GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What percent over Invoice is reasonable for a 2007 GS350 AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-06, 05:35 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we have sayings in the car business too:

buyers are liars

you know how to tell when someone is lying about the history on their trade-in? their lips are moving

always cracks me up when someone tells me they are shopping the next dealer over and got such and such a price, then i call that dealer and they tell me the price the customer got from them. theyre just TRYING playing one dealer against the other, but the truth is we know better some of the time. the lying works both ways, definitely NOT just from the dealers side, thats for sure...
Old 11-02-06, 05:38 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Franknyc30
im sorry fellas im just not buying half the posts on here about guys paying 500 or even paying at invoice for a new car at the start of the model year. the last post claims 1K UNDER invoice. do you think your walking out of a dealership thinking your stole their car right from under their very noses? they're probably making a killing on you. ill be honest i paid 1500 over invoice here in the northeast for the AWD. i visited 6 dealerships and all were pretty much in the same ballpark. all would not budge too much from their offer. i dont regret what i paid, but i didnt want to wait till the end of the year to get that great deal like everyone on here claims to be getting now.
you know how it goes, everybody always paid less for their cars and more for their houses than they really did. i dont know why it is, but thats the way it is.
Old 11-02-06, 06:02 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Firstlps
I am ready to buy but can't get a loaded rwd red GS350. So I might settle
for another color like black sapphire or should I just keep my noisey
red awd GS300?

Why is your current car noisy?
Old 11-02-06, 09:12 AM
Firstlps
Driver

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Why is your current car noisy?
TSB on rattle noises in dash and windshield areas they have not been
able to fix. They have tried 5 times already
Old 11-02-06, 10:06 AM
Tramix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jjbodean
we have sayings in the car business too:

buyers are liars

you know how to tell when someone is lying about the history on their trade-in? their lips are moving

always cracks me up when someone tells me they are shopping the next dealer over and got such and such a price, then i call that dealer and they tell me the price the customer got from them. theyre just TRYING playing one dealer against the other, but the truth is we know better some of the time. the lying works both ways, definitely NOT just from the dealers side, thats for sure...

HAHAH I couldn't agree more. Customers are the worst liars and you know exactly when they are too. And we salesman are just trying to make a dollar. If you agree to the terms than your happy and we're happy. I also love when customers say "I don't want to negotiate." Ok no problem, I come back with a price and they say "I told you, I don't want to negotiate." Of course I knew that was going to happen but then I say, "I'm not, you're the one starting it. All you have to do is sign here." Then its usually they sign or get hassled some more. It's all a game.
Old 11-02-06, 11:14 AM
Lenscap
Driver

I am ready to deal on a 07 GS350 AWD. What is a reasonable percentage over Invoice to shoot for?

- The car MSRP is 50,596 and Invoice is 44,322
I am looking at the exact same car. I have been in serious discussions with four dealers. Here are their latest offers (some started out higher and have come down):

Dealer A: $1,696 off list
Dealer B: $2,000 off list
Dealer C: $3,196 off list
Dealer D: $3,996 off list

The problem seems to be the cars are scarce, especially the ones with nav. The dealers tell me the 2006 GS was very popular with nav, yet for some reason most of the initial batches of 2007s do not have the nav.
Old 11-02-06, 11:14 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tramix
HAHAH I couldn't agree more. Customers are the worst liars and you know exactly when they are too. And we salesman are just trying to make a dollar. If you agree to the terms than your happy and we're happy. I also love when customers say "I don't want to negotiate." Ok no problem, I come back with a price and they say "I told you, I don't want to negotiate." Of course I knew that was going to happen but then I say, "I'm not, you're the one starting it. All you have to do is sign here." Then its usually they sign or get hassled some more. It's all a game.
Probably correct. That is why I asked for a reasonable percent over invoice! - I don't think $500 is reasonable. So from the salesman perspective what is reasonable in your opinion?
Old 11-02-06, 11:37 AM
Tramix
Lead Lap

Probably correct. That is why I asked for a reasonable percent over invoice! - I don't think $500 is reasonable. So from the salesman perspective what is reasonable in your opinion?

$500 over invoice on a Lexus is very reasonable. Depending on the markup which I would believe is higher than a Toyota. If i sold a car at $500 over....I make a flat which is peanuts for the amount of time I will spend with you. For the consumer yea sure that's fine deal...for a salesperson, as much as he/she can get. But there are some people out there where the price is never good enough. It's subjective....A fair deal to most people I think is when the customer thinks that he's not paying any more than the person before him did.
Old 11-02-06, 11:59 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

$500 over invoice on a Lexus is very reasonable. Depending on the markup which I would believe is higher than a Toyota. If i sold a car at $500 over....I make a flat which is peanuts for the amount of time I will spend with you. For the consumer yea sure that's fine deal...for a salesperson, as much as he/she can get. But there are some people out there where the price is never good enough. It's subjective....A fair deal to most people I think is when the customer thinks that he's not paying any more than the person before him did.
So, If I asked you for your lowest price, you'd give me price higher than your lowest price?
Old 11-02-06, 01:31 PM
NJSID
Driver

Hi guys, brand new here doing research on 2007 gs350awd and had one dealer quote 54,319 MSRP and would sell for 47,900...lexus of englewood....I did not take it..and since 10/31 its been sold....I have until december 15th to turn in my infiniti m45. lexus of bridgewater having a grand opening of its new showroom next week so maybe I try again then...any word on a new money factor for leases..curently .00275 but I heard is going down to .00175 any thoughts
Old 11-02-06, 03:08 PM
ucmyGS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by NJSID
Hi guys, brand new here doing research on 2007 gs350awd and had one dealer quote 54,319 MSRP and would sell for 47,900...lexus of englewood....I did not take it..and since 10/31 its been sold....I have until december 15th to turn in my infiniti m45. lexus of bridgewater having a grand opening of its new showroom next week so maybe I try again then...any word on a new money factor for leases..curently .00275 but I heard is going down to .00175 any thoughts
Hello NJSID,

I just bought my new GS350AWD navigation here in NYC. I'm waiting for delivery. My lexus dealer/friend can definitely get you the car you want. Lease or purchase he can help. You can send me an email (Private msg) and I can give you more info. It never hurts to see if he can beat that deal from Englewood? I presume that MSRP quote is with the ML pkg the whole works every possible option? He gave me a better quote for the ML pkg than the $47,900...so def give him a call...

But if you are pressed for time and want the car right away...just call Daniel at 646-792-2987 and tell him you are a friend of Jay's.
Old 11-02-06, 03:21 PM
Tramix
Lead Lap

So, If I asked you for your lowest price, you'd give me price higher than your lowest price?
The lowest price is the most your willing to pay for. Dealerships want to make money...so why give it all the profit if we don't have to. You have to come in with a figure. I mean I could take $1 off the price and be like that's the lowest price. Would you buy it then? We're not mind readers...if I say 40K when your looking for 35K...then where we going with this?
Old 11-02-06, 04:52 PM
AudiMan
Driver

i paid about $750 over invoice for mine and that was about 15 days after the car came to the US.
Old 11-02-06, 05:17 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

The lowest price is the most your willing to pay for. Dealerships want to make money...so why give it all the profit if we don't have to. You have to come in with a figure. I mean I could take $1 off the price and be like that's the lowest price. Would you buy it then? We're not mind readers...if I say 40K when your looking for 35K...then where we going with this?
Well - The car MSRP is 50,596 and Invoice is 44,322 - If I asked you the lowest price, and it came in under $2,000 over invoice, we would probably have a deal, I would not try to screw you down further.

If your price came in over $2,000 per invoice, since I am retired and have a lot of time on my hands I may take a trip to Cailfornia after talking to a number of dealers out there. I don't expect to get this car for $500 over invoice. I understand you guys need to make a buck.

I guess I expected that you would try to make me a deal as good as others you have sold to. IF you did, I would probably buy the rest of my cars from you for life. I don't want to try to screw the salesman, but I don't want to come in and write a check for MSRP price either.

Last edited by Cut-Throat; 11-02-06 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-02-06, 06:23 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

I guess I expected that you would try to make me a deal as good as the last guy you sold to. IF you did, I would probably buy the rest of my cars from you for life.
what if the last guy only asked for and got a $1000 discount?

Quick Reply: What percent over Invoice is reasonable for a 2007 GS350 AWD?