GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 vs 530i vs E350

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-06, 04:38 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chiawei
3. JIT and whole TQM model are not invented by Toyota but by American. Toyota was the 1st to adapt this concept. Don't try to start on this subject as this was my field of concernration when I got my MBA along with my Master in EE.
I'll bite. Yes, JIT isn't Japanese. Ohno got this from an American supermarket. The rest of TPS (jidoka, eliminating waste, heijunka, the "pull" system, as well as the tools: standardized work, yamazumi boards, kaizen) are all Ohno, all the time. TQM...total quality method? That sounds like an Americanized version of the Toyoda family's ideas on jidoka (intelligent automation, pokayokes, etc.). The Toyoda automatic loom (ca. 1910) was the first successful implementation of this, kick-starting not just this QA method, but the elimination of "muda", or waste.

4. Toyota perfected manufacturing? I guess Toyota must have done a great job as last two years has been disaster for Toyota from quality point of view. You do know that Quality is designed in via good engineering and manufacturing process. The fact of matter is that the last two years is where Toyota's once proud manufacturing system has failed miserably.
Yes, TPS currently needs work. Part of this is the dramatic increase in Toyota's dependence on a North American manufacturing base, and the incredible growth period Toyota is going through here in North America. I should know, its why they hired me and 100 other engineers this year.

Have you actually see the Toyota line at Fremont. (I actually had the luck to visit all three places).
I work there. Its an AWFUL implementation of TPS. Did you know the passenger assembly line is over a quarter of a mile longer than it needs to be? Talk about wasted movement. And not to fault anyone who works there that may be reading, but even the "pull" system of manufacturing is falling apart, with team members working ahead just to get an extra break.

Do you really know the true meaning of JIT? Do you really know what is JIT? Don't give me textbook answer. Why don't you ask someone that work in this field and give you the truth about JIT.
I'd like to think I do now, having studied it intensively as part of my orientation to Toyota. The truth about JIT is that it works incredibly well, and helps to eliminate wasted inventory and work.
Old 10-22-06, 05:18 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the order I'd choose :

1) GS350 - Best value though some styling elements are off, like the
much maligned hatch-like styling (the rear is the least attractive part
of the car). The stock 17'' wheels are also awful and I feel the car
requires a front lip.
2) E350 - Most prestige, beautiful interior, but awful quality. It is
also more of an "old" man type car. It can be confused with half
a dozen different Benzes. It's no CLS.
3) 530i - Sportiest but also one of the worst looking cars on the
road.

All good cars, but they all have their flaws.
Old 10-22-06, 06:01 PM
LexFather

Seriously, we know Toyota has of late had a slip in quality and its no coincidence production is an all time high...
For ANYONE to say Toyota quality is not good basing it on a few recent VOLUNTARY recalls in a couple years INSTEAD of basing it on, oh, THE LAST 40 YEARS should take a lesson in debate.

40>2
Toyota=QUALITY, the MAIN reason people buy them.....

All this BMW vs Toyota/Lexus banter is very OLD at this point. Both companies are doing better than they have ever been and we as consumers are enjoying that (and those of us that are shareholders in Toyota are enjoying that too!)
Old 10-22-06, 06:01 PM
LexFather

Now can we please get this back on topic
Old 10-22-06, 07:26 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

2. I see plenty of old E28 around as well. Not to mention the E34, E30.... Again, you are generalizing. The fact of matter is that I probably see more old BMW around in my area than I do of old lexus.
BMW is less reliable than Lexus. There are many surveys done by JD Power, CR that confirm this.

3. JIT and whole TQM model are not invented by Toyota but by American. Toyota was the 1st to adapt this concept. Don't try to start on this subject as this was my field of concernration when I got my MBA along with my Master in EE.
I'm finishing off a ChemE and I'll be getting my MBA soon enough. That's the way it was taught to me.

5. You are really behind supply chain issues. BMW probably has one of the best flexibility of all auto manufacturer. I don't see toyota does anything with individual program. Have you actually look at BMW's line in dingolfing or Rosenburg? Have you actually see the Toyota line at Fremont. (I actually had the luck to visit all three places).
Why not compare a Toyota mega-plant like the one at Tahara?

Don't talk smack until you really look into both company. Do you really know the true meaning of JIT? Do you really know what is JIT? Don't give me textbook answer. Why don't you ask someone that work in this field and give you the truth about JIT.
One of my instructors was a retired ~55yr old multi-millionaire who worked in the field. I learned from his notes.

2. I seriously see any Toyota runs at 900HP on stock trannies, differentials, and engines. I would like to see example of that.
2JZ-GTE/Getrag 6spd.

Trannies taken over 1500hp
Stock internals minus valve work has taken over 900hp

The most relevant question would be, do you really need a 8 speed automatic. Does Lexus's 8 speed give LS advantage over the competition? Last time i check, the LS460's 0-60 was at a mere 6.0 by car and driver. The top speed is limited to 130mph. Why do you need a 8 speed?
that was a preproduction model, initial IS350's were running 6.0sec 0-60 as well.

Again, marketing gimmick over real need.
It's an all new transmission which is more compact and lighter than the previous generation, time will tell.

SMG has been failing????
Where did you get that idea?
SMG actually has never failed until SMGIII arrived with the M5.
Never?
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...74&postcount=2

There are more examples on the BMW board.

Show me a porsche and corvette that carries 4 and does what M5 does on the track.
I don't understand why get 4 doors?

BTW, the C06 Corvette is a great car but it is not as stable when approaching its limit. M5 on the other hand are much more stable when pushed to the limit. Corvette is more fun to drive. But it's different type of car. Which is something that I don't think you get either.
GT3 is stable at the limit, the Viper is more stable as well. The general market doesn't get it either Corvettes and 996's outsell M5's/M6's/E55's, etc.
Old 10-22-06, 07:39 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by doug_999
Tell you what - why don't you learn a little more about BMW and their incredible production capabilities before you write stuff that makes you look silly. Here's some reading for you - report back with your thoughts if you like.
Me silly maybe, but coming from the residant BMW salesman on a Lexus board thats a bit strange.
I do plenty of reading, I subscribe to businessweek and WSJ.

Just as an FYI the HUD and rainsensing wipers which you love so dearly are from General Motors not Germany.

BMW beat LX470 to the market.
???
Nope, LX470 had it first.
Old 10-22-06, 07:40 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Now can we please get this back on topic
yes!
Old 10-22-06, 09:14 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
Why not compare a Toyota mega-plant like the one at Tahara?
I apologize for what 1SICKLEX et al are going to consider drifting further off-topic, but you don't even need to go to japan to see one of the largest Toyota plants in the world. Its located in Georgetown, KY, and is the home of every Toyota Camry sold in the US, as well as the Solara and the Avalon. Even the difference between it and Fremont is astounding.