GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tire question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-06, 01:32 PM
Eddie80
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire question

my gs300 RWD's yokohama stock tire makes noisy sound after about 10k miles. one time i went to dealership the technition said there is no any major problem with the tire just noisy so they just recommended me to change all tire to michellin. well i already read some thread about Yoko tire noisy here but i still confuse if i have to change all the tire, what kind of tire i should get.
please help me what kind of tire do u guys recommend and where i should go to get a good deal. (im living O.C cali) go to costco or dealer?
thanks for your relpy.
Old 10-26-06, 02:40 PM
crazyick
Driver School Candidate

If you change tires I would recommend going with a set from your dealer, this way you can be assured that the tires will work fine with your car (TPMS). Now as to what tires, I have next to no experience with the car to give you any advice on tire choice.
Old 10-27-06, 06:37 AM
RobS
Driver School Candidate

Eddie80, if you're looking for a good deal on tires you never go to a dealer. I am a big fan of Yokohama tires but I know they tend to be loud, especially as they wear out. My last car had Yoko Advan A046 tires which were OMG stiff, expensive and very loud (still loved them). Michelin Pilot A/S is a very nice tire. Quiet, stiff and pretty sticky. I have used them before and I think you would like them. Your best bet is to go to tirerack.com and do some research yourself. They have very competitive prices too.

I have Dunlops on my GS300 awd. They are quiet but a little too squishy for my taste. I will probably go with Michelins next. Good luck.
Old 10-27-06, 06:38 AM
HKN
Lead Lap

I Agree With ^
Old 10-27-06, 08:42 AM
crazyick
Driver School Candidate

Just keep in mind that whatever tire set you get that they work with the tire pressure monitor system (TPMS). Well keep that in mind if that is a concern for you, that was the only reason for me recommending getting a set from your dealer.
Old 10-27-06, 09:04 AM
RobS
Driver School Candidate

The TPMS sensor is on the wheel. It does not matter which tire you use or where you purchase it from. The only time you would run into problems is when you upgrade your wheels because you would need another set of sensors. It can get expensive (dealers charge an arm and a leg for those).
Old 10-27-06, 10:00 AM
hendjaz
Pole Position

Agree with the above, both on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S recommendation and the fact that TPMS is wheel related and not tire related. I changed out OEM tires to the Sport A/S last year with TPMS and watched the tire change occur and no disruption of the TPMS in the wheels ocurred. Given your CA location if you don't need A/S tires then possibly go with the Pilot Sport summer tire.
Old 10-27-06, 10:04 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agree w/ RobS and hendjaz - TPMS has nothing to do w/ the tire, only the wheel. if you are exchanging tires only, you can go anywhere you want. i got MIchelin PIlot Sport A/S from costco and love them. they are 100x better than the yoko advans in terms of comfort and road noise. i got them during one of costco's twice-a-year michelin sale $60 off set of 4. i think they are having that promo now also.

you will not be sorry after you replace them!!
Old 10-27-06, 01:07 PM
Eddie80
Driver School Candidate

thanks for all you guys advice. it was so helped. i think i rather go costo to exchang all tires. good thing is i have a $60 off coupon which is expire on next week. well i will go with michelin pilot. hopefully it works well ^^
Old 10-27-06, 03:15 PM
crazyick
Driver School Candidate

Okay, let me see if I understand this correctly (I’m a noob with this stuff ) as long as I only change tires I am fine but if I change rims then I need new sensors? The reason I ask is I thought while reading some other post’s here and there that some have had problems with changing out tires and the TPMS. If I read those posts in error then I am glad I have been reading this thread, it has set me straight!!
Old 10-27-06, 05:35 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Eddie80
thanks for all you guys advice. it was so helped. i think i rather go costo to exchang all tires. good thing is i have a $60 off coupon which is expire on next week. well i will go with michelin pilot. hopefully it works well ^^
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my new GS, and they are pretty nice tires - fairly quiet too from other GS's I drove with the Advans on them. Granted, I have <1,000 miles on the car, so my experience is limited. Most of the folks on the forum here helped me make the decision to get rid of the Yoko's right away, and I am pleased so far w/ their advice...
Old 10-27-06, 05:53 PM
Eddie80
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jaxgs350
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my new GS, and they are pretty nice tires - fairly quiet too from other GS's I drove with the Advans on them. Granted, I have <1,000 miles on the car, so my experience is limited. Most of the folks on the forum here helped me make the decision to get rid of the Yoko's right away, and I am pleased so far w/ their advice...
thanks jaxgs305. can't wait put michelin on my baby
Old 10-27-06, 06:04 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyick
Okay, let me see if I understand this correctly (I’m a noob with this stuff ) as long as I only change tires I am fine but if I change rims then I need new sensors? The reason I ask is I thought while reading some other post’s here and there that some have had problems with changing out tires and the TPMS. If I read those posts in error then I am glad I have been reading this thread, it has set me straight!!
yes - that is right. the issues people have are with new wheels which are not TPMS compatible, so you have to disable the warning system on the car.

with tires AT MOST all you'd have to do is let the tire store know they are there just in case they aren't aware and might damage them (although it'd be their fault in that case). but most tire stores are pretty savvy and TPMS are very common nowadays, so it's usually not a problem.

i've had all our cars tires changed at costco and never have a problem w/ their service. plus they have the road hazard warranty included which is a nice perk (not to mention rotations and repairs for free).
Old 10-27-06, 08:10 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default tire noise

Eddie,
Is it an almost grinding sound? Or like something is draging? I'm having noise on my GS that I really didn't notice before. Mileage is at 19K...

Thanks

Steve
Old 10-27-06, 11:09 PM
Eddie80
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GrdnRxR
Eddie,
Is it an almost grinding sound? Or like something is draging? I'm having noise on my GS that I really didn't notice before. Mileage is at 19K...

Thanks

Steve
steve, its pretty hard to explain what that noise is. but i can tell everytime i drive specially when i drive fast, i can hear some noisy louder and something is rolling very fast. well, im pretty sure i will change all tires soon to michelin. so i will let you know how it done.