GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Did you purchased the extended warranty?
Yes
29.41%
No
70.59%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Did you extend the warranty... yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-06 | 07:30 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

Default Did you extend the warranty... yes or no?

Any day now I'll be taking delivery of my new GS350. In a few other posts I noticed some of you decided to purchase the extended warranty. So I'm curious what the mix is and would love to hear your reasons for or against. And as we share our feelings on the subject let's all try to get along and play nice, shall we.

To start this off, this is my first Lexus (never owned a Toyota either ), and I have to say I was a bit surprised anybody would ever need or want to purchase an extended warranty when the brand is viewed as the pinnacle of automotive perfection (yes, Lexus marketing has worked on me ). So there you have it, that's why I'm curious on your thoughts.

Thanks for participating.
Old 10-24-06 | 08:02 PM
HKN
Lead Lap

Mine Was Part Of My Package...it Was Free...hahahaha
Old 10-24-06 | 08:34 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sbrown02
Any day now I'll be taking delivery of my new GS350. In a few other posts I noticed some of you decided to purchase the extended warranty. So I'm curious what the mix is and would love to hear your reasons for or against. And as we share our feelings on the subject let's all try to get along and play nice, shall we.

To start this off, this is my first Lexus (never owned a Toyota either ), and I have to say I was a bit surprised anybody would ever need or want to purchase an extended warranty when the brand is viewed as the pinnacle of automotive perfection (yes, Lexus marketing has worked on me ). So there you have it, that's why I'm curious on your thoughts.

Thanks for participating.
I wouldn't buy an extended warranty based on mechanical concerns...but I would based on electrical concerns. I've spoken with service reps at Cadillac, Lexus, Acura, Nissan and Buick dealerships. Each have said that 70%+ of cars serviced out of warranty are their due to electrical issues (wire harness, computer problems, relays, etc) and NOT mechanical issues. Both Cadillac and Lexus service advisors said they would recommend leasing their cars vs purchasing (to avoid owning the car out of warranty).
Old 10-24-06 | 08:50 PM
Franknyc30
Driver

i chose lexus because of their reliability, therefore i felt no need to purchase an extended warranty. jd powers states the best car for reliability for 11 or 12 years in a row. im confident i made the right choice.
Old 10-24-06 | 09:04 PM
Bongos
Rookie

you know, as long as your car is still under original warranty, you can buy the extended warranty.... just that your mileage starts at day one you bought your car, this works out if say 4 years/48,000 miles down the road and you haven't been in an accident, you can buy the extended warranty for 100,000 miles, you get the warm and fuzzy's for another 52,000 miles
Old 10-25-06 | 08:13 AM
Nidan
Driver School Candidate

I didn't buy the ext warranty either, I am going to try to keep my cars until the original warranty runs out, then get a new one. I'll know in about 3yrs 10 months.
Old 10-25-06 | 10:34 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Just remember that even though Lexus is a reliable brand, it is far from perfect. If you're out of warranty, one major repair could be quite costly. Also, it really depends how long you plan on keeping your GS. 5 years? Then it's probably not worth it. But if you plan on keeping the GS for more than 6-7 years, then it's probably worth it.

What is the price you're being offered? With my last GS, I got the 7 yr/100 k platinum warranty for $1700. Just make sure you shop around for the best price, as it will vary by dealership.
Old 10-25-06 | 01:59 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

I might consider it when the time comes...
But, I'm not planning on driving mine pass the warranty period...

It's good idea to have extended warranty when you sell your car later!
Specialy in CA... you can not buy extended warranty after the factory one expires...
Old 10-25-06 | 03:05 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
What is the price you're being offered? With my last GS, I got the 7 yr/100 k platinum warranty for $1700. Just make sure you shop around for the best price, as it will vary by dealership.
The dealer and I haven't discussed this yet, but I noticed on the Lexus website I could purchase the top of line platinum (w/0 ded.) today for about $1800. However, I've already decided I'm not going to purchase it at the point of sale, but instead wait till I'm near the end of the manufacturers warranty to decide.

Thanks
Old 10-25-06 | 05:31 PM
typeshblue
Driver

get the guarantee auto protection also know as GAP, get gap only if you put zero down
Old 10-25-06 | 08:51 PM
AlterZgo
Driver

It never makes sense to buy an extended warranty at the time you buy your car because:

1. Your car already comes w/ a bumper to bumper warranty.
2. If you were to total your car before the regular warranty wears out, you cannot get a refund for the extended warranty which did not even kick in yet.
3. If you sell your car, you won't get close to what you paid for the extended warranty.
4. As Bongos mentioned, you can buy the same exact Lexus extended warranty any time before the standard warranty wears out. If Lexus is like most of the other mfgs, buying the extended warranty several years later would only cost slightly more than buying it at the time you purchased the vehicle.
5. The dealership will usually rape you on the cost of the extended warranty at the time you buy your car. I know for Honda, Acura, Nissan, Infiniti and Toyota, there are dealers that are willing to sell you the extended warranty for a very low price. I assume you can probably find a Lexus dealer that would sell you the extended warranty for much cheaper than what your Lexus dealer is offering.
Old 12-13-06 | 09:11 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I got it. ext of 3 years over the 4 years the car comes with. Cost $2k. What makes it good is if I dont use it, I get 100% of it back at the end of the 7 year.
The GS350 has ALOT of electronics. So thats why I got it. If my LCD screen broke (not because I poked it or anything) it would be at least $1k to fix if it was out of warrenty.
And while its only for the last 3years, I bought it now because if I bought it at the end of my 4 year term, the price for it goes to $3.5k. At that cost, I might as well pay for the broken part.
Old 12-14-06 | 09:02 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
2. If you were to total your car before the regular warranty wears out, you cannot get a refund for the extended warranty which did not even kick in yet.
yes, you can, its a pro-rated refund

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
3. If you sell your car, you won't get close to what you paid for the extended warranty.
that depends on who is buying it, some may see the value, others not.
Old 12-13-07 | 12:48 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

nope didn't buy anything extra.
10 year on all my hybrid stuff, and 40K on everything else.
Definetly enough. If I keep it for that long, I will be surprised.
Old 12-13-07 | 02:05 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Extended warrany is definitely there for piece of mind. I bought one for my IS300 and never used it. Toyota/Lexus manufacturer warranty is pretty comprehensive and longer than most. Majority of us buy Lexus/Toyota because it stands for quality and longevity. For me, knowing that I bought a Lexus, extended warranty would be useless for me since I usually go past the warranty period in terms of mileage.

Quick Reply: Did you extend the warranty... yes or no?