GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Test drove a GS350 yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-06, 04:14 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay here it is a real review. I now have GS350AWD rep car. For those of you who don't know me I work for Lexus eastern headquater at Lexus Corp in NJ. Anyways the biggest difference is the brakes and the great new Nav system. They feel a lot more aggresive then those on the GS3. Now my co workers feel the same exact way as I do the car does not seem any faster at all. Maybe when your at 50mph and then slam on it. But other then that it does not feel anyway like the IS350. Infact the engine makes this real ugly annoying noise when you hit it hard. It almost sound like a bad whistle. When you test drive it listen to it and you will hear it. On sat I was with my friend who has a GS3 and we lined up my 350 and I swear to you we were neck to neck but had to stop because the parking lot ended. I really thought it was going to be a rocket. Maybe it's because it's AWD. If your on the fence about getting a GS300 or GS350 I uster say go with the 300 but there is issues with the 3.0 engine burning oil so I would stay away from it if you could. What seems to be happening is after 20,000 miles the car for some reason starts to run real rich, so rich that it burns off to much oil causing the car to burn to much oil making the oil light to come on and Lexus so far has no fix and since the engine is gone I don't see them making any attemps in doing anything. When this first problem happened early they blamed it on the 02 sensors but it seems to be something that gets much worst as you get more miles on it! I don't get!
Old 09-10-06, 04:56 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by purebliss
Okay here it is a real review. I now have GS350AWD rep car. For those of you who don't know me I work for Lexus eastern headquater at Lexus Corp in NJ. Anyways the biggest difference is the brakes and the great new Nav system. They feel a lot more aggresive then those on the GS3. Now my co workers feel the same exact way as I do the car does not seem any faster at all. Maybe when your at 50mph and then slam on it. But other then that it does not feel anyway like the IS350. Infact the engine makes this real ugly annoying noise when you hit it hard. It almost sound like a bad whistle. When you test drive it listen to it and you will hear it. On sat I was with my friend who has a GS3 and we lined up my 350 and I swear to you we were neck to neck but had to stop because the parking lot ended. I really thought it was going to be a rocket. Maybe it's because it's AWD. If your on the fence about getting a GS300 or GS350 I uster say go with the 300 but there is issues with the 3.0 engine burning oil so I would stay away from it if you could. What seems to be happening is after 20,000 miles the car for some reason starts to run real rich, so rich that it burns off to much oil causing the car to burn to much oil making the oil light to come on and Lexus so far has no fix and since the engine is gone I don't see them making any attemps in doing anything. When this first problem happened early they blamed it on the 02 sensors but it seems to be something that gets much worst as you get more miles on it! I don't get!
Now I've finally heard something that could make me regret getting the GS300. At least the car will be under warranty. I think I'll start changing the oil every 3k miles instead of the recommended 5k. Maybe it'll help, maybe it won't.
Old 09-10-06, 07:36 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Good points. The '07 will be a hard sell. As much as I love having a V8, I would probably choose the GS350 over the GS430 if I had to pick right now.

Your leasing point has some merit. My GS430 is the first car I've ever leased. Even back in May of '05, there were rumors of the new V8. It was enough to convince me to lease for now. Spring of '07 can't come soon enough

heh...this is assuming that it does come out in Spring 07...which is basically right around the corner...
Old 09-10-06, 09:17 PM
V8Lexus
Rookie

i never said it was 400hp naturally aspirated. you're making assumptions again. i merely said i wouldnt divulge my mods to those people who were flaming me. like i said i can crack a lexus ecu if i had the time and tools to do it. ive done it with other makes and models. my GS has 400hp, is not stock, i wont say whether its naturally aspirated or not ;-) ill leave you guys in suspense(its not all-motor). it doesnt matter how well respected flipside is, its simply the fact that it seems hes threatened when someone tells him something like reprogramming a lexus ecu IS possible. anyway ive got better things to do than argue about this so your words will fall upon deaf ears. feel free to keep posting meanwhile ill be out having fun with my GS. and chuck, if lexus could make a tame GS with 290hp on motor alone its not completely ridiculous to imagine a modified all-motor one could make 400 horsepower. there are guys with street driven hondas displacing only 2 liters and making over 220 horsepower. thats more than 100 horsepower per liter. so that being said, 400 from a 4.3 isnt completely ridiculous. if ferrari can pull out 400 horsepower from a highly tuned and well built 3.6 liter v8 then its sure possible for someone with access to the right parts and enough money to make 400hp from a toyota 4.3 v8. like i said before my car isnt all-motor so you all need to quit jumping to conclusions. i never once said my car made 400hp on just the motor alone, nor did i say it had 400hp stock, quit making things up.
Old 09-10-06, 09:20 PM
V8Lexus
Rookie

1sicklex, im not doubting flipside's credentials, but you, flipside, and i all know full well that it isnt impossible to crack the lexus ecu.
Old 09-10-06, 11:20 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by V8Lexus
1sicklex, im not doubting flipside's credentials, but you, flipside, and i all know full well that it isnt impossible to crack the lexus ecu.
Dude, you can crack it, but you won't be able to do anything once you are in there. Not that you don't have the smarts (although the fact that you can not find the shift key does not bode well), but the Lexus engineers have gotten all they can out of that motor. Sure you can say that "oh but they have to deal with emissions", etc... but the fact is, there is nothing left in the GS400/430 ECU that you could do that would help with the power in any significant way.
Old 09-11-06, 04:01 AM
scottmyers
Pole Position

This thread needs to die, or start a new one.
Has no barring on the original post.
Old 09-11-06, 06:57 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by scottmyers
This thread needs to die, or start a new one.
Has no barring on the original post.
I agree. Closed.