughbred in the same package is amazing! congratulations!
Old 09-10-06, 05:34 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

flipside - if you didnt flame me all the time i'd be glad to share the details of how i did it. but instead, ill leave you in suspense. ;-)

!
please. you really think ANYONE believes your crap anymore?

it's becoming very clear how full of sh#t you are. so you're trying to tell us you have the only NA 400hp GS430 in the world and you are also the only one on earth that can program a lexus ecu?

you sound like a 14 year old making up stories. zero credibility for you.
Old 09-10-06, 09:06 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Did I flame you? All I asked was a simple question. 400HP is all hearsay.
Old 09-10-06, 09:32 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by chuckb
please. you really think ANYONE believes your crap anymore?

it's becoming very clear how full of sh#t you are. so you're trying to tell us you have the only NA 400hp GS430 in the world and you are also the only one on earth that can program a lexus ecu?

you sound like a 14 year old making up stories. zero credibility for you.
Though Chuck as a little harsh, V8Power you have now taken this thread from the GS 350 to you having a stock 400hp GS with no proof.

Also Flipside is a well respected Clublexus member who is our editor and also does deal with Lexus almost daily, so we are very well aware of his credentials.

Lets move back to GS 350 talk please.

Old 09-10-06, 10:14 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Though Chuck as a little harsh.......Lets move back to GS 350 talk please.
can we see his 400hp na gs430 first?
Old 09-10-06, 10:40 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

crazy - because frankly im bored of this body style. i havent decided whether ill keep my gs or not its about 3/4ths paid off so ill probably just end up selling it the way it is rather than part it out since i dont want to do it all over again.
I probably shouldn't ask but I'm just too curious.

You're bored with the 3GS body style? A style that has been out only a year? Why?
Old 09-10-06, 11:56 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RandalR
Some people (even on this board) just have to have a V8 - others can't be seen in anything less than the flagship model of any car line. The GS430 has VDIM and the GS350 doesn't, and it also has more low-end torque so it gives you more of that sports-car-like initial acceleration. So there are a few differences, and since the 2007 GS430 has the Gen 5 Nav I'm sure some buyers will opt for it. It would seem to be unwise, though, not to wait for the GS460 or GS500 if the aforementioned qualities are important to you. People may just lease a GS430 for a year or so, then buy the better V8 model that is coming.
Good points. The '07 will be a hard sell. As much as I love having a V8, I would probably choose the GS350 over the GS430 if I had to pick right now.

Your leasing point has some merit. My GS430 is the first car I've ever leased. Even back in May of '05, there were rumors of the new V8. It was enough to convince me to lease for now. Spring of '07 can't come soon enough

Quick Reply: Test drove a GS350 yesterday.