GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Does anyone else feel a bit pretentious?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-06, 04:04 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first Lexus was a CPO `94 SC400 that I purchased in `95. I was very self conscious whenever I drove it. Fortunately, I had lunch with a former colleague and mentor shortly after I bought that car and told them how I felt. They asked me two questions that solved my problem and which I will share with you - 1. Can you afford it? 2. Why don't you deserve it? I am assuming that your answers to those questions will mirror mine.

I also appreciate your concern for others. It's good to be sensitive about the situation of others. However, it's still possible to be a good, caring person and have nice things for yourself; these are not mutually exclusive concepts. Guilt feelings only come into play when something is undeserved.
Old 10-19-06, 06:28 AM
skeet94
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL Don't give in to this crap! I'm only 23 and driving the Aristo I get ALOT of people giving me "bad" looks. I get called a rich kid driving in my old mans car by people who don't know me. What do I do? Ignore them and their comments. I'm not some rich kid, I paid good hard earnt money for the car and don't care about what anybody might think. When people compare me and my car to people who've had handouts from their parents it's when I get pissed off and just say "don't insult me". Be proud of what you have whether others like it or not . You worked hard for it, you paid for it and you own it!! .
Old 10-19-06, 09:46 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I used to really get bothered with the questions and harassment when I got the white car, I'ma car guy so I'm not all into the nameplates and all that crap, but people obviously are. It gets annoying when people just walk up and ask "So......how do YOU afford to drive something like this???" (I always love the emphasis they put on the "YOU").

At the end of the day you cannot allow other people to force their limited perspectives and aspirations on you. Most people that say things like that have no means or foresight to acquire the object of conversation, then they attempt to force their opinion on you. Unless your walking around bragging every ten minutes about your new Lex then pay them no mind!!
Old 10-19-06, 10:15 PM
shorebreak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StealthAWD
When driving their Lexus around town? I live in a predominately blue collar middle class town with about 30,000 people in it. Most drive F150's chevys, fords or caddies. I have the only Lexus GS in my area of town - so I stand out when doing errands around town - and locals know me by my car.

I have had co-workers comment that Lexus is for rich snobs, or that it is just to show that you have money to burn. I make great $ and can easily afford my car, but sometimes I get the feeling that my having such a car that others look down on me, like I am trying to one-up people. Not sure if it is jealousy or not - as I am sure that is what most responses will be like, but it makes me uncomfortable to be put in that position or view , just not sure why?

Because of this, for the past few months I have been considering trading my car for something nice, but in a different class - and possibly domestic. Although I don't see that many domestic that I like.

This may be just a phase, or I may be reading too much into things - but wondering if I was alone with this type of feeling or not?
Try driving around Newport Beach, CA. My new GS 350 is rather boring sitting at the light next to a Porsche GT3 on one side and an M5 on the other...
Old 10-20-06, 08:16 AM
carlmock
Rookie

Originally Posted by shorebreak
Try driving around Newport Beach, CA. My new GS 350 is rather boring sitting at the light next to a Porsche GT3 on one side and an M5 on the other...

I really felt inferior when I was out there a few weeks ago in my toyota rav 4 rental car... at one light I was sitting next to a GT3 on the left, a MB SL65 on the right and across the way was a ferrari and aston martin.

I said to my wife, Im not sure what will make my neck hurt more by the end of the day... the hot women or the hot cars...
Old 10-20-06, 10:46 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

haha.. so true...
I work in Hollywood... My studio's just in front of the kodak theater...
I feel guite normal around here in my GS...
It's average car.....

Originally Posted by carlmock
I really felt inferior when I was out there a few weeks ago in my toyota rav 4 rental car... at one light I was sitting next to a GT3 on the left, a MB SL65 on the right and across the way was a ferrari and aston martin.

I said to my wife, Im not sure what will make my neck hurt more by the end of the day... the hot women or the hot cars...
Old 10-20-06, 12:41 PM
thiawroane
Driver School Candidate

Default Are you freakin' kidding?

When I was looking for cars, I really wanted the Ford Mustang. Newly revamped, with performance to boot. Then I looked at what a GT tricked out would cost. Dealers wanted $15-20K over list for a Shelby Cobra!!! When I drove the GS300, it was over. Handling, looks, speed, quality and luxury. It would cost more than any Mustang, but the Shelby Cobra. After 5 years of payments, with the Mustang, I'd be driving a Ford. Or a LEXUS....done.
Old 10-20-06, 12:58 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of pretentious people drive premium brand cars, but driving a premium brand car does not alone make you pretentious... it may make people ASSUME you are or be LOOKING for you to be pretentious if they just met you... but that's a stereotype you just have to work against.

I don't get it, though - I can go to my local Lexus dealer and pick up a base model GS350 for very low 40s... heck maybe even 40 flat, plus tax, with negotiations. And everybody looks at me like I'm rich. Yet my next door neighbor might be driving a fully loaded Toyota Avalon, Sienna Minivan, or 4Runner that cost all of 10 percent less than what I'm driving - and nobody gives them the evil eye.
Old 10-22-06, 08:47 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
...They asked me two questions that solved my problem and which I will share with you - 1. Can you afford it? 2. Why don't you deserve it? I am assuming that your answers to those questions will mirror mine.
Very true and good post. If you can afford it, and you worked hard to get that money to buy the car, why not get a Lexus (or BMW, or MB, or Bentley)? I actually read somewhere that most top executives and billionaires actually drive very simple cars (Lincoln Town Cars) because they don't actually drive, they're chauffeured. what a concept, not driving when you're rich ???
Old 10-24-06, 04:27 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to blend in, get a newer GTO. You can have the looks of a Grand Am and the power of a Corvette.
Old 10-24-06, 08:30 PM
CsKWarEd
Driver

This is a good topic because I've been going through the same stuff with people at work. I'm 24, fresh out of college, and a lowly software engineer. When we go to the bar, after my boss has a few drinks he likes to tell me that HE never had a LEXUS when he was 23... blah blah blah... I do feel akward sometimes because I'm the newest one on the team and I drive the nicest car... I guess it's just something I'll have to get used to being a young guy in an older man's career and car... so the stigma goes.

Old 11-01-06, 03:03 AM
speedie
Pole Position

Yeah...I had the same feeling when I just purchased my car...I had to park away from everyone else when coming to work in the morning to avoid all the chatter...but as the car got older (still looks good..don't get it twisted) and somewhat started to fit in with what these jealous bastards are used to seeing the chatter stopped..Honestly all that matters is that you feel good inside about your purchase...To me they are all haters...Keep ya head up!