GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 vs 530i vs E350

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-06, 06:02 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't get me wrong I like Bimmers but the promblems I had with my last 5 turned me against it. I know the Lex can't out perform the Bimmer but as far as luxury feel, eye-catching and smooth driving the Lex is hand down better IMO.
I think that Lexus has figured out what the consumer wants in a luxury car.
Old 10-10-06, 07:15 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

as far by technology goes...i don't know what car company has the newest...but i do know that lexus is the leading maker of hybrids for their cars...and bmw and the rest are trying to catch up....
Old 10-10-06, 09:34 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
Don't get me wrong I like Bimmers but the promblems I had with my last 5 turned me against it. I know the Lex can't out perform the Bimmer but as far as luxury feel, eye-catching and smooth driving the Lex is hand down better IMO.
I think that Lexus has figured out what the consumer wants in a luxury car.
Shawnmack - I didn't mean to make it sound like your issues were small. I know they were huge and I know there are other 5-series owners who have had serious issues. It happens with any car maker, but I think that the Germans who really like to push the technology envelope get smacked with it more than anyone.

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
as far by technology goes...i don't know what car company has the newest...but i do know that lexus is the leading maker of hybrids for their cars...and bmw and the rest are trying to catch up....
Yes - nobody does hybrids like Toyota. I'm not sure the others are trying to catch up so much as trying to push their technologies (hydrogen, bluetec, etc) out the door.
Old 10-10-06, 09:54 AM
Fujifuzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus is far ahead of the technology curve. Think about it, any other car manufactures come out with park assist? If so, I guess I'm a little behind.
Old 10-10-06, 10:28 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fujifuzz
Lexus is far ahead of the technology curve. Think about it, any other car manufactures come out with park assist? If so, I guess I'm a little behind.
While other automakers have shown this, and Toyota I think has it in Europe and Japan already, the LS460 will be the first car to have it on our shores. But let me tell you, if that's what you are baseing Lexus being ahead of the technology curve then you are missing a lot of other things that it is behind on.
Old 10-10-06, 10:39 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Yea. Others have the technology for park assist already, but lexus is the first to put it into production. I'm sure the guys a Honda, BMW, Mercedes, etc aren't just sitting back and watching Toyota do everything
Old 10-10-06, 05:13 PM
AudiMan
Driver

there are different types of technology, it doesn't always have to be related to performance, luxury, or convenience
Old 10-10-06, 05:44 PM
hokietech
Driver School Candidate

550i, you will pay for what you get!!
Old 10-10-06, 06:26 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hokietech
you will pay a lot...heh...1 for the car...2 for the CC's the engine has in govt. costs for higher displacements and in fuel...3 probably the car will get keyed real bad knowing taiwan...and 4 already hard to drive around taiwan, especially taipei in a car...
Old 10-10-06, 07:56 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hokietech
Or ... You get what you pay for

Old 10-11-06, 01:12 AM
Raptor.1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doug_999
While other automakers have shown this, and Toyota I think has it in Europe and Japan already, the LS460 will be the first car to have it on our shores. But let me tell you, if that's what you are baseing Lexus being ahead of the technology curve then you are missing a lot of other things that it is behind on.
So what kind of things is Lexus behind on? You mentioned night vision and heads up display. Yes these are technologies that Lexus does not have but think about it. HUD has been out for many years and basically has turned out to be a flop. Night vision is relatively new but what are we talking about here. I have seen this and you have to totally look away from the road to see the image, which is not safe at all~ Simply put, the reason Lexus is a better car is because they only put out proven technology "that works." They are on the cutting edge but they have a much higher standard of reliability than BMW and Lexus wants to hold that reputation, BMW can’t say this and is not even in the same ballpark. Lexus's target is for the smart buyer who wants it all and wants it too work without paying a premium without the chance of getting screwed. I look more at the bigger picture and Lexus is looking to appeal more to the masses with the idea that they are going to do it better than anyone else. They are doing exactly that. Sure they are not the complete package just yet, but they are getting there faster than any car manufacturer in history, it is only a matter of time.

Last edited by Raptor.1; 10-11-06 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-11-06, 08:58 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Raptor.1
So what kind of things is Lexus behind on? You mentioned night vision and heads up display. Yes these are technologies that Lexus does not have but think about it. HUD has been out for many years and basically has turned out to be a flop. Night vision is relatively new but what are we talking about here. I have seen this and you have to totally look away from the road to see the image, which is not safe at all~ Simply put, the reason Lexus is a better car is because they only put out proven technology "that works." They are on the cutting edge but they have a much higher standard of reliability than BMW and Lexus wants to hold that reputation, BMW can’t say this and is not even in the same ballpark. Lexus's target is for the smart buyer who wants it all and wants it too work without paying a premium without the chance of getting screwed. I look more at the bigger picture and Lexus is looking to appeal more to the masses with the idea that they are going to do it better than anyone else. They are doing exactly that. Sure they are not the complete package just yet, but they are getting there faster than any car manufacturer in history, it is only a matter of time.
The BMW HUD display works really well - people who have it swear by it - especially if you have NAV. The only option I regret not getting (but it would have pushed my MSRP over the magic $70K number).

There are so many other little things the Germans do - I remember reading somewhere that an S class had over 100 motors on it - even for things like re-positioning the wiper blades if they had not moved for a while or they detected snow/ice and had to park differently. My 2000 540 had things like one turn start (just turn the key and let go, it cranks until the motor goes), three level heated seats, auto on wipers, LED lighting for the cabin, and a host of other things that my 2003 Lexus did not have. These are just some examples - I personally don't think it is worth arguing about however...

I do agree with your assessment of the Lexus buyer - 100%. They want stuff that works and if something is not proven, then they are fine waiting for it until it is.

The German buyer however does want the latest greatest stuff - even if it means it doesn't work perfectly or breaks more often.

Now I have to go - I need to get my BMW IPOD integration kit installed
Old 10-11-06, 10:48 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Doug999 I totally agree with your statment I think Japanese luxury companies don't introduce anything until it's perfect but it's behind the german car company. My CL does things I can't even imagine but I'm always afraid it's not going to work. But trust me I know my Acura and Lexus will crank up everytime I turn the key and I don't have to worry is something going to work.
Old 10-11-06, 11:24 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

That's why another term for cutting edge technology is "bleeding edge" technology : the first time adopter of new tech always suffers--pay more since the market hasn't matured and become the unwitting guinea pig for manufacturers to try out untested products on.

They "bleed" for the benefit for the consumers who come after them.

In a way, we shouldn't knock German car owners. They pay the premium for untested tech and suffer the inconvenience of unreliable products so that we Japanese car owners can reap the benefits later
Old 10-11-06, 02:01 PM
AudiMan
Driver

My audi is 6 years old and its got things that lexus didn't have for for a while. One touch up/down windows all around, motion sensors for the alarm so if windows are down and alarm is armed nobody can reach into your car w/o it going bizerk. Whats the point of having nice new toys if they won't work right and break? Oh i know, just so everyone else knows you have them and they think they work. Thats all that matters. Shallow americans!

Quick Reply: GS350 vs 530i vs E350